What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tigers Sign Halfback Josh Lewis for 2009

Spank

Juniors
Meanwhile, a new contender for the Wests Tigers halfback jersey next season has emerged with the club signing Titans pivot Josh Lewis, putting Mathew Head's future at the club in further doubt, particularly as he is sidelined with a recurring shoulder injury and a thumb problem. John Morris has another crack at the No.7 jersey that was taken from him by Head earlier in the year when the Tigers face Melbourne on Monday.

Benji Marshall is also in the mix. "I see [Marshall] as a good option for that position for us down the track, he could play there easy," coach Tim Sheens said. "But he needs schooling and a lot of work and we'd like to see him get through this year without any problems and, as he overcomes that and gets through the end of the year and has a good off-season, I think the kid can do anything."

A Balmain junior, Lewis is returning to the Tigers on a one-year deal. Head, off contract at the end of the year, has a number of clubs chasing his signature, including the Warriors, but is keen to stay with the Tigers. However, with salary cap restrictions and Head's questionable fitness, his future remains in the air.

Spank

Juniors
Guess that means goodbye Mr Head

Hopefully that also means we aint gonna make insane moves like Benji @ 7 & Lawrence @ 6 !

I like Josh Lewis, classy player... good kicking game but has never really been given a decent chance, welcome home to Balmain !!

Spank

Juniors
Anyone is better in the 7 then Morris lol

But Kewis is a genuine #7, its nice to see the club actually buy a player that we do need depth in eithout trying to turn him into a second rower hahha

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Now thats a smart buy, He was probably cheaper than Head as well.

I'm a bit disappointed that Josh wasn't offered a longer contract, even two years would've been good enough.

It's hard to build a good team around players who will only be at the club for a year. It's not like Lewis' form or fitness is questionable. I'd think any halfback would struggle to get a start ahead of Prince, and the Titans have so many backs, and spent so much coin on Rogers that they'd be reluctant to leave him out of the starting side, not to mention Rogers thinking he's a quality playmaker.

Great signing. I think it might be a sign Sheens is considering moving Morris to move into five eighth and Benji being pushed back to fullback for 2009.

meltiger

First Grade
Well that's a positive signing. Hopefully it kills off the insane Marshall/Lawrence plan.

Now ... Are they capable of signing a prop or two? :p

aelek

Juniors
good signing tigers. Loved him at the roosters but like soward was never given a chance under Ricky ( sore loser) stuart.

Chook Norris

First Grade
i was a fan of the bloke in his time at the roosters, sad he never got a god chance

i recall the newtown PL grand final in 2006... newtown was down by a point with a minute or two remaining

he kicked the 40-20 and then the equaliser

too bad they went on to lose :x

hybrid_tiger

Coach
What are his weaknesses?

I've only seen him a couple of times but when I did he had a great kicking game and pretty good passing game too.

What is he like:

Running the football
Tackling
Organising

weststigerman

Juniors
From what I've seen he's an ordinary defender, about on par with Prince, but he has a go at least. His running game is alright, good without being great.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Well, at least they have signed a 1/2. It woudl be interesting see the rationale for the 1 year deals- first Head now Lewis. Is Sheens searching for something / someone in particular? I hope it is not waiting for Marshall to spark as a 1/2 as he never will. I trust we will not have the sase games played with Lewis as Sheens has done with Head this year- both on field and over renewing his contract.

Anyway, welcome on board Josh Lewis.

Syren

Juniors
Nice pick-up, but I do think he is a better at 5/8 than at halfback (just my opinion), so yet you still may see Benji moving to 7 afterall. If Lewis doesnt cut it, then Lawrence will be 6 as suggested by Sheens.

Mish

Juniors
He is definately a better 5/8th than halfback, 5/8th is his preferred position.

smeghead

Bench
What are his weaknesses?

I've only seen him a couple of times but when I did he had a great kicking game and pretty good passing game too.

What is he like:

Running the football
Tackling
Organising

Very good organiser
Running game is one of his uber strong points (killed us when we played the Titans at Carrara.
Defensively he is actually pretty sound for a half and playing Queensland Cup has hopefully improved that yet again

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Very good organiser
Running game is one of his uber strong points (killed us when we played the Titans at Carrara.
Defensively he is actually pretty sound for a half and playing Queensland Cup has hopefully improved that yet again
I agree – cant believe people are bagging this signing.

People angry head aint getting re-signed.

Lewis doesn’t have the best defense but remember he is replacing the worst defender in the NRL in Matty Head. He offers similar kicking game but with ability to pass at the line.

Head got a reoccurance of shoulder injuries – how did they reoccur? Surely didn’t happen on the field – he doesn’t take on the line of attack or defense.

Lewis has the potential to be next season Peter Wallace.

I think he will combine well with benji.

As for ‘attitude’ problem – the fact he is already friends with players at the club and that he is on a one year deal will sort of any of that.

Bench
I agree – cant believe people are bagging this signing.

People angry head aint getting re-signed.

Lewis doesn’t have the best defense but remember he is replacing the worst defender in the NRL in Matty Head. He offers similar kicking game but with ability to pass at the line.

Head got a reoccurance of shoulder injuries – how did they reoccur? Surely didn’t happen on the field – he doesn’t take on the line of attack or defense.

Lewis has the potential to be next season Peter Wallace.

I think he will combine well with benji.

As for ‘attitude’ problem – the fact he is already friends with players at the club and that he is on a one year deal will sort of any of that.
Good post,although I still think head has something to offer.

simon says

First Grade
Imo Head has been poor for quite a bit now.

We know at his best his is top shelf,but he is miles off that atm.

His kicking game has been awful.

Quite happy they signed Lewis.

Latest posts