What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tigers supporters stay loyal as Roosters fans lose faith

i was dissapointed with our crowds this year, most likely people prefer to stay home and watch the game instead, although i expected a better average this year since we are 2nd..not saying we should get better crowds because we are 2nd, im just wondering why in 2005 we got good crowds when we wernt playing good, and at this point when we are currently 2nd were not getting such good crowds..

RABK

Referee
Only two teams can brag about crowds every year.

The rest are all bandwagon clubs.

aids

Bench
IanRitchie said:
Good stuff Tigers. Win a Premiership and get another 300 through the turnstiles. :clap:

melbounre have a better crowd average, better performers and have a premiership title
move the warriors to adelaide where they might be able to bring over 10,000 a game

salivor

First Grade
Red and Blue Knight said:

The rest are all bandwagon clubs.

And those 2 would be what? Brisbane and Newcastle? I'd add the Cowboys to that as well as they have very solid averages year in year out regardless of how good or bad the team is going.

RABK

Referee
salivor said:
And those 2 would be what? Brisbane and Newcastle? I'd add the Cowboys to that as well as they have very solid averages year in year out regardless of how good or bad the team is going.

Rubbish, there was a marked increase 04 onwards.

Newie and Brissy for 18 years have produced the goods.

Newie has always had a much sh*tter, lower capacity stadium, more teams close by and a much smaller population so we're the crowd kings. :p

salivor

First Grade
Mal Meninga said:
Well done to the Broncs!

I wouldn't be getting too carried away and I know that the Broncos management are a little perplexed as to why there has been a drop in our crowd average and are hoping for that to be turned around with the Melbourne clash in a few weeks time.

Also think of it this way, a 1923 drop from 30328 to 28405 may not seem like much but over 9 home games so far it means we've had 17307 less people to our matches.

salivor

First Grade
Red and Blue Knight said:
Rubbish, there was a marked increase 04 onwards.

Newie and Brissy for 18 years have produced the goods.

Newie has always had a much sh*tter, lower capacity stadium, more teams close by and a much smaller population so we're the crowd kings. :p
Here are the figures from 1995-2003:
2003 – 14,892 – 11th of 15
2002 – 12,133 – 11th of 15
2001 – 13,575 – 13th of 14
2000 – 15,511 – Wooden Spoon
1999 – 16,108 – 16th of 17
1998 – 17,034 – 16th of 20
1997 – 17,539 – Wooden Spoon
1996 – 19,366 – 17th of 20
1995 – 21,215 – Wooden Spoon

16374 average over that time.

That I would guess would be above the NRL average over that time which is impressive when you consider as the results show that they were cellar dwellars for that whole time with their highest finish being 11th.

As for Newcastle being crowd kings, well you can have that honour if it helps you sleep at night but the Broncos will take the extra 7k this year and extra 12k last year and all the $$$ that goes with it all the way to the bank ;-).

Nook

Bench
The premiers should be getting 4000 more than the previous season - though i suppose the bandwagon was in operation more last year than this.

Mate, last year the Tigers broke every attendance record that existed for the cub - some more than once.

And this year we've improved our crowds.

What more do you want? Like all the Sydney teams the Tigers should be looking at trying to average 15,000-17,000 in the medium term allowing for form-related fluctuations.

Nook

Bench

I'd say one, actually - Brisbane.

There have been some ordinary Newcastle crowds this year - they should be averaging more than 21,000.

ucantseeme

Juniors
Just wait...

2007 - Gold Coast Titans join the NRL
2008 - Gold Coast & Melbourne both relocate to brand new puropse built rugby league stadiums
2009 - Souths relocate to Central Coast

So crowds are going to skyrocket in coming years.

Carlito

Juniors
I'm still amazed at the transformation that took place within a couple of months by tigers fans on here. Went from normal forumites to arrogant cawksmokers in an instant.

RABK

Referee
Nook said:
I'd say one, actually - Brisbane.

There have been some ordinary Newcastle crowds this year - they should be averaging more than 21,000.

Explain that one fool?

The Business said:
Of course the figures look good for the Tigers. They are the defending premiers after all. The Roosters crowd figures in 2003 were actually higher than the Tigers the year after they won the premiership.

Roosters 2003: home crowd aggregate: 193, 201 Home average: 16, 100

Wests Tigers 2006: home crowd aggregate: 175, 011 Home average: 19, 446

(When you add in the Jade stadium game the adjusted figures are aggregate: 18, 968 Home average: 189, 686)

For your assertion to be correct the Tigers would need to draw less than 2000 to each of the two remaining home games.

All the stats are at http://stats.rleague.com/rl/rl_index.html

The Bulldogs stats have been over-estimated. The proper home ground averages are 16.5k for 2005 and 18k for 2004.

That means that the Tigers home ground average for 2006 eclipses their own 2005 mark, which was the highest for a Sydney club since Parramatta in 1986.

Nook

Bench
There have been some ordinary Newcastle crowds this year - they should be averaging more than 21,000

Fool?

I'd have thought it was fairly self explanatory. Perhaps I should have prefaced it with 'in my opinion' but again I was assuming that this was fairly obvious. If you need me to draw a picture to help you out let me know and I'll get cracking on MS Paint.

No doubt Newcastle get good crowds, I just think there have a been a few games this year where they should have drawn a couple of thousand more. I was there for the Cronulla match and thought the crowd was fairly poor.

21,000 is good going but Newcastle, in my opinion, should be doing a little better. Same for North Queensland. The fact that these teams already draw well doesn't mean they are immune from criticism.

RABK

Referee
There has been no ordinary crowd in Newcastle.

Ordinary would be a 10,000 like figure.

Nook

Bench
There has been no ordinary crowd in Newcastle.

Ordinary would be a 10,000 like figure.

Nonsense. 10,000 in Newcastle would be a disaster.

Take the blinkers off for a second, if you can.

pcpp

Juniors
30,000 crowds in Brisbane aren't really that spectacular. Thats from a 1.7 million population base. Plus the Broncos have been involved in the finals (usually Top 4) almost every single year.

20,000 crowds in Townsville (100,000 population) and perhaps 20,000 crowds in Newcastle (500,000 population) are the pride of the league.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
TV Ted Ellery said:
The Bulldogs stats have been over-estimated. The proper home ground averages are 16.5k for 2005 and 18k for 2004.

Pulling stats out of your ass may appear cool, but unless you back up what you're saying, you're full of sh*t.