What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tim Paine quits as test captain

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Thoughts on Paine.

Did exceptionally well taking on the job after the sand paper affair holding together a team that was not only devastated by the cheating but who lost their best 2 batsmen as well.

He wasn't a great tactical captain at all and probably played on for too long. Not helped by having Langer as a coach.

Sad way to end his career (if it is the end) but good luck and health to him going forward.

Fangs

Coach
Not sure this will help. We probably get a better batsman down the order but they will be green.

Maybe other teams would be galvanised after losing their captain. Not sure about this squad and coach.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Justin Langer on Tim Paine, Steve Smith and the Perth Test on the eve of the Ashes

"So that's why I went down there. I'm glad I've seen him to give him a hug."

Elite hugging 🫂

King-Gutho94

Coach
This turnip is a whiny f**k. Go away.

Tim Paine's new book reveals allegations South Africa tampered with the ball during controversial series
Supersport or whatever the SA broadcaster is over there are arseholes.

I wouldn't trust them I actually believe Paine here.

I also agree the whole team should have taken responsibility the quicks were quick to go and hide away despite being the ones bowling the ball.

I have heard AB de Villiers say that they told the broadcasters after the 1st test to follow the ball like a hawk when Australia in the field looking for tampering.

I can imagine the same treatment wasn't being applied to the Saffers.

And Mike Haysman who is there lead host is a wanker of the highest order.

Bazal

Post Whore
Yeah I feel like Paine gets a rough go. He did a great job for a while, as with everything Cricket Australia do we hung onto him too long but I feel like if anyone like Patty Blue Eyes said some of this stuff everyone would be backing him.

Fangs

Coach
Should be happy with his career. Well respected by his team mates. Just has to avoid saucy receptionists.

Started pretty well from memory. I remember a good ODI century. Injuries got in the way. Made his way back and got gifted the captaincy.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I played footy a while ago (was a hard running backrower)

Our 5/8th was John Payne

This one particular game, we had regional selectors watching

One of our backs made a good break and was tackled about 25m out from the opposition line (near where the selectors were watching)

JP got to dummy half, and I was towering through for a hit up

I just yelled out (really loudly) "Payne...Payne...Payne.... PAYNE " (like give me the ball quickly ffs)

When I reflect on this play, many years since, I can only wonder that the selectors thought I was some sort of mental masochist. We won the game. Coach gave me 2 points in the 3-2-1 voting. No one from my side got selected for greater honors.

Enjoy your retirement Tim. Proud career