What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Timana Tahu out, Joel Monaghan in for State of Origin II

strider

Post Whore
Strides, the choice of players in the photo might have been "race-driven" - but that's a long way from being "racist" or "offensive" imo (which I think is what Stagger asked my opinion on?).

the point is that if it had of been the other way around it would most definitely have been considered racist ...... we're operating with 2 different sets of rules at the moment - maybe there's stuff to be made up for, so maybe thats just how its gotta be for a while - BUT racism will never be gone from society unless we can operate without 2 sets of rules, while a group is being made different it will only continue to make a divide

lingard

Coach
the point is that if it had of been the other way around it would most definitely have been considered racist ...... we're operating with 2 different sets of rules at the moment - maybe there's stuff to be made up for, so maybe thats just how its gotta be for a while - BUT racism will never be gone from society unless we can operate without 2 sets of rules, while a group is being made different it will only continue to make a divide

That, my friend, would be the understatement of the century! Maybe there`s stuff to be made up for? My God! That is the WHOLE POINT of this issue. There isn`t any other point. It is not a level playing field. Derogatory remarks directed toward aboriginal people in Australia SHOULD be and HAVE to be considered in a totally different context to remarks directed at white Australians by aboriginals. Are we man enough to recognise that and handle that?

bartman

Immortal
I'm happy with it being that way for a long long while, tbh. But then I don't get offended in the slightest by things going the other way, given our country's history in race matters. I don't focus on two sets of rules, I just see it as a balancing out of the one set.

The Origin photo thing is like me leaving a place I've worked and getting a photo with the three work mates I liked best, and not with the whole office. There's a reason I'd like those three best - we've shared things or we have common beliefs and bonds... Maybe we're the same race or maybe we are a mixture, but if we were all the same race (anglo or indigenous or other) it's more an understandable coincidence rather than racism or race-driven in my book. If someone else wanted to be in the photo, I'd tell them no, this one is special. It'd only become about race if someone goes looking or really wants/needs to find some (reverse) racism.

That's why I will never be offended by a bunch of blokes with something in common (culture, shared experiences, or being mates) having their photo taken, even if it happens year after year. And I'll proudly support guys like Tahu taking his stand against real racism when it happens in their workplaces, whether that be in NSW or Parra.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
I would like to see the day when it's one set of rules for everybody regardless of race. It would be good for everyone to be treated equally. Hopefully it will happen sooner rather than later.

Haynzy

First Grade
I tend to agree in principle but it will never happen because what's offensive to one culture is not offensive to another, regardless of intention. .

Remember the furore a few years ago with the cricket. One of the Aussies called Harbijan Singh (i think) a bastard and all hell broke loose because that is a much more offensive term in his culture than ours.

Because of White Australias history toward our indigenous people, speaking like Johns and others will never be no big deal whereas the reverse means little.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
This is Mrs Casper's comment........

Surely the attention here is on the wrong word. Calling someone "black" is not offensive, it is descriptive. If you went up to Timana or Greg or Israel and said, "Are you black?", I'm sure they would say, "Yes" without a problem. It is the "C" word that is the offensive one, probably the most offensive, disgusting, aggressive word in the English language, not to mention being highly misogynistic. And one that I'm sure slips from the tongues of many footballers when they are all being male and macho together.

I bet if Johns had said, "We've got to get that c..t, Inglis...", nothing would have been said!!!!!

Should all women now boycott the footy?

How many white players are referred to as "c..ts" by their team mates and opposition?

To be called black is not an insult - to be called a c..t is.

Last edited: