What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Timana Tahu out, Joel Monaghan in for State of Origin II

bartman

Immortal
And having read another article (posted in other Johns thread) where Robbie O'Davis says he's witnessed Johns making racist comments since he was 18, I can now perfectly understand Stags why the Qld Indigenous origin players would want to have that photo taken, given what they have had to encounter in making it to the top in our game... It doesn't offend me in the slightest - good on 'em!

mrpwnd

Bench
That article is simply media and tabloid speculation.
Until i hear Tahu come out and directly point the finger at various people and say directly that Joey has been racist for ages then i'll believe it

Snoochies

First Grade
Tahus reply to the story 3 above ^^^^^^

Latest Tahu racism row twist

TIMANA Tahu has rubbished claims from Aboriginal elder Sol Bellear that Andrew Johns' racist tirade included slurs such as "c. .n, aborigine and n ... .r ... "

The racism furore took another bizarre twist last night when the NRL Indigenous Council board member said that he had spoken to senior members of Tahu's family, who had supposedly revealed to him that Johns' drunken comments during a Blues bonding session were far worse than first thought.
"It was all the usual things: "You black c ... , aborigine, c. .n, n....r, monkey - they were all used," Bellear told AAP.
"It wasn't just directed at [Israel] Folau and GI [Greg Inglis] it was at [Sam] Thaiday and JT [Johnathan Thurston]."
That claim was instantly quashed by Tahu when Eels chief executive Paul Osborne contacted him last night.
"Timana told me that he has never spoken to the bloke, never had a conversation with him although he knew who he is," Osborne told The Daily Telegraph. "He said he doesn't know what he's talking about."
http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/#sidebar-start

Johns' manager John Fordham also dismissed Bellear's allegations, saying: "These claims are totally refuted and rejected."
The drama came as Blues captain Kurt Gidley slammed claims from the Maroons that NSW rugby league is riddled with racism - and revealed that Tahu had given no inkling of his issues with Andrew Johns on the morning Tahu's shock departure.
Finally speaking in the aftermath of the biggest controversy to rock a NSW team, the skipper emerged to also insist that close friend Andrew Johns was "not a racist".
He said suggestions from Queensland coach Mal Meninga and others that NSW players were picked on the "colours of skin" was highly offensive.
"I strongly disagree with that," Gidley said. "I've played with all different guys from different countries and races. They play a huge part in league. I think that's an outrageous claim.
"I am offended for sure. It's a huge claim and it's completely wrong. To say that and label that against NSW is ridiculous."
Gidley revealed he had met with Tahu on Friday morning and that the Eels superstar had given no indication that he had been aggrieved by Johns' remarks.
"I was with Tahu the morning he left and I didn't get any sign that he was upset until [coach] Craig [Bellamy] told me and I went and seen him in his room," he said.
"I tried to talk him around. I'm one who can sit down with Timana and have a chat with him about most stuff. I tried to on the day but he'd already made up his mind and made his decision by then."
Johns again refused to speak about the growing firestorm concerning his future.
Asked if Johns was a racist, Gidley said emphatically: "He's not. He is not a racist. It is a tough one for me because he's a good mate and I see the good things he does.
"I don't know if anyone saw it, but a [indigenous] kid got hit the face with a footy at training and Joey was the first one to go up and give his boots to him. No one else saw that. He didn't want anyone else to see that either."
sNSWRL boss Geoff Carr has already slammed the door on Johns possibly returning for game three, Gidley says he wanted him back.
"For sure, myself personally would love him back," he said. 'I love having him around as a person and a coach, because he has so much to offer."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/latest-tahu-racism-row-twist/story-e6frexni-1225880142412

bartman

Immortal
That's a shame Bellear was making claims he wasn't entitled to then.

But even if his facts were wrong, I think he still makes some good points about the approach needed to stamp it all out.

Bit disappointed in Gidley for complaining that Tahu didn't show him any signs he was upset, and that Gidley wants Johns back for Game 3 when he's already stood down. That's enough to take the captaincy off him imo, fostering and prolonging the disruption in the camp...

Gronk

Staff member
That's a shame Bellear was making claims he wasn't entitled to then.

But even if his facts were wrong, I think he still makes some good points about the approach needed to stamp it all out.

Bit disappointed in Gidley for complaining that Tahu didn't show him any signs he was upset, and that Gidley wants Johns back for Game 3 when he's already stood down. That's enough to take the captaincy off him imo, fostering and prolonging the disruption in the camp...

Agree. Gidley clearly does not comprehend the gravity of the situation.

Gronk

Staff member
Joey coaching LaPa last night ? What a pathetic attempt of tokenism. :roll:

strider

Post Whore
hmmmmm .... turning into a massive f'n circus now :? ...... why would that Sol guy come out like that and say stuff that's not true - surely he knows it would be denied - he's pretty much done more harm than good - tbh he's looking as stupid as Johns right now

and Bart - you have deadset got your blinkers on mate .... to deny that the photo taken after game 3 last year was race driven is just plain silly - of course it was race driven .... how can you even suggest its just "photos with friends" ..... had it been the other way round with every non-aboriginal/polynesian separated off to be in a photo, it would have been a massive issue - and if anyone had claimed innocence, that such a group were special friends, it would have been even worse .... at the end of the day no one chose to make a thing of it - no one took offense because we are at a point where race things in the other direction are accepted because people acknowledge the crap that has gone on over the years and think its alright to "make up for it" a bit

Maroubra Eel

Coach
hmmmmm .... turning into a massive f'n circus now :? ...... why would that Sol guy come out like that and say stuff that's not true - surely he knows it would be denied - he's pretty much done more harm than good - tbh he's looking as stupid as Johns right now

and Bart - you have deadset got your blinkers on mate .... to deny that the photo taken after game 3 last year was race driven is just plain silly - of course it was race driven .... how can you even suggest its just "photos with friends" ..... had it been the other way round with every non-aboriginal/polynesian separated off to be in a photo, it would have been a massive issue - and if anyone had claimed innocence, that such a group were special friends, it would have been even worse .... at the end of the day no one chose to make a thing of it - no one took offense because we are at a point where race things in the other direction are accepted because people acknowledge the crap that has gone on over the years and think its alright to "make up for it" a bit

X2

Tank30

Juniors
It was racist.

The real world isnt in a dictionary.

He didnt just call Inglis a merkin.

He degraded him more by referring to his skin colour. He's not just a merkin, but a black merkin.

It's all about intent and context.

I agree 100% and that is the basis of my argument, Johns has stated that his intent was not racist in any way. As I said, what he said was incredibly stupid but he does not deserve the sh*t storm that has followed.

Tank30

Juniors
Joey coaching LaPa last night ? What a pathetic attempt of tokenism. :roll:

I agree, the fact that their coach rang him and it was originally discussed in April smacks of him being aware that he was going to do something like this and taking pre-emptive measures.:crazy:

Gronk

Staff member

Can't agree.A photo taken featuring Polys & Indigenous players cannot be considered racism. Is there any evidence that an Anglo was prevented from participating in the picture ? I would think not.

They have chosen to get a pic together like a close bunch of friends would. How can that be discriminative towards anglos ? Next you'll be suggesting that those who choose to live in Cabramatta are racist because they are predominantly Vietnamese and choose to live amongst those who they share a common culture.

Tank30

Juniors
I was extremely offended by that incident also, they pushed anglo saxon players out, and invited Karmichael Hunt in (who is Maori) so if that's not discriminating black vs white, I don't know what is.

I was surprised that it didn't generate any media interest....

QLD%20Group%209071568_763915_p.jpg

QLD%20Group%209071502_692147_p.jpg
I think the above post states that they did indeed push out Anglo players.

strider

Post Whore
Can't agree.A photo taken featuring Polys & Indigenous players cannot be considered racism. Is there any evidence that an Anglo was prevented from participating in the picture ? I would think not.

They have chosen to get a pic together like a close bunch of friends would. How can that be discriminative towards anglos ? Next you'll be suggesting that those who choose to live in Cabramatta are racist because they are predominantly Vietnamese and choose to live amongst those who they share a common culture.

actually - yeah ... Lockyer went and walked to stand in it and was pushed aside - it was all done with smiles and laughs, which is cool, I understand it was all just having fun - but it WAS most definitely an intentional photo for just the non-white guys in the team ...... I didn't say I consider it "racist", I said it was race driven - but had it been the other way around i'm sure it would have been considered racist

bartman

Immortal

Strides, the choice of players in the photo might have been "race-driven" - but that's a long way from being "racist" or "offensive" imo (which I think is what Stagger asked my opinion on?).

I definitely agree it's fine to make up for it a bit, seeing as what's gone the other way for years and years. Just thinking about what the guys in the photo would have put up with in life to get to the point where they could have a post-Origin photo together... I reckon it's great!

Just like the Indigenous All Stars - sure, race driven, but why not turn the survival of stuff like what Joey's done into a celebration?

bildo

Juniors
actually - yeah ... Lockyer went and walked to stand in it and was pushed aside - it was all done with smiles and laughs, which is cool, I understand it was all just having fun - but it WAS most definitely an intentional photo for just the non-white guys in the team ...... I didn't say I consider it "racist", I said it was race driven - but had it been the other way around i'm sure it would have been considered racist

Bloody oath it would, and would have been on the front page of every paper in the country the next day. It would probably make the news all around the world, and we would probably get a 'please explain ' from the United Nations.
It is obvious, even from some of the posts here ,that the PC brigade have made Aboriginals a protected species and no objectivity will be allowed when discussing them.

Gronk

Staff member
A nice angle from the News Ltd education writer

Tahu teaches our children a lesson for life

Maralyn Parker
Wednesday, June 16, 2010 at 05:24pm

A boofhead assistant Rugby League coach has given teachers around Australia the best lead into a lesson on racism they have had for years.

When I rang around yesterday every school I spoke to was planning class activities on racism based on Timana Tahu quitting the State of Origin team after one too many abusive racist comments from Andrew Johns.

There is nothing teachers love more than having a real in-the-news example such as this to use in a lesson.

Children are taught the slogan no way walk away as one method of responding to bullying and aggressive behaviour including racial abuse. Tahu has shown just how effective and dignified such a response can be.

Of course in schools children are taught to go tell a teacher immediately if something like that happens to them.

Teachers know that the response has to be swift and effective, with the abuser left with no doubt that their actions will not be tolerated.

Australian teachers and students will expect the NRL to make sure Johns and everyone else involved in the game gets the message loud and clear.

The other part of the lesson schools give is that racial abuse is never okay - not as part of locker room humour, not as a way to toughen someone up and certainly not as part of a footy bonding session.

Probably the best part, that teachers will use with older students in particular, is that Tahu said he made a stand for his children. Why is that important? Discuss.

This whole scenario is such a text book example of racism and the classic best response to it, it will be taught in schools for years.

You might be surprised to know every NSW public school has an anti-racism contact officer (ARCO), usually one of the teachers, who has been selected as the person for students, staff and parents to contact if they have any complaints about racism at the school. In large schools there might be more than one ARCO.

Also it is mandatory for every NSW public school to include anti-racism education in their school plans.

Personally I blame parents directly whenever I come across a child who is racially abusing or vilifying another child. The language of racism is learned and it is overwhelmingly grown-up language.

Children, especially those in primary school, will notice many things about their friends before they notice the colour of their skin. And when they fight with each other it is usually over what has been said or done not about how someone looks.

Parental dislikes and prejudices are almost always behind insults from children about the way someone looks.

This lesson on racism could not come at a better time in the lead up to NAIDOC week beginning 4 th July, when Australia celebrates the history, culture and achievements of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.

The theme this year is Unsung Heroes-Closing the Gap by Leading the Way.

I would say we have just been given the 2010 hero of the year.
http://blogs.news.com.au/dailyteleg.../tahu_teaches_our_children_a_lesson_for_life/

Latest posts