What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time for a new fullback

Inferno

Coach
I'm ready to declare the Gardner experiment over.

He started with a hell of a lot of promise, but he's no longer an effective fullback.

He's suspect under the high ball, runs sideways far too often, and his support play is average at best. Due to his small size he also gets monstered on a regular basis.

I like him as a player, and I think he'd make a decent winger or benchie, but I think his days as the custodian are numbered.

I like Wright but he's not much better and is as slow as a wet week.

Time to start searching I think, who else is out there?

Quigs

Immortal
I'd rather get 'us' a big dangerous hard running try scoring Center first Inf. That would be my priority.

Gards was the best of the bunch we had to sort out last year. A few injuries here and there and he got the nod.

Those bloody outside backs are the priority. When you compare our apples with the opps apples, we got prickly pears.

Frenzy.

Immortal
No Quigs, he's farged and I've been tellin ya's all for 12 months.

He's like the fast man going nowhere. 1 step forward and 3 steps back.

Wright was twice as good as him this afternoon. WRIGHT!

Avenger

Immortal
I'm ready to declare the Gardner experiment over.

He started with a hell of a lot of promise, but he's no longer an effective fullback.

He's suspect under the high ball, runs sideways far too often, and his support play is average at best. Due to his small size he also gets monstered on a regular basis.

I like him as a player, and I think he'd make a decent winger or benchie, but I think his days as the custodian are numbered.

I like Wright but he's not much better and is as slow as a wet week.

Time to start searching I think, who else is out there?

Luke Burt.

wibble

Bench
Burt and Inu are both rotting in reserves and better than anything we have.

I agree Gardner has a lot of rubbish in his game, and his kick defusing is just atrocious. I actually think his defense has gone backwards, and I'm not sure why he isn't improving. Surely he fields 1000 bombs per week in training?

But his support play is quite good I think, and he looks dangerous a lot. I'd like a better player at fullback, but it is nowhere near as urgent as getting our wing and centre positions shored up. Those positions are also weak defensively (and we don't have wingers who can catch any better than Gardner- they are all terrible at reading kicks) but in addition are not good in attack, with a few glimpses maybe every now and then.

webShark

I'd rather get 'us' a big dangerous hard running try scoring Center first Inf. That would be my priority.

Gards was the best of the bunch we had to sort out last year. A few injuries here and there and he got the nod.

Those bloody outside backs are the priority. When you compare our apples with the opps apples, we got prickly pears.
Agree.gards is the best of a bad bunch of prickly pears. At least the opposition fear him unlike the rest of our outside backs.
Not seen Wright play well for any team. Missed the under 6,s. I don't see Gards as a winger so we must persist with him and look for a decent centre. No one has commented on what hotdog was doing letting the disallowed try be scored. He is crap too. Why did we sign him? Can it be that hard to find outside backs, we have had years. Until we do we have years of nail biters to look forward to. I doubt Fisihali will get a regular start at NZ. Someone with pace and basic defence, David Mead?

Ken Ebb

Juniors
Negative pricks!

If Gardner wasn't there - Penrith by 10

He is young and can be persevered with. I don't see anyone even close to challenginging his position at 1 so let's stop the negativity!

jc155776

Coach
Minichello will be free... might be able to get him cheap as well, only played Origin last year as well.

Quigs

Immortal
Gards goes alright, but he overplays....

A good captain would keep him under control a bit more.

Inferno

Coach
Burt and Inu are both rotting in reserves and better than anything we have.

I agree Gardner has a lot of rubbish in his game, and his kick defusing is just atrocious. I actually think his defense has gone backwards, and I'm not sure why he isn't improving. Surely he fields 1000 bombs per week in training?

But his support play is quite good I think, and he looks dangerous a lot. I'd like a better player at fullback, but it is nowhere near as urgent as getting our wing and centre positions shored up. Those positions are also weak defensively (and we don't have wingers who can catch any better than Gardner- they are all terrible at reading kicks) but in addition are not good in attack, with a few glimpses maybe every now and then.

I'd take Burt over Gardner for sure. As far as being feared, I think most teams lick their chops when they seem him named. He has delayed second year syndrome, and I think most teams have him figured out. He's not breaking the line at all, and there is no unpredictability in his game. He doesn't seem to be chiming in as an additional playmaker either which a fullback needs to do in the modern game.

We've been crying out for a strike centre for forever an a day, but personally I'd rather get fullback sorted first. Best and the Pom are both defensively solid, and the Pom has been playing well this year.

Put it this way, are you more worried when the ball is spun wide, or when a bomb goes up?

Negative pricks!

If Gardner wasn't there - Penrith by 10

He is young and can be persevered with. I don't see anyone even close to challenginging his position at 1 so let's stop the negativity!

There's plenty of the fwits on this forum!
Win 3 in a row and they still want to change the dreaded "backline"
f**k orf and barrack for the Storm or Broncos:lol:

Inferno

Coach
So because we've won 3 in a row nothing needs changing or improving? The Coach and star playmaker both called it an ugly win and said there is plenty of room for improvement.

Gardner is average and it's time we started looking forward.