What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time for a new fullback

Weaponhead

Coach
Gards still has a lot of potential. The next Billy Slater tag from some in the media is way off. To reach his potential he has a fair bit to work on.

Defence - positional play and bomb taking need work to get him to the next level. I just don't think he has anticipates what the opposition halves are doing well enough.

Attack - he has good pace and evasion but limits their effectives by dancing around before the line instead of exploding through it. He would by much more effective picking a hole betwween players and taking off.

spider

Coach
The yards our pack make week in week out would make any FB salivate.

Imagine smith and slater having that platform to work off.

We have a big opportunity to branch off the good work our forwards do, but we are slowly falling back to 5 hit ups. Gal plays as a front rower. His big stats (when at lock) reduce our attack - which was evident yesterday.

He needs to play front row - drop fifita the sloth.

Since 73

First Grade
Where would Slater be if he came thru the Sharks when were setting losing records in the double figures and playing of such noted playmakers as Scott Porter and Tim Smith.

Probably running around in circles.

It's coaching and more imprtantly development.

it breaks my black, white & blue heart to see talent like Gards stagnate and go backwards.

The worst coach in the history of the game for developing new talent is Sticky. Jamie Soward exhibit A.

Phlannoe learnt eveything he knows from Sticky but tragically is still inferior.

Basically we have blokes like Townsend, Gards, Wright and Mills having to make it up as they go along.

I don't reckon Darius boyd has any more natural skill than gards and he's played for Australia.

Quigs

Immortal
Gards goes alright, but he overplays....

A good captain would keep him under control a bit more.

Thems fightin' words!.

Explain.

Explain I shall.

Firstly I have nothing but manlove admiration for the inspirational Gal. He is the man. He is a "go to" type of bloke to lead you through a battle.

But in my mind he is a long way from being "The General".

We need a fair dinkum Director out there. A bloke that will take control of the running of the game. A bloke that will totally dominate the direction and order of attack.

A bloke that will tell the likes of Gards to farkkk off he is getting in the way sometimes. Someone out there that will tell a blockheaded forward to hit it up, then you hit it up then you, then its mine.... and you Gards and you ??? then can come sniffing (back up)

If you watch a replay of yesterdays game you will see what I mean. We played ugly and should of lost. I don't blame Gals effort, but I tend to think he doesnt have enough mongrel in him to his own mob.

Did you see Hornby ripping into Scott on Friday night. Watch him directing the action for the Stinking Stains. Who does that role with our mob.

"We ain't goin' nowhere" until someone on the paddock starts to do that role. One hit up from dummy half, after one hit up from dummy half is not the way to keep on winning league games.

We need an onfield director that will call "Action" when the time needs, Gal can run the pigs and still have a Big C beside his name.

My opinion for what its worth.

ComotoCoolum

Juniors
My God man... Did you see him play today?

Not ready by a long way.

I agree, he still looked a bit dazed but i'm glad he played..... albeit as a passenger. Didn't do nothing but he will be back in form next week, i think they will all have a bit of a spring in their step next week. We seemed a bit confused when De Gois went off and the chocs took full advantage. Once again another dodgy decision with Jennings's call. Overall though good performance, Flanno will be stoked.......we just gotta keep grinding them out like this and we'll be sweet as.

C'ARN YOU SHARKIES

Windy70

Juniors
I don't like the grind, scares hell out of me. A win is a win but we should be putting the foot down and finishing teams off. Based on the first 40 and the last 10 we should of won that by 8 - 10 points I reckon.

The on field general's job was handed to Robson wasn't it?

Or do we have too many chiefs and not enough Indians?.

Frenzy.

Immortal
I agree, he still looked a bit dazed but i'm glad he played..... albeit as a passenger. Didn't do nothing but he will be back in form next week, i think they will all have a bit of a spring in their step next week. We seemed a bit confused when De Gois went off and the chocs took full advantage. Once again another dodgy decision with Jennings's call. Overall though good performance, Flanno will be stoked.......we just gotta keep grinding them out like this and we'll be sweet as.

C'ARN YOU SHARKIES

I believe coolum was talking about Pickerd. He was gosh darned abominable in the NYC yesterday.

Snoop Shark

First Grade
Frenz u have me convinced yet again Gardner has to go(maybe wing)

I dont agree that Matt Wright would be the answer however I do think little callum has done his apprenticeship with us in a nice way and deserves to be given a sniff in showing us how he goes at the top level. I seriously cringe when the ball goes near gards from the opposing team

I'd go after Michael Gordon

Wants to play fullback but playing second fiddle to Lachlan Coote..

Not sure on contract situation or how bad his injury is .. We were linked to him a while back and he killed it at the back for penrith when Coote was injured..

spider

Coach
I'd go after Michael Gordon

Wants to play fullback but playing second fiddle to Lachlan Coote..

Not sure on contract situation or how bad his injury is .. We were linked to him a while back and he killed it at the back for penrith when Coote was injured..

I agree on pursuing Gordon. Wasn't there issues between Purcell and the club last time around?

I agree on pursuing Gordon. Wasn't there issues between Purcell and the club last time around?

Not really sure..

He would be awesome at the back for us.. Blinding pace and is a brilliant hole runner

Can just picture him now running off TC, Jez and Bukuya

At this point in time I genuinely think Ike Gordon is a better option.

Definitely deserves another shot this season after past performances.. I find it hard to go past giving Stapleton another shot at the back when he is fit.. I think he is the best we've got under the high ball at the club and I thought he was very solid for us in that position before gardener came along..

Failing that I'm a big fan of m Gordon..

GoatShark

Juniors
According to Weed-ler Hayne is on the outer at Parra. Idiots.

I'll take him in the black white and blue. Buy him for Toops and Kelly's Moolah.

Weaponhead

Coach
Michael Gordon is a very good player but he is coming off a couple some bad injuries and turns 29 this year. The reports are that he is also looking for a signifcant pay increase knowing that this is likely to be his last NRL contract. We'd need to move carefully here.

Special K

Coach
Gordon turned us down last time and is coming off back to back knee injuries.

At the warriors they will have to cut Locke. The flying fish is just to good to keep in reggies or on the wing. I'm sure Locke will be available this year.

In saying that I'm not sold on the idea that Gards has peaked. The knock on him was always the highball and that drop last night was the result of having to much time to think. I still think he can be of value for us backing up Carney and co. He is sniffing around the ruck more this season then I remember from past years. I think he can still develop into a handy first grader.

webShark

According to Weed-ler Hayne is on the outer at Parra. Idiots.

I'll take him in the black white and blue. Buy him for Toops and Kelly's Moolah.

Now we're talking. Jarrod Hayne. We can also release Ike Gordon and use his Moolah. Those who talk up Stapleton and Ike Gordon stupify me. Neither even in the same post code as Gards let alone the Hayne train.

Can't see Eels letting him go. Warriors cannot find room for Locke,Fisihali and Schmankel (whatever he,s called), so there must be an opportunity there.

Staph and Gordon are above average NSW Cup players IMO.