What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to get Radical with bans

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ok hear me out here. Prof sport is first and foremost an entertainment business. Fans pay a lot of money to watch star players and clubs compete against one another, preferably in hard fought close contests. So instead of banning players from games, thus lowering the entertainment value of the sport, bans should no longer occur for anything but the most heinous of malicious acts.

Replace the majority of bans with a sliding scale of significant fines. Hit the players where it really hurts and they might get the message.

All fines to go into a grassroots development pool.

So my radical solution:

1. No more bans for players unless the act was a deliberate malicious and dangerous foul play
2. Significant increase in fines for misdemeanors with fines increasing for repeat offenders
3. Sin binned players allowed to be substituted so always 13 v 13 (offending team loses an interchange)

Give the fans what they want, the best players playing in the best games.

_Johnsy

Referee
You're wrong. Firstly it's a professional sport. Your solution gives you what you want. Not all fans want this.

Hit the players where it really hurts? I'd suggest missing the GF for a player would hurt more than a monetary fine.

If you don't want to be suspended for the GF, lower your point of contact a few cm's.

Bazal

Post Whore
Who else is not watching the GF this weekend cause some serial thug got rubbed out?

Well I'm slightly sad but not for the reason West Coast Red might think....tbh I'd just love the big dumb thug to do that to Diet Nathan Brown, spark the biggest all in since the 80s and turn the game into absolute madness.

kurt faulk

Coach
half baked boo GIF

Rabbit toes

First Grade
Why stop there?
Take their homes, car and freeze their bank accounts as well.
That’ll teach em to lead with the shoulder

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Ok hear me out here. Prof sport is first and foremost an entertainment business. Fans pay a lot of money to watch star players and clubs compete against one another, preferably in hard fought close contests. So instead of banning players from games, thus lowering the entertainment value of the sport, bans should no longer occur for anything but the most heinous of malicious acts.

Replace the majority of bans with a sliding scale of significant fines. Hit the players where it really hurts and they might get the message.

So my radical solution:

1. No more bans for players unless the act was a deliberate malicious and dangerous foul play
2. Significant increase in fines for misdemeanors with fines increasing for repeat offenders
3. Sin binned players allowed to be substituted so always 13 v 13 (offending team loses an interchange)

Shit opinion from a shit bloke

JamesRustle

First Grade
Much cheaper to spin a chocolate wheel to determine length of suspension... same level of consistency and probably correct more often than current setup.

Matt_CBY

Juniors

So my radical solution:

1. You’ll never be able to prove intent so you won’t be able to prove if an action is deliberate or not.

3. Removing the penalty of a side playing with one less player removes a deterrent to certain actions. Especially for a sin bin when the player ‘punished’ is allowed to return to the match. I don’t like the idea for send offs either but at least that has some logic to it. Given that most people pushing for it want the player only to be replaced after a period of time. I’ve seen 10 minutes put forward and 20 minutes put forward.