What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Matt_CBY

Juniors
Now, this has never been a problem before because no QRL brands have been admitted to the NRL until the Dolphins. Now that they have been admitted though, there is zero reason to not acknowledge their first grade premierships OR have everyone start again from 1995 onwards.

The NRL Dolphins played their first season in 2023, not to be confused with the Redcliffe Dolphins that have a much longer history and share the same owners.

Iamback

Coach
First point, is yes of course the records came across from the NSWRL. I'm not denying the current system, I'm arguing for it to change.

The newly formed ARL (in 1995), which was formed to supersede both first grade comps (NSWRL and QRL) so we only had one first grade comp in Australia, should be acknowledging the history of both comps. It is a national body (and people forget this part) that is separate from the NSWRL, if it was just a name change, the NSWRL would have ceased to exist.

Now, this has never been a problem before because no QRL brands have been admitted to the NRL until the Dolphins. Now that they have been admitted though, there is zero reason to not acknowledge their first grade premierships OR have everyone start again from 1995 onwards.

I know I'm not going to convince any NSWmen on here of this because your clubs' records are acknowledged by the national body, but those outside of NSW will get what I'm saying.

Let's remember that many Kangaroos were picked straight out of the BRL to play for their country before the 90's and the NRL was more than happy to lean on the Dolphins' history to drum up interest in their Queensland expansion efforts. So they should be consistent and impartial and acknowledge it completely, not just when it suits.

I suggest you watch the Documentary on the Dolphins being created on Stan. You might learn something.

The club themselves wanted to be new club to reach new fans, How they market themselves is another story.

jim_57

Staff member

Try again buddy. Nothing funnier than a bloke chimming in and coming in wrong.

View attachment 94875

To be fair you originally said 36k & 21k, both of which are about 5k over what Lions and Suns averaged at their main stadiums.

Vlad’s averages are total averages which includes Magic at Suncorp for Titans and Lions & Suns home games that were played elsewhere.

Vlad59

Bench
To be fair you originally said 36k & 21k, both of which are about 5k over what Lions and Suns averaged at their main stadiums.

Vlad’s averages are total averages which includes Magic at Suncorp for Titans and Lions & Suns home games that were played elsewhere.
Yeah I should have quoted the Gabba not the Lions average. My mistake. In my defence his figures were a lot worse hahahaha

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
I

Vlad’s averages are total averages which includes Magic at Suncorp for Titans and Lions & Suns home games that were played elsewhere.i accidentally pulled from https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ta-brisbane-lions
I accidentally pulled from https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ta-brisbane-lions

IMG_5245.png

I Concede that I didn’t read the games section which is 27 and should’ve been a hint that it was total not just Gabba related numbers. 5k short, yes.

In short we are both wrong with crowd numbers.