What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to get rid of the 8???

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
How can you say that the top 5 would make any difference when last week teams 3-8 were all on the same amount of points?? That's bizarre reasoning. The teams trying to make the 8 are inept, talentless etc, but the teams 2 points ahead of them aren't?

Eelectrica

Referee
Since 2000 only once has team 2 beaten team 7 in the Qualifying final. That was in 2003 when the Roosters crushed Newcastle.

The minor premiers have used their 1 V 8 match as little more than a training run though.

I think he was being sarcastic. ;-)

I agree that a top 8 in a 15 team comp is a joke, what sort of competition have over half the participants make it to the finals? There may be more games for the fans to enjoy and more money for the NRL but it shows a lack of credibility in the comp.

If the game grows to 18 teams then I can agree with a top 8 but at the moment, the NRL can't seem to source revenue any other way so that's what we're stuck with.

Top 8 is perfect for 16 teams. AFL does it and it works well. I think the NRL should adopt a similar format to the AFL (1v4, 2v3, loser gets a second chance, 5v8, 6v7, losers eliminated).

Making it to a top 5 would essentially eliminate 3 sides who are equal on points with 5th, or are only 1 or 2 points behind, which with the way that Origin is scheduled, provides a disadvantage to those sides which are heavily represented. If you suffer a few injuries due to origin and lose a few, you can count your season over. 1v8 week one is ok, but I'd prefer the AFL finals format. Makes the games that much more interesting and provides build up, rather than 8th place having to face Mt Everest in week 1 of the finals.

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
alot of ppl would stop going to games (makes club loose money) if the season was over for them. eg if it was top 5 warriors n roosters would also b outta contention probably and they wouldnt get the crwods then

aussies1st

Staff member
JoeysChiropractor said:
Top 8 is perfect for 16 teams. AFL does it and it works well. I think the NRL should adopt a similar format to the AFL (1v4, 2v3, loser gets a second chance, 5v8, 6v7, losers eliminated).

That sounds better than this hope and wait thing we currently have. And of course the Everest you talk about which the raiders faced last year

Raider Ultra

Bench
The current finals system is flawed, we should adopt the AFL system. At the moment the 8 is basically useless, as 7 and 8 have little to no chance to winning in the first week.

Big Pete

Referee
Why should the 8th team be given any hope? It's their fault they're there in the first place.

Iafeta

Referee
Big_Bad_Shark_Fan said:
alot of ppl would stop going to games (makes club loose money) if the season was over for them. eg if it was top 5 warriors n roosters would also b outta contention probably and they wouldnt get the crwods then

BBSF, for once, you've nailed it.

Well said mate.

Azkatro

First Grade
I wouldn't be too disappointed to see the finals scrapped altogether to be replaced by say 4 extra rounds, making the winner of the minor premiership the premiers (the way it originally was).

aussies1st

Staff member
What would it matter to the number 1 side. Would they rather have an easier opponent? If they are truely number 1 they will have no problem beating the 4th best side

Sun_Down

Juniors
They get more cash if there is an eight, so who cares, plus its always fun to watch the lower teams fight it out over the last final places...

stop complaining imo.

For example, if this week was the last round and the 8 stood this way (which it wont, but just using this for an example)

The games under the AFL finals format would be:

1v4: Broncos v Cowboys
2v3: Eels v Dragons

5v8: Tigers v Sharks
6v7: Storm v Manly

With the losers from the top games playing the winners from the bottom games. It would make for much better viewing and attendance to have battles which are much more even, as well as sudden death footy for the bottom games. There is that uncertainty with the current system which is rubbish. If this 8 were to be the top 8, under the current system the games would be:
Broncos v Sharks
Eels v Manly
Dragons v Storm
Cowboys v Tigers

Those games would not be anywhere near as close as the AFL system. It also has the top sides clashing early in the finals series to give you a taste of what is to come. It also means that if for example, the Broncos and Cowboys clash in week 1, the two sides can still meet in the grand final.

Top 8 would work perfectly under that system.

Ron Burgundy

Juniors
I remember last year when ever idiot was saying that the 7th and 8th team was there to make up the numbers but as it turns out the Cowboys were one win away from the GF. It sweep the rugby league nation but storm.

To suggest that the final 8 system should be decreased to 5 or 6 teams is stupid you would be making the fairy tale of last year imposible.

Think about it.

shaggy

Juniors
Big Pete said:
Why should the 8th team be given any hope? It's their fault they're there in the first place.

but it's not just team 8 who r disidvantaged last yr the dragons (5th) were eliminated & it is possible 4 teams 3 & 4 2 be eliminated in week 1 + some teams r beta off if they loose then if they win which is ridculous

Pigskin

Juniors
Somebody high profile was recently calling for a "Best of 3" GF series.

Could always have a Top 5 with a 3 game GF. That will throw some more $ into the NRL's coffers whilst eliminating teams with no hope qualifying for the finals. And could hold one game at Suncorp regardless of who is playing. Spread the joy. I think we deserve it. Perhaps even a game at the MCG long term. (Just musing, don't jump down my throat).

5 might be a little skinny for 16 teams.

Top 6 is workable and out of 16 would seem reasonable to me. Surely a team needs to be better than average to make the finals.

Just throwing stuff out there, not necessarily agreeing with it all.

Oink !

*Paul*

Juniors
What has to be understood is that the regular season and finals series are separate competitions - the relationship between them is superficial i.e. the first round matchups.

So if it's 4,5,6,7,8 or 10 (as we've had) it really doesn't make any difference.

Azkatro

First Grade
*Paul* said:
What has to be understood is that the regular season and finals series are separate competitions - the relationship between them is superficial i.e. the first round matchups.

So if it's 4,5,6,7,8 or 10 (as we've had) it really doesn't make any difference.

That's exactly why I think the finals should be scrapped altogether. Let's face it - the minor premiers are generally remembered and regarded as the best team of the year. Nobody will deny that Manly were a better team than Newcastle in 1997, but they got done in one game. Finals games reward form, not consistency.

I feel like it's just pointless trying to combine the benefits of a season competition and a cup-style knockout system. As far as I'm concerned, we'd be better off with the normal season with the minor premiers getting the trophy. And if we want knockout football, introduce cups again. That easily solves the problem of "revenue" and gate receipts.

It also gives teams who have little chance of winning the regular competition of winning something - for example the way the Sevens worked before it was scrapped, one team one the cup and another team could win a trophy as well. That would generate plenty of interest and revenue.