What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to start the cleanout?

Talanexor

Juniors
Anyone else think we need a forwards coach Souths have Tallis and just look at the way their boys rip in. Someone to tell them what lines to run, to get them angry Mark Geyer perhaps?

Yes we need a forwards coach. We also need a backs coach to teach our backs how to finish off a try. We need a defence coach to teach the team how to tackle and slide and make dominant tackles. We need a skills coach to teach them how to catch a ball and hold on to it. We also need a motivational coach to pep the boys up and get them playing at the best for the full 80 minutes.

And after we hire all those coaches, what is Neil Henry going to do?

Eelogical

Referee
So, you guys have had marilyn manson for a while now........are you happy with the signing or is it money pissed up against a wall?

elyod138

Bench
Mason has been great this year.

I'd like us to re-sign him for another 2 years, if he can keep up the form (besides last week, he was below par, along with everyone else).

Talanexor

Juniors
Jury is still out. He's been very good in most of the matches he's played, but I'd like to see him keep it up all season before we sign him. I just have this horrible feeling he'll turn into another Carl Webb.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

beave

Coach
Sure, but we should be telling them they aren't wanted at our club and to look elsewhere.

you do realise that even if we cut them, they still have a certain % of their wage on our salary cap???? So for instance, Kaufusi goes to Brisbane and they only pay Kaufusi 80k, and he was on 250k with us, 170k still comes up on our cap I believe.

I'm more dirty on the clown who signed them both for long term deals with us. Imagine if we were offloading Webb, Kaufusi, Manukafoa, Bani, Williams, Ty, Southern, there would be over a mil at least to enter the player market with.

Talanexor

Juniors
Webb, Ty, J Williams, Rovelli, Malone and I believe Bani are off contract at the end of the year. That should free up about $650-700K for 2011. If O'Donnell leaves, that is more likely to be $850K-$1million

Harris, Manuokafoa, Kaufusi and Southern are off-contract at the end of 2011. That should free up another $350-450K for 2012.

Which means we can either try and backload contracts to sign players for 2011 and give Mason an upgrade.

$850K should buy us a pair of decent wingers, don't have to be superstars. Maybe a no-nonsense prop and a depth backrower as well. Which is all we really need.

The money is definitely there, and there are plenty of good backrowers and wingers running around, so we should be able to find one fairly cheaply. Finding a quality front-rower is harder, but finding one better than Kaufusi, Webb or Manuokafoa can't be that hard.

BDR

First Grade
Our no.1 problem is errors IMO. Too much crucial dropped ball, stupid penalties, stupid last tackle options. We can never build pressure because we're flat out going 2 sets in a row without coughing it up with a forward pass or knock-on.

What we need is one good front rower who can really lead the pack and compliment Matt Scott (as much as I like Scott he really doesn't "lead") and some outside backs who can catch a high ball or a bullet pass. Even better if they've got a bit of speed. Sick of watching our two current turds of wingers drop every kick and pass that goes their way, and even if they do manage to catch it they're bundled straight into touch because they're far too slow.

The Pain Game

Juniors
RLW reports that LOD is after 4 years, and he is on good coin now, so I'd bet it would be the same, or better. Unsure if this is a polite way to get out of Townsville, but if we give him what he wants, it will be too hard for anybody else to compete with and he will prob stay.

Real unsure about keeping LOD. If he could stay on the park more, I'd say yes as he plays with a lot of passion for our jersey, but his style exposes him to injuries and suspension and we could afford two decent (no LOD quality) back-rowers. When we are struggling and need to free up coin (and just re-signed JT) we might have to let LOD go, as much as it sucks.

The Pain Game

Juniors
On that note, it is probably about time we played hardball with contracts more. It seems everybody gets good coin to come/stay with us, and in some instances, I doubt they would have left or went elsewhere, but just played the game right or were lucky we offered them something great (above expectation) to begin with. In the instance of Newcastle, I fancy they have to do this, but we tend to be too nice to our players.

I think the Cowboys have developed great luring powers in the last six or so years, but have either used up too much coin on the current roster, or brought the wrong players.

BDR

First Grade
I honestly think O'Donnell is a bit overrated. You can't criticise his passion or desire to play, but penalties (especially) and errors have crept into his game more and more lately, along with his predisposition to injury. If he demands big dollar, I'd say let him go.

Pharoah

Juniors
I honestly think O'Donnell is a bit overrated. You can't criticise his passion or desire to play, but penalties (especially) and errors have crept into his game more and more lately, along with his predisposition to injury. If he demands big dollar, I'd say let him go.

Couldn't agree more, let him go. Not worth the coin he's chasing.

Talanexor

Juniors
Not sure how to feel here. There are plenty of good backrowers going around at the moment, but not that many with mongrel in them. I think every team needs an angry motherf*cker to put on the big hits and fire everyone else up. I can't see Scott or Bolton doing it. Webb used to do it, but then he used to be able to hold onto the ball too.

He's not having a great year, and he seems to be struggling a bit on the right. Nobody in our team is having a great year, except maybe for Bolton and Tonga.

O'Donnell was great for us last year and has been consistently good over a long period of time, when he manages to keep his aggression in check. I'd be very sad to see him go, especially if we keep a guy like Southern who at his very best is mediocre.

It just wouldn't feel right for O'Donnell to play in another jersey. And I think he is one player we would really struggle to replace.

O'Donnell is a keeper for mine, but he has to find a way to minimise his penalties. It also means that we can't afford to have anyone else in the team who is injury- or penalty-prone.

Of course, it all comes down to $$$.

beave

Coach
LOD wants 250k a year for 4 years, I would offer him that but only 3 year deal.

He is an absolute gun of a player, but he has just been unlucky and at times stupid over the last few years, he is worth every penny of that IMO.

Charlie124

First Grade
250k a year for 4 years????

If thats all he's after i say give it to him in a heartbeat, thats dirt cheap for a player of his tallent. If he were asking 350k+ id be happy to let him go but thats nothing.

Talanexor

Juniors
How about 200K/year for three years plus a bonus of up to 50K/year if he doesn't miss any matches through suspension?

He's getting on a bit, and I don't know if he'd be past it in 4 years time. Plus if you structure it that way then there's a real incentive for him to stay on the field.

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
250k is a great deal on luke o'donnel. To think you've been spending that sort of money on Kaufusi and Webb, and as much as I dislike O'donnell, I dont think I've ever seen him take the soft option.

AB129*

Juniors
From an outsider's perspective, I think you guys should be only looking to resign guys like Ty Williams and Steve Southern as depth, not as your front liners. As for O'Donnell, it depends on whether you have another lock forward in your system- is Hogan a tackler in the mold of Michael Luck or Dallas Johnson? I think you guys suit that sort of player at lock, and go with a big pack around him.

But yeah, I think O'Donnell and Webb's money could be better spent elsewhere.

You need another centre, preferably one with some mongrel. Ash Graham's just like David Simmons... you need better. Tate would be awesome for you guys if you could get him, otherwise I'd look at a cheaper option Justin Carney or Ben Pomeroy. Both have some defensive deficiencies but run the ball strongly and tackle hard. Rumour is that you're after talanoa- scrap that ideaand get two cheaper options in james stuart from the raiders and gareth widdop from the storm who would be perfect, particularly if you get an experienced centre like tate. Youse need another prop- I reckon either Brad Meyers or bring big Tronc home. And for some more experience and mongrel in the back row- Costigan.

Something like:

1) M. Bowen
2) M. Bani/J. Stuart
3) B. Tate/ J. Carney
4) W. Tonga
5) M. Duffie
6) R. Thompson
7) J. Thurston (c)
8) M. Scott
9) A. Payne
10) B. Meyers/ S. Tronc
11) S. Bolton
12) W. Mason
13) D. Hogan

14) J. Tamou
15) A. Kaufusi
16) N. Costigan
17) A. Watts

BDR

First Grade
I still think 250k is too much, especially over 4 years with O'Donnell's injuries and suspensions. However I do agree that we've spent that much on Webb and Kaufusi, who are not even half as passionate as LOD is. I haven't heard anywhere what he's actually asking for, and if it's as low as 200/150k then that's a lot more attractive.

I really think we should be chasing Justin Carney by the way, he is an absolute machine.

Canard

Immortal
Tybo was only really signed for this season on a cheapy deal.

His cap space would be minimal, and he is not going to be signed next season.

Asedenburns

Juniors
If Graham cann cut the errors Id find a place for him on the team wing if we get a gun centre, the guy averages 89m a game with some room maybe more must be hard to move with our habbit of bunching up. his defence has improved
Talanoa av 95.7m a game has speed to burn and can score trys
Are there any good props off contract or should we source qld cup?
and what is with the love for Justin Carney? never seen him what type of centre is he

Latest posts