What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to start the cleanout?

Talanexor

Juniors
Is it time we started looking to the future? I just can't see us winning any time soon. I'd love to be proven wrong, but we're still making the same handling mistakes, the same players are still sh*t and still getting picked each week.

Henry must be feeling the pressure now, he came back here with most fans cheering, and he's produced bugger all. But is it his fault? Or the boards? Or the players'?

With JT and Tamou locked up for another 3 years and the emergence of Thompson and Morgan, is it time we did a complete cleanout and start afresh next year? That means dropping players we aren't going to have next year, and blooding youngsters.

It also means getting rid of some of the management. Our recruitment has been very hit and miss for a while and Henry needs either a defensive assistant or a motivator to help him coach (or both). Our team's attitude sucks, our defence sucks and no one really knows what our attack is like because we throw the ball away before we have a chance to show it.

This would be a very hard decision to make because it essentially means kissing the rest of the season goodbye, and nobody wants that to happen. At the same time, watching the same crap served up week after week is frustrating the fans and the players.

Are we about ready to start looking to the future?

elyod138

Bench
It should only happen once it is mathematically impossible for us to make the finals.

Even then, I don't see many Under 20's players ready to step up yet. Maybe 2 or 3 of them at most.

slammingsam

Juniors
Ive watched your 20s a few times this year as well as last year.
In my eyes - lock up David Uhi and in particular Jason Taumololo on long contracts and James Segyearo.

I know i have half the spellings wrong but you know who im talking about ;)

elyod138

Bench
Yep, Taumalolo in particular is one to look out for.

He looks good enough to make an impact off the bench in first grade already, despite being 16.

He's still at least a year off first grade I think, maybe longer, because he plays in the forwards.

Titanic

First Grade
Pity you couldn't get Segeyero's father Ifiso - a quality 5/8 in his time.

Last edited:

BDR

First Grade
They can start by not resigning Carl Webb, who has done SFA for the Cowboys over the last 3 years and eats up a disproportionate amount of the salary cap.

I believe there are a number of other under-performing slackarses off contract at the end of the year as well, but names escape me.

Talanexor

Juniors
They can start by not resigning Carl Webb, who has done SFA for the Cowboys over the last 3 years and eats up a disproportionate amount of the salary cap.

I believe there are a number of other under-performing slackarses off contract at the end of the year as well, but names escape me.[/QUOTE]

I assume you're talking about the usual suspects: Webb, Kaufusi, Manuokafoa, Rovelli, plus the guys who aren't good enough for first grade anymore: Harris, Ty Williams, potentially Malone

I'd get rid of them, along with Southern, and Bani (John Williams I'd keep for depth). Rapira is gone, and I've heard O'Donnell wants to go as well.

That should give us at least a million and a half to play with, maybe more. Should be able to sign a couple of decent front rowers, a couple of depth backrowers and outside backs with that, as well as give Mason an increase (depending on how he goes for the rest of the season).

1. Bowen
3. Graham
4. Tonga
6. Thompson
7. Thurston
8. Scott
9. Payne
10. Tamou
11. Bolton
12. Mason
13. Hogan

14. Watts
15. L Ah Mau

20. I Ah Mau
21. Achurch
22. Geia
23. Morgan
24. Gallant
25. John Williams

I think we have the nucleus of a good side right there. Just need some no-nonsense forwards who'll roll up their sleeves and get through some work, and some outside backs who can catch and finish off a try.

Bow_rider

Juniors
Two youngsters going outstanding for the Cutters, Tyson Martin and Justin Hunt. Both seem to be getting better every week.

elyod138

Bench
Wayne Ulugia is another fullback who looks good, he's currently playing on the wing.

Hopefully one or both of them can play well on the wing or in the centres and push for a first grade spot.

I like the look of Feldt too, I think he has the potential to be a solid, reliable first grader.

Talanexor

Juniors
Kaufusi and Manuakafoa aren't off contract.

Sure, but we should be telling them they aren't wanted at our club and to look elsewhere.

Wayne Ulugia is another fullback who looks good, he's currently playing on the wing.

Hopefully one or both of them can play well on the wing or in the centres and push for a first grade spot.

I like the look of Feldt too, I think he has the potential to be a solid, reliable first grader.

Our NYC squad is dripping with talent - thats' why we're sitting first on the ladder at the moment. How many of those kids succeed at NRL level - and how quickly we can bring them in - is the key.

Elisala, Ulugia and Feldt are all great prospects, but so was Geia and he hasn't been able to crack first grade this year, although injuries have had a lot to do with that.

If we keep those kids together, we'll have a great homegrown side in 4-5 years. But I don't want to wait that long.

The Pain Game

Juniors
I'm pretty satisfied with the under 20 results minus Thompson and Morgan, who I thought nearly carried them to the finals when Thompson came back from injury last year. James Segeyaro is a real player of the future, and when he scored on the weekend, I'm sure the Warriors read his dummy but still could not match his pace and foot work.

The NRL team is certainly in trouble and I feel we might come good when it is too late. LOD, Bowen, Payne, JT and Webb have all played bugger all lately and it probably showed (their form and combinations).

D

Deleted member 10972

Well I think the Cowboys should field:

1. Bowen
2. Williams
3. Tupou
4. Tonga
5. Graham (I think he plays a bit better out wide)
6. Thompson/Watts
7. Thurston
8. Scott
9. Payne
10. Tamou
11. Mason
12. Bolton
13. Hogan

14. Watts/Segeyaro
15. Southern
16. I Ah Mau
17. L Ah Mau

Morgan, Elisala, Taumalolo and Ulugia are still a few years from first grade. Will Tupou, Ray Thompson and James Segeyaro will be old enough to be in the FG squad next year. Southern isn't that bad, he wouldn't be on too much $$$ either. Clear out Kaufusi, Rovelli, Manuokafoa, T Williams, Harris, Webb - also let O'Donnell go if he doesn't want to stay. That will give you plenty of cap space to tie up some kids, and maybe pick up 1-2 more star players.

elyod138

Bench
Southern has probably been our worst forward this year in the little time he has had, that is saying something.

I hope we don't re-sign him, he will be remembered forever, but it's time to move on.

Asedenburns

Juniors
I hope the cows bite the bullet, throw past loyalities out the window and drop the bulk of the squad. If its obvious to the fans what the team needs than why isnt it obvious to the club? I've read somewhere they are waiting for Southern to get fit before they talk to him WHY he is past it.
We need some speed in the backs and power in the forwards they dont even have to be names.
Why are we looking at the under 20's why not pride/cutters? they may not be setting the world on fire but they are suppose to be our reserves.

Last edited:

Asedenburns

Juniors
Anyone else think we need a forwards coach Souths have Tallis and just look at the way their boys rip in. Someone to tell them what lines to run, to get them angry Mark Geyer perhaps?