What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tina Turner

Do you want Tina Turner back?

• Yes...

Votes: 70 68.0%
  • No...

Votes: 33 32.0%

• Total voters

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Channel 9s add is more for an advertisement for the Roosters and Parramatta I hardly saw the Warriors the just a glimpse on the Sharks what a poor effort who was in charge of marketing the Roosters board lol

This is correct.
The roosters board also makes final decisions regarding salary cap compliance

The Great Dane

First Grade
A good fitting song is a good fitting song. Doesn't matter who belts it out. Those too young to remember wont care, they don't know what they don't know.

Beyonce might be huge but you couldn't just slap 'Put A Ring On It' over RL highlights.

Nobody was actually suggesting that the NRL should attempt to get Beyonce to represent them, but lets say hypothetically that they did manage to get her to do a campaign and that it's objectively the worst ad that the NRL has ever produced. It'd still be the most successful marketing campaign in RL history because all they'd have to do is get Beyonce to put the ad up on her social media and more people would be exposed to the NRL by that ad in one day then all of RL's other marketing campaigns put together.

BTW, you're right that the young people, and other people that aren't already fans, won't care about a Tina Turner campaign, that in of it's self is the problem because those two demographics are the ones where there's the most potential growth.

Chimp

Bench
Well, so couldn’t give a rats about whether it’s out of date, nostalgic, doesn’t appeal to today’s youth blah blah blah I LOVE it! Sure, they should have had a much more equal share of footage for all teams, but it’s great all the same. The song is an anthem (timeless), the footage is good, it all works together and helps build up the hype. The fact it’s wound up a load of gimps too only adds to its value in my opinion.

LOVE IT.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Something that has been successful previously is bound to be better than something an overpaid marketing dipshit could come up with today

horrie hastings

First Grade
The song sung by Tina Turner and used to promote Rugby League in the 80s and 90's was called "The Best". Previously recorded under the same name by Bonnie Tyler.

Yes and Bonnie could only take it no 95 on the UK charts compared to Tinas version a year later which made no 5.
Bonnies version didnt chart in Australia and Tinas made no 4. Bonnie sang The Best when I saw her at the Enmore Theatre quite a few years ago and it was a great version but I did see in a interview she did before hand that even though she did originally sing it Tina did the best version.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Channel 9s add is more for an advertisement for the Roosters and Parramatta I hardly saw the Warriors the just a glimpse on the Sharks what a poor effort who was in charge of marketing the Roosters board lol

Tends to happen for the Premiers, what did you expect, the ad to finish with Gal holding up the trophy?

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Whether the song 'Simply the Best' is ever used again or not, one thing is clear. Tina Turner will not be with us forever.

The NRL more than any other organisation - sporting, musical or otherwise - owes her a huge debt of gratitude.

I expect a substantial tribute from Rugby League to this lady once she leaves us.

It was just a coincidence that T Turner did that song at the end of the 80's and beginning of the 90's, They could have had Kylie and Rebekah Elmaloglou singing a song and the result in attendances and product on the pitch would have been the same.

typicalfan

Coach
It was just a coincidence that T Turner did that song at the end of the 80's and beginning of the 90's, They could have had Kylie and Rebekah Elmaloglou singing a song and the result in attendances and product on the pitch would have been the same.
But they didn't. The song all these years later in Australia is tied to Rugby League which shows the impact it has had. Other sports were envious.