What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tinkler proposal back on (take 3)

Burwood

Bench
Supporters club have stepped up today full page AD in the Herald warning against proxy hunters, I wonder who is funding them or if the raffle tickets are paying for it.

I'm a bit out of the loop here in Broken Hill- are proxy hunters looking for members who will vote FOR Tinkler's proposal, and the ad is aimed at scaring these people off or making it somehow look like an unethical or illegal practice??

cram

Bench
I'm a bit out of the loop here in Broken Hill- are proxy hunters looking for members who will vote FOR Tinkler's proposal, and the ad is aimed at scaring these people off or making it somehow look like an unethical or illegal practice??

The aim of the ad, IMO is to try and stop people giving their proxies to a "yes' voter. In the information provided from the club Rob Tew said he would take proxies and he was voting "yes" to both proposals. There was a full page ad in The Herald the other day from Paul Harrogan asking for proxies and he would be voting "yes".

The ads from the supporters group are worded to try and say don't give away your vote, make the vote yourself. They don't say they are for or against the proposal but I know that that their secretary is against privatization.

They would also know that if people don't vote, that is they don't give proxies and they don't bother personally voting then the chance of the 75% being achieved is reduced.

I am not sure what their agenda is but I would hazard a guess its aimed at stopping the privitsation of the club.

cram

Bench
The "Supporters Club" has stepped up today with a full page ad in the paper. The message is the same about giving away proxies but they have also promoted the Patrons Trust Model.

cram

Bench
Are they strong enough with the older membership to actually sway the vote?

I don't realy know the answer to that. They are vocal thats for sure and I am wondering who is funding their campaign or whether its coming out of the supporters clubs funds?

They will no doubt have a core group whom they already have as no voters but other then that its anyones guess.

IMO, based on my observations at two meetings Jim Thornton, who I acknowledge has worked hard for the club, has a sense of entitlement relating to the club and is very, very old school in his attitude.

perverse

Referee
IMO, based on my observations at two meetings Jim Thornton, who I acknowledge has worked hard for the club, has a sense of entitlement relating to the club and is very, very old school in his attitude.
... and that's an understatement. the guy must be 190 years old. he's so old he has grey hairs that grow out of the end of his nose... and i'm not even joking. it did my head in deluxe. as for his views on the club, old school and borderline senile. i wouldn't be surprised if he rocks up to Knights HQ once a week to discuss our recruitment decisions or some sh*t, such is his sense of entitlement.

i shouldn't knock the bloke, he clearly bleeds red and blue... he'd just be much happier to watch a group of strugglers for the next 10 years, as long as it was his group of strugglers, rather than see our club successful.

Frederick

Staff member
Jim Thornton, who put that ad in the paper, also wrote into the short takes section telling people we don't need Tinkler and don't vote for him.

cram

Bench
Jim Thornton, who put that ad in the paper, also wrote into the short takes section telling people we don't need Tinkler and don't vote for him.

Yeah saw that as well, he made mention of the club winning all 5 games on the weekend and that "we" know how to run a club and we don't need privitisation....:crazy:

Alex28

Coach
Interesting. He might just have some sway on the vote. Obviously committed to the no vote - can't imagine full page ad's in the Herald are cheap.

Admire his dedication to the cause however frustrating that he might just pull enough no votes to derail this thing...

Joker's Wild

Coach
I feel guilty not renewing my full membership (I have only been a supporter member since '08) since it has been made clear to me just how old and blind our voting membership base truely is.

These people effectively hold the clubs future in their hands and I have very little faith in them actually looking beyond their short life spans.

perverse

Referee
I feel guilty not remewing my full membership (I have only been a supporter member since '08) since it has been made clear to me just how old and blind our voting membership base truely is.

These people effectively hold the clubs fiture in their hands and I have very little faith in them actually looking beyond their short life spans.
oh man, you should have been at the first members meeting that happened a monday or 2 ago. i was dead set ready to detonate.

i'm actually a little ashamed to admit i spent most of my time listening to old Jim giggling to myself at how stereotypical old fart he really is. i could have written his scripts for him.

Alex isn't wrong, he may well get enough votes to sink the deal... although i have it on good authority that it won't stop there, if the members don't put it through the first time. there is more fight in a lot of other influential people, too. it is Jims prerogative to do as he is doing, although i do question where the funds for his campaign are coming from - assuming he has any.

Burwood

Bench
Tinkler needs to get some of the Old Boys onto the case and have them target this "supporters club" head on. A full page ad of Harragon advising people about acting in the club's, not their, best interest should sway all but the most one-eyed supporters.

Even get a few ex-players at a meeting with Tinkler, Jim and the Nannas to see if they still feel the same way after chatting it through. If they don't even bother to accept the invitiation, all the better for swaying those members still undecided on how to vote.

And while the website looks good, lets be honest- how many of the old farts do you think have access to the Internet. Talk back radio and the Herald are the best way to target them. You get the feeling that if Tinkler can silence, or at least drown out, the vocal minority then we should see the vote easily reach the 75% needed.

And one last thing- surely the Herald can turn down advertising dollars? A positive long-term relationship with Tinkler has to be worth a lot more than 3 weeks of one-page ads. You'd think that behind the scenes Tinkler must be applying a bit of pressure for the Herald not to run the ads.

cram

Bench
Tinkler needs to get some of the Old Boys onto the case and have them target this "supporters club" head on. A full page ad of Harragon advising people about acting in the club's, not their, best interest should sway all but the most one-eyed supporters.

Even get a few ex-players at a meeting with Tinkler, Jim and the Nannas to see if they still feel the same way after chatting it through. If they don't even bother to accept the invitiation, all the better for swaying those members still undecided on how to vote.

And while the website looks good, lets be honest- how many of the old farts do you think have access to the Internet. Talk back radio and the Herald are the best way to target them. You get the feeling that if Tinkler can silence, or at least drown out, the vocal minority then we should see the vote easily reach the 75% needed.

And one last thing- surely the Herald can turn down advertising dollars? A positive long-term relationship with Tinkler has to be worth a lot more than 3 weeks of one-page ads. You'd think that behind the scenes Tinkler must be applying a bit of pressure for the Herald not to run the ads.

Tinkler has had the old boys going in to bat. I believe there has been some television ads but given I don't watch much commerical TV I have not seen them.

Over the past week or so there has been a full page ad featuring Tinkler, another one featuring Harrogan, one featuring Leigh Maughan and today there is one with Michael Hagan.

I would say that the efforts will intenisfy in the next week as I believe proxies have to be lodge by 29/3.

Which reminds me I have to send mine to someone.

The fact is that these older members have kept their membership up and are the "cardigan" wearing old time fund raisers from yester year. They honestly believe that the hand to mouth existence can continue and that some how, some way the Knights will rise from the ashes like the proverbial phoniex and win a premiership.

Given the push for proxies from the big players if people post their proxies in then the result will be known before the meeting. I think if it relies on face to face voting on the night then its doomed and this is what the supporters club would know. They would know that most of the time hardly anyone that can vote goes to the AGM, and this is where their motivation for saying "no" to proxies is coming from.

There has to be someone with $$$ and smarts behind them, because they are being very astute in the way its publicised they are not saying straight out NO, they are asking people to make their own decisions and not give them their votes to others.

Last edited:

Serc

First Grade
Fans challenge takeover
BY IAN KIRKWOOD
18 Mar, 2011 04:00 AM

THE battle for the hearts and minds of Knights supporters has taken another turn with newspaper advertisements questioning the Tinkler Sports Group's takeover plan.
The ads, signed off by "Jim Thornton, Newcastle Knights Supporters Club member No 2010", are addressed to Newcastle Knights members "defending our kingdom".
The ads describe the Tinkler bid as "privatisation of our club to private ownership" and describe the rival "patrons' trust" as a "members' and community model in the purest sense".
An early version of the ad carried the official Knights logo, but chief executive Steve Burraston confirmed the club had asked for its removal because the supporters' club was not entitled to use the logo for "political purposes".
Repeated calls by the Newcastle Herald to Mr Thornton's Bonnells Bay home went unanswered yesterday.
Knights director Leigh Maughan said he had known Mr Thornton since their footballing days together and the supporters club was the group of people who sold trifecta raffle tickets at home games.
"They'd have half a dozen members now, that's all," Mr Maughan said.
Mr Burraston said the group had more members than Mr Maughan was saying but could not put a number on it.
Patrons' trust spokesman Andrew Poole said he had seen the ads but did not know who wrote them, authorised them or paid for them.
"I got a phone call the other day from a supporter asking me if the patrons' trust was still around and I said it had never gone away," he said.
He said he did not know if the ads and the phone call were related but if they were not, he did not find it unusual that someone would place an ad favouring the patrons' trust without checking first.
He had no comment on the Tinkler proposal for the Knights but said Mr Burraston was doing "a great job under enormous fire".
http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/news/general/fans-challenge-takeover/2106879.aspx

to_ddeath

Coach
Simple: because they are in a city of 2 million. Broncos crowds are quite poor IMO. If you wanted to look at it "per capita" the Raiders for example get far better crowds than the Broncos. Cowboys get the best (I think).

Anywho, my question is what happened to the Jets' crowds when Tinkler cut the prices?

Apart from drumming up your own f*king club on another clubs thread, what on earth was the purpose of this entire comment??
Pompous git.
:lol:

T.

Last edited:

Serc

First Grade
Letter from Knights Chairman
By Rob Tew
newcastleknights.com
18/03/2011 4:15:03 PM

There is evidently much emotion surrounding the upcoming members’ vote on the Tinkler Sports Group (TSG) privatisation proposal.
Such is as a consequence of our members and supporters passion for their Football Club coupled with a desire to see the best outcome for the Club and its future.
It is important that members take the opportunity to inform themselves fully as to the commercial and non commercial aspects of the TSG proposal as they may impact the Club.
The explanatory memorandum which the club has provided to members evidences the positives associated with the commercial benefits which are anticipated to be derived from the TSG proposal. The memorandum also evidences risks associated with the proposal.
As I understand it, TSG representatives have been actively sharing their views of the non commercial benefits of their proposal to member groups and will continue to do so up to the date of the vote.
There has also been much talk recently of prospective alternatives to the TSG proposal.
It is important I remind you what the alternatives are: a continuation of the status quo (which is not to be contemplated) and a Patrons Trust proposal (which is an inferior financial proposal).
Over the previous three years the board has actively pursued alternative funding opportunities as it is our view that the status quo is not tenable in the medium to long term.
A Patrons Trust model has not been contemplated by the Club since the TSG reinstated and amended their proposal on 23 February so as to satisfy those concerns the Board had of the TSG draft proposal at that time.
On 3 March the Knights Board – in the majority – endorsed the TSG proposal and recommended it to members for their support at a vote on 31 March.
The Board believes that TSG proposal is a superior financial proposal to the alternatives and offers an outstanding commercial opportunity to members.
On the basis of the commercial benefits as are anticipated to extend to the Club the Board is recommending your support of the TSG proposal.

Rob Tew

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/...y&id=34519&title=letter-from-knights-chairman

Latest posts