What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tinkler proposal back on (take 3)

Serc

First Grade
Did you watch the interview with Burraston on the Sunday Footy Show last weekend? At the time I mentioned that he wasn't pushing the Patron's Trust at all (which from memory you were betting that he did)

I still haven't seen any reason to believe that he is any less supportive of the TSG proposal than anyone else on the board or involved with the club.

Spot On

Coach
Burro getting pasted on Talkin Sport. Apparently the club has said he is not talking about the club to anyone anymore. Old Jimmy claiming the club has no debt and that he is getting info from the heirachy at the club and has used said info as ammunition in the ad in the paper that has his name attached to it. Leigh Maughan telling listeners that you'd have to be a dead sh*t not to see how good Tinkler's deal is. It's all happening this arvo.

cram

Bench
Burro getting pasted on Talkin Sport. Apparently the club has said he is not talking about the club to anyone anymore. Old Jimmy claiming the club has no debt and that he is getting info from the heirachy at the club and has used said info as ammunition in the ad in the paper that has his name attached to it. Leigh Maughan telling listeners that you'd have to be a dead sh*t not to see how good Tinkler's deal is. It's all happening this arvo.

What poor old Jimmy is saying is his own interpretation of information he has heard. Jimmy, you have been a faithful servant to the club but you are out of your depth on this one. Tinkler has shot you down this arvo, in a polite way and in fact you are now doing a good job of making yourself look a fool.

aqua_duck

Coach
Im sure in Jimmy's mind, our team has the best of everything, supplements, gym equipment, staff, etc. In his mind we've probably won the premiership the last 5 years

cram

Bench
Im sure in Jimmy's mind, our team has the best of everything, supplements, gym equipment, staff, etc. In his mind we've probably won the premiership the last 5 years

I feel sorry for him. IMO his heart is in the right place but he is misinformed and believes we are still in 70's. Perverse, who is prone to making harsh judgements on people :lol::lol::lol: is spot on in his observations on Jim.

I was sitting next to perverse at one of the meetings and I think my comment to him was "this is the siege mentality you speak of".

BunniesMan

Immortal
I think that just about says it all. Everybody wants it bar a very vocal minority...
And it only takes a minority to stop a great deal like this. If just 25.1% of your members are stubborn archaic anti privatisation fools, this won't go ahead.

chinorocks

Juniors
I live in Brisbane and unfortunately due to our ridiculously sh*t out of town memberships, I am no longer a member. At the moment I'm feeling a bit out of the loop. My question is, gut feelings, is this deal going to get up?

Alex28

Coach
Ouch...

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...urraston-on-takeover/2107862.aspx?storypage=0

Tew silences Burraston on takeover
BY ROBERT DILLON
19 Mar, 2011 04:00 AM
Knights chairman Rob Tew has urged members to vote to support the Nathan Tinkler takeover proposal – and gagged chief executive Steve Burraston from talking about it.
In response yesterday to a campaign urging Knights members to consider the so-called Patrons’ Trust as an alternative to privatisation, Mr Tew issued a statement recommending constituents vote in favour of Mr Tinkler at a historic annual general meeting on March 31.

The Knights’ board endorsed Mr Tinkler’s revamped deal on March 3, and Mr Tew reminded the club’s 3000 voting members yesterday that it was the best available option.

‘‘It is important I remind you what the alternatives are: a continuation of the status quo, which is not to be contemplated, and a Patrons’ Trust proposal, which is an inferior financial proposal,’’ Mr Tew’s statement said.

‘‘Over the previous three years the board has actively pursued alternative funding opportunities as it is our view that the status quo is not tenable in the medium to long-term.

‘‘A Patrons’ Trust model has not been contemplated by the club since the Tinkler Sports Group reinstated and amended their proposal on 23 February so as to satisfy those concerns the board had of the TSG [Tinkler Sports Group] draft proposal at that time.

‘‘On March 3, the Knights’ board – in the majority – endorsed the TSG proposal and recommended it to members for their support at a vote on March 31.

‘‘The board believes that TSG proposal is a superior financial proposal to the alternatives and offers an outstanding commercial opportunity to members.

‘‘On the basis of the commercial benefits as are anticipated to extend to the club, the board is recommending your support of the TSG proposal.’’

Mr Tew’s statement should at least partially appease the Tinkler camp, which was angered by two television appearances Mr Burraston made in the past week to discuss the privatisation bid – on the Channel 9 Footy Show last Sunday and on Foxtel’s post-match show after Monday Night Football.

The Newcastle Herald understands TSG executive chairman Ken Edwards phoned Mr Tew yesterday to voice his disapproval.

When the Herald contacted Mr Burraston yesterday, he confirmed he had been ordered to take a vow of silence.

‘‘At the insistence of the Tinkler group, I’m not allowed to comment on the privatisation matter in any form,’’ he said.

‘‘So I have to decline to comment ... all I can say is that to comply with the request of the Tinkler group I am unable to comment at all.’’

It is understood the Tinkler group felt Mr Burraston did not give its bid an enthusiastic endorsement when he was interviewed on television.

During an eight-minute interview, Mr Burraston told Foxtel’s panel of experts: ‘‘the board has recommended the deal to members. They’ve said they’ve supported it,’’ he said.

‘‘They said they’ve weighed up the risks that are involved in the deal and also the commerciality of the deal.

‘‘In all deals there is risk. And there is risk in this deal.

‘‘But they believe the commercial aspects of the deal, in other words the financial income that may come from it, outweigh those risks.

‘‘And they’re taking Nathan at his word that he’s going to do the right thing by the club.’’

Mr Burraston also cast some doubt about whether the club was in need of a financial lifeline.

‘‘We’re essentially a break-even club,’’ he said. ‘‘Over 23 years, we’re less than 2per cent on the wrong side of the ledger. That’s not an ideal position –we’d all like to have more money.

‘‘But we all operate under a salary cap, so there is only so much you can do with the money anyhow.’’

Mr Burraston told Foxtel he wanted members to ‘‘make an informed decision’’ because it was the most important decision in the club’s history.

His comments on Foxtel prompted an angry response from former Knights board member Garry Murphy, who in a letter published in the Newcastle Herald on Wednesday wrote: ‘‘Mr Burraston, the board’s role is to govern and the CEO’s role is to manage, execute and support strategies agreed to by the board.

‘‘I suggest our chairman should continue as our spokesman, which would at least dismiss possible perceptions of any personal conflict of interest.’’

Mr Tew’s statement was his only comment yesterday. He did not respond to messages.

It is pretty sad that it has come to this. Burro has done a great job as CEO however being less than enthusiastic and not properly putting the boards message out to the people was never going to do him any favours. He will come under immense scrutiny if the Tinkler deal does not get voted through - perhaps to the point where his position becomes untenable.

I am going to say yes it will go through because Rob Tew actually sent a letter out yesterday referring to the Patrons Trust as the 'inferior' model as opposed to the usual spin of an 'alternative' model. When the Chairman says the model proposed will make us better off without doubt I think the members will listen.

Ouch...

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...urraston-on-takeover/2107862.aspx?storypage=0

It is pretty sad that it has come to this. Burro has done a great job as CEO however being less than enthusiastic and not properly putting the boards message out to the people was never going to do him any favours. He will come under immense scrutiny if the Tinkler deal does not get voted through - perhaps to the point where his position becomes untenable.
I think Burro is gone if tinkler takes over and that is sadly the reality. Personally I don't think he did anything wrong in the Fox interview and he was pretty impressive actually. TSG is playing with fire going after Burro again even if not directly saying so. This sort of angry response etc. could sink the whole thing as Burro is well loved in many circles within the club.

...or maybe he is busy working for what is best for the club, like he does pretty much every spare minute that he has, instead of taking anonymous potshots on internet forums.

Just a thought.
You can't blame him for defending Burro as they are mates but in all honesty, Macavity has met with Tinkler and he can see the merit in the offer TSG is putting forward. The blinkers are not on him at all. Mac has a standing at the club as the CEO;-) of the Crusade and is well known in local media circles so he has a responsibility to do what is best for the club and IMO has done bloody well to be impartial. Some will argue he hasn't been impartial but I don't care cos he is as passionate as anyone here.

Johns Magic

Referee
Everytime I hear the phrase "Patron's Trust" I get a massive urge to roll my eyes.

Even the notion that this is a viable "alternative model" is ridiculous, and it reeks of a certain CEO patting himself on the back.

slotmachine

First Grade
I think you may have misconstrued my meaning.

I wasn't aiming to belittle the work that Macavity does for the club or question his support of the Tinkler deal. If I came across that way I apologise.

I was having a light hearted dig at his contant ascertation that Burraston is not anti-privatisation.

I wasn't aware that they were friends.

Latest posts