What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tinkler pulls plug

DJShaksta

First Grade
Johns might do well to remember that snowden would be one of your boys if he wasnt treated like crap. And tilse would too if he wasn't scapegoated for higher profile players...

Same goes for Greg Bird, he was a nobody when cronulla signed him. Now he's an international and state of origin player suddenly he's a Newcastle junior who should come home???
f**k off Joey.

adamkungl

Immortal
Lol...typical Knights. Yet again the old merkins are getting dragged out to put sh*t on the club. Still sooking about Brian Smith lol. Knights can do better than selling their soul to the fat prick for $0

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
More like typical media... using washed-up go-to's for quotes knowing they'll drum up the public outrage.

The coverage of this has been atrociously one-sided and bare on facts.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Same goes for Greg Bird, he was a nobody when cronulla signed him. Now he's an international and state of origin player suddenly he's a Newcastle junior who should come home???
f**k off Joey.
Well, to be honest, he has always been a Newcastle junior ...

Special K

Coach
Bird was a talented kid and we offered a top 25 spot to him at 17. Newcastle thought he should play flegg... He spent much more time as a Shark than a knight. We spent some pretty bad years developing and sticking with him as he matured.

applesauce

Bench
On the Back Page yesterday Billy Birmingham was going off he said this along the lines about 5 or 6 times:

"What why would the knights not want $100million dollars, can someone explain how stupid that is to turn down?"

No-one pulled him up, or explained the details etc. It is stupid beyond comprehension that that is a sports show and the people who watch it (and believe it) don't get the facts... Then they proceeded to give it too the board saying they will turfed out and Tinkler will just deal with the next mob.

This is journalism at it's worst, feeding the masses BS.

axl rose

Bench
On the Back Page yesterday Billy Birmingham was going off he said this along the lines about 5 or 6 times:

"What why would the knights not want $100million dollars, can someone explain how stupid that is to turn down?"

No-one pulled him up, or explained the details etc. It is stupid beyond comprehension that that is a sports show and the people who watch it (and believe it) don't get the facts... Then they proceeded to give it too the board saying they will turfed out and Tinkler will just deal with the next mob.

This is journalism at it's worst, feeding the masses BS.

That show has gone to hell over the years. The AFL jounro on there from the Age finds the alleged cocaine use of 40 year old men with a 17 year old girls hilarious. Who is the league man these days? Paul Kent? oh dear.

Slackboy72

Coach
http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...nkler-pulls-deal/story-fn2mcuj6-1226010491257

Andrew Poole offers 'no strings attached' donation to help Newcastle Knights after Nathan Tinkler pulls deal

* By Brent Read
* The Australian
* February 23, 2011 8:22AM

Local businessman Andrew Poole is ready to face the Newcastle Knights faithful and detail his plan for the club.

It involves Poole and like-minded Novocastrians tipping millions into the club over the next four years.

Unlike mining and racing magnate Nathan Tinkler, they want nothing in return. They don't want their money back. They don't want to own the club. They just want to help the Knights survive and thrive. Most importantly, they want the club to remain in the hands of the community.

As it stands, the proposal will result in the Knights receiving $6 million.

That figure could rise to $10m under a patrons trust plan where money merely provides assistance rather than ownership.

The money would then be directed towards junior development, community programs and other initiatives. In turn, that will free up money to spend on the football club.

"The Newcastle community has been very good to me over the years," Poole said.

"I am a rugby league tragic, that is the truth of the matter. I am passionate about the Knights being a community-based club rather than privatised.

"This model is an alternative to privatisation - they're not compatible. If the members choose to privatise, I respect their right to do that; the patrons trust model will disappear.

"If they choose not to, that is the status quo remains, the patrons are ready to go - to make donations to the club of a minimum of $6m over the next four years, leaving spots open up to $10m.

"The money we're proposing is a straight-out donation. There are no strings attached, no necessity for the club to repay the money at the end of it."

Poole and Newcastle chief executive Steve Burraston have been discussing the patrons trust concept since last year. Poole, a director of mining services company Resco and NSW baseball, grew up a St George fan but was at the Knights' inaugural game in 1988 and has a sponsor's box at EnergyAustralia Stadium.

"It is my most vehement commitment that a community-based club suits Newcastle, not a privately owned club," Poole said.

"This is all about what can we do to make sure the club is viable? And how do we keep the club owned by the members for the members? It has two simple objectives: one is to keep the Knights community-owned. The Knights will be owned by the members as it is now. The second is to ensure the financial viability of the Knights into the future.

"There are no strings attached. They are straight out donations that go on top of the Knights' revenue streams. This doesn't water down any revenue stream at all.

"The way the club is trading this will ensure the prosperity and viability of the club long into the future. It will be reviewed at the end of four years. I am hoping by then we get stampeded in the rush. This is an initial commitment for four years. My discussion with the other patrons is we're here for the long run."

Poole will take his case to the members at a meeting on Monday. It won't be easy. Tinkler's bid to buy the Knights, which was taken off the table on Monday, has whipped supporters into a frenzy.

"I intend looking the members in the eye and answering questions I have to answer," Poole said.

"The Knights are fully-funded now and a profitable club. This is over and above to make sure the Knights take the extra step on and off the field."

Beat that Tinkler you greasy fat lump of sh!t.

Last edited:

Dragon

Coach
I cringed seeing footage of knights members at a pub signing up for the extraordinary meeting. Morons

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sounds ok but $1.5mill a year for 4 years (around a 8-10% revenue increase) isn't going to make a huge amount of difference. Any income is most welcome I'm sure but will it change the clubs long term fortunes? Getting a better stadium deal would also be a priority I hear.

Not knocking it at all and if I was a Knights member I'd probably be happier with this than someone like Tinkler who is showing how he operates.

adamkungl

Immortal
Odd that they choose to go with donations rather than sponsorship of their businesses.

Sounds like a far better fit for the Knights though. Knights being a privately owned club would be wierd for a club that has always prided itself on belonging to the town.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Odd that they choose to go with donations rather than sponsorship of their businesses.

Sounds like a far better fit for the Knights though. Knights being a privately owned club would be wierd for a club that has always prided itself on belonging to the town.

I'd be very surprised if they getting absolutely nothing for their "donation". Maybe they will set up as a charitable status to fund jnr RL and have it as a tax right off or maybe there is some sponsorship/corporate boxes etc thrown in.

aqua_duck

Coach
Bird was a talented kid and we offered a top 25 spot to him at 17. Newcastle thought he should play flegg... He spent much more time as a Shark than a knight. We spent some pretty bad years developing and sticking with him as he matured.
one word, Hagan

Billythekid

First Grade
Sounds ok but $1.5mill a year for 4 years (around a 8-10% revenue increase) isn't going to make a huge amount of difference. Any income is most welcome I'm sure but will it change the clubs long term fortunes? Getting a better stadium deal would also be a priority I hear.

Not knocking it at all and if I was a Knights member I'd probably be happier with this than someone like Tinkler who is showing how he operates.

The knights are already making a profit and that was before the membership increase this year and with the stadium still being built.

An extra 1.5 million a year of straight up profit will make a fairly big difference to the club.

Joker's Wild

Coach
I'd be very surprised if they getting absolutely nothing for their "donation". Maybe they will set up as a charitable status to fund jnr RL and have it as a tax right off or maybe there is some sponsorship/corporate boxes etc thrown in.

From what I understand the donated money would go into areas like local jnr funding, community projects, free events, etc and the money freed up by these donations would be used for player payments, football operations and such.

Silent Knight

First Grade
He also remains adamant the club made a big mistake employing Brian Smith as coach from 2007-09, saying the Knights lost their way during that time and were yet to find it back.

Oh yeah we sure have lost our way Jack. I mean we've ended up so much worse off since that record 72-6 loss to the Broncos in 2007 (when Smith was still forced to work with a Hagan team of "local quality").

We'd be so much better off with Clint Newton, Josh Perry, Adam Woolnough, George Carmont and Reegan Tanner who took their FG positions for granted because our culture was all about looking after the local boys. A bloke like Matt Hilder shows more Novocastrian spirit than these nuffies.

Brian Smith is the only reason the Knights have been competitive since Joey retired. You see, he chose players irrespective of their geographical boundaries. I shudder to think of the consequences if we stuck with Hagan.

I'd have Zeb Taia in my run on team over Clint Newton any day of the week. Of course the local Newcastle beatniks would think otherwise, they're always moaning about how many Polynesians are in the team.

And for the record I'm not against promoting local players to first grade. I just sincerely hope they follow the lead of our GOOD past players, names like Buderus, Johns, Harragon, Butterfield, M. Gidley and Simpson. And we don't go back to the days of "jobs for the boys" (i.e. locality over ability/work ethic).

Billythekid

First Grade
geniused Knights members still think they were getting $100million though, they will be like "$6million, that's nothing!". :roll:

Living in the hunter this is pretty much all i hear from people. Everyone just thinks that the knights management turned down a guaranteed 100 million dollars.