What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tino deal....is it worth it?

Vee

First Grade
Haven't got a link but I think I saw something in the DT that the reason the Titans had to go large and long was that the Storm had offered him similar terms.

APPSY

Juniors
Haven't got a link but I think I saw something in the DT that the reason the Titans had to go large and long was that the Storm had offered him similar terms.
Yeah they did. However, it was supposedly Dessies 'vision' that got it over the line.

Thing is as a Titans die hard, I am ecstatic that players actually want to don the jersey and be proud to be a player there. Tino and Fifita are adored amongst the fans here (albeit second to JC, we go absolutely ballistic for the kid). I'm glad that the clubs balls have finally dropped and are starting to show some real heart in keeping a team together, and are practically keeping the media away from any contract sagas (except the clauses that leaked).

However, I am also nervous. As people have mentioned, we still need that spine. We still need those game controlling halves to guide us. I am okay with Verrills and Randall as our first and second choice hookers (I'd even make a call for Randall to be lock if he puts on a few more kgs). I have faith that Boyd is our potential long term 7. This is the point in the season where its 'f**k it' as we aren't making finals, so he should try add some more flair to his game and find out what is and isn't working. He's only 23, and hasn't started a full season since Keebra. this is his first full season for us starting each game. It'll take some time. Our bigger issue Is finding a 6 that isn't old and injury prone.

jim_57

Staff member
Yeah they did. However, it was supposedly Dessies 'vision' that got it over the line.

Thing is as a Titans die hard, I am ecstatic that players actually want to don the jersey and be proud to be a player there. Tino and Fifita are adored amongst the fans here (albeit second to JC, we go absolutely ballistic for the kid). I'm glad that the clubs balls have finally dropped and are starting to show some real heart in keeping a team together, and are practically keeping the media away from any contract sagas (except the clauses that leaked).

However, I am also nervous. As people have mentioned, we still need that spine. We still need those game controlling halves to guide us. I am okay with Verrills and Randall as our first and second choice hookers (I'd even make a call for Randall to be lock if he puts on a few more kgs). I have faith that Boyd is our potential long term 7. This is the point in the season where its 'f**k it' as we aren't making finals, so he should try add some more flair to his game and find out what is and isn't working. He's only 23, and hasn't started a full season since Keebra. this is his first full season for us starting each game. It'll take some time. Our bigger issue Is finding a 6 that isn't old and injury prone.

Campbell 6 & Brimson 1? Or the other way around.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Tino, well I do think you need at least one world class prop to win the whole thing.

You need a classy hooker, one awesome half and dangerous fullback.

That is where my money would go.

Frailty

First Grade

ROFL. Boyd is an ALDI Luke Brooks.

Reactions: Vee

Someguy

First Grade
He was electric in his first season with them, bludged a bit last year, improved this year (contract). I'd hate to see him regress again.

Tino has always put in though.

Fifita was just put on the wrong side of the field last season. Titans don’t have a balanced attack and he barely got a chance to touch the ball, let alone in a good attacking position

Frailty

First Grade
To get to the point of the thread: Personally, I don't like the deal.

I know I'm in the very small minority, but whilst I think Tino is a great player, I also see a lot of negative aspects to his game that I think actively are hurting the Titans. His discipline, at club level where it doesn't have the same rules as Origin, is awful. There have been multiple times Titans have been defending a lead late, and Tino will be giving away a poor penalty.

SpaceCow

Juniors
Just hope the Titans don't wait 10 years like the Tigers did with Brooks (and they were willing to wait longer!).
Doesn't have the hype at same age, and doubtful he'll command the pay check.. Wont be a super star, but he'll be a real solid player tho I reckon

Would you be interested in Matt Moylan?

Eelectrica

Referee
Tino’s probably got 6, maybe 7 more good years in him. I guess the Titans are hoping to blast open a premiership window.

With Tino sucking up that much of the cap, it’s going to difficult to attract the quality support players needed.
Hope it works out though. I’d like to see a competitive Titans team.

of course I’d like my team back in the mix too, but that ain’t happening again for a few years

Big Pete

Referee
Say they let Tino walk, what then? What other options are out there?

In Fifita and Tino, potentially you have two of the best forwards in the competition to build your pack around and sell players on. The Gold Coast desperately need an identity and in Tino they potentially have that 300 game player that inspires players coming through and can pass on valuable experience.

Also it sends a strong message to the rest of the squad in the wake of Holbrook's sacking. The Gold Coast desperately needed to establish a unified front and while they've had to fork out it should help them in the long run. They have some exciting young talent coming through, if they can develop them into quality first graders and get that production line up and running they could be a quality team well into the 2020s.

Say they let Tino walk, what then? What other options are out there?

In Fifita and Tino, potentially you have two of the best forwards in the competition to build your pack around and sell players on. The Gold Coast desperately need an identity and in Tino they potentially have that 300 game player that inspires players coming through and can pass on valuable experience.

Also it sends a strong message to the rest of the squad in the wake of Holbrook's sacking. The Gold Coast desperately needed to establish a unified front and while they've had to fork out it should help them in the long run. They have some exciting young talent coming through, if they can develop them into quality first graders and get that production line up and running they could be a quality team well into the 2020s.

A 10 year contract is still a risk. If his form falls off a cliff, if it has ratchet clauses, and/or he becomes injury prone. That's the issue it not so much the money, its the length of the deal that most people are questioning. As if any or all of the three concerns I mentioned happened then you would have a lot of money tied up in an underperforming or injury prone player for a long time.

Have a look at the clkubs that have been successful in the last decades. Just about all of them have not given out playing contracts of longer than 5 years, and those usually only to established spine players. By doing that, they retain better salary cap certainty, and can adjust contracts according to form, injury etc.

Big Pete

Referee
A 10 year contract is still a risk. If his form falls off a cliff, if it has ratchet clauses, and/or he becomes injury prone. That's the issue it not so much the money, its the length of the deal that most people are questioning. As if any or all of the three concerns I mentioned happened then you would have a lot of money tied up in an underperforming or injury prone player for a long time.

Have a look at the clkubs that have been successful in the last decades. Just about all of them have not given out playing contracts of longer than 5 years, and those usually only to established spine players. By doing that, they retain better salary cap certainty, and can adjust contracts according to form, injury etc.
That's the challenge for the Gold Coast Titans and if they're going to lock in a player, it'd be Tino. It's not ideal, but they've never had that luxury. At least now they have some certainty and can focus on what lies ahead. I'm sure that's preferable to being left at the altar holding the bag.

If they had movers and shakers like Politis, that would be different but beggars can't be choosers.