What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tino deal....is it worth it?

Wizardman

First Grade

The Titans have locked in superstar forwards David Fifita and Tino Fa’asuamaleaui in a major coup for the club.

Fifita was already signed until the end of 2026 and Fa’asuamaleaui had mutual options for 2025 and 2026. However it was revealed after Justin Holbrook was sacked that the duo had get-out clauses if he wasn’t the coach.

The Titans confirmed on Friday night that Fifita had extended until the end of 2026 while Fa’asuamaleaui will remain on the Gold Coast for the next decade.

News Corp reports the Titans will fork out $15 million for the pair with Fa’asuamaleaui set to earn $12 million over 10 years and Fifita to pocket $3 million over three years.

Fa’asuamaleaui’s deal reportedly contains ratchet clauses relating to the NRL salary cap.

“We’re thrilled that both Tino and David have reaffirmed their commitment to the club,” Titans CEO Steve Mitchell said.

“These are two great young men, talented footballers and important players for us as we work towards our goal of bringing premierships to the Coast.

“Both Tino and David have already made an impact in their time here and as a club, we’re excited to see what they can achieve in our jersey over the coming years.

Wizardman

First Grade
I can cop the DCE deal.....but the Tino deal?.....wow!

Good luck to him but man it is a risky signing for the Gold Coast. If he gets an early injury, he may well whack on the Hawaiian shirt and cruise through some of his time there.

some11

Referee
Its worth it for Tino and David, good for them getting that bag.

Remains to be seen if Hasler can get them towards a top 4 finish. 2009/10 seems like a lifetime ago.

Tweed Titan

Bench
It's bad, the ratchet clause is the killer. The Titans take all the risk and do so for 10 years. Scary.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Kinda nuts tbh, and reeks of desperation from Des and the Tits. That is the sort of money that Haas should be commanding.

Not shitting on Tino, he's clearly a great player, but those numbers are just ridiculous.

Wizardman

First Grade
Kinda nuts tbh, and reeks of desperation from Des and the Tits. That is the sort of money that Haas should be commanding.

Not shitting on Tino, he's clearly a great player, but those numbers are just ridiculous.
That's the thing....I'd imagine Hass would not be thrilled with Tino and Fafita earning more money than him. That may well prompt him and his manager to seek the same sort of deal at the Broncos or some other club.

Vee

First Grade
There was a lot of debate when the Cowboys signed JT13 for $10m for 10 years. He was definitely worth the money till about 12 months ago, now we're seeing only glimpses of that impact as he works back to full fitness.

So I would say No, 5 years a much better option.

Generalzod

Immortal

in the past players at Broncos had a sense of loyalty to the club, yeah they may have been a view that Broncos third party payments where pretty generous, but now it's seems they to have to pay overs for players like Hass to stay at the club.

Wizardman

First Grade
in the past players at Broncos had a sense of loyalty to the club, yeah they may have been a view that Broncos third party payments where pretty generous, but now it's seems they to have to pay overs for players like Hass to stay at the club.
Thing is....and I have to compliment the Broncs on this.....they don't pay overs that often....and that seems to bug Haas.

Canard

Immortal
It is for the Titans.

They need to build an identity and a brand, and big Tino is it.

It's not like they would suddenly attract Cleary, Munster or Latrell.

Someguy

First Grade
You get a medical exemption and cap relief for any career ending injury.

So this is a non issue.

big issue if he has an injury and returns half the player he was. Look at Ryan James solid player in origin mix to not good enough to be a dogs bench player after a knee injury

He's a good player, no doubt. However where a player has been on a deal longer than 5 years (e.g. Tamulolo, DCE) I don't recall any of that player's teams having won a premiership whilst those players have been on such long term contracts.

As such 10 years, and if it has ratchet clauses in it, then for the Titans it may not be that good a deal at all.

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
big issue if he has an injury and returns half the player he was. Look at Ryan James solid player in origin mix to not good enough to be a dogs bench player after a knee injury
Comparing Ryan James to Tino?

Haha f**k me