What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Titanic bid for PNG to coast in - Titans to be sold to PNG Consortium?

Red Bear

Referee
Gold Coast is just a terrible sporting region, a plastic community that jumps off bandwagons quicker than anywhere.

I doubt there is too much to this article, but still.

I cant believe a few choice posters love to bag the Bears efforts in community engagement as much as possible when the Gold Coast are a clear example of what happens when you put a team somewhere and expect it to become loved off the bat, they've struggled to engage with their surrounds from day one.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Gold Coast is just a terrible sporting region, a plastic community that jumps off bandwagons quicker than anywhere.

I cant believe a few choice posters love to bag the Bears efforts in community engagement as much as possible when the Gold Coast are a clear example of what happens when you put a team somewhere and expect it to become loved off the bat, they've struggled to engage with their surrounds from day one.

you know this living in Woolongong lol

docbrown

Coach
Wouldn't surprise me if a few Sydney clubs read the article and immediately started ring the PNG organisers.

Jason Maher

Immortal

Mate, I want the Bears back as much as anyone, but that is a load of bullshit. I grew up on the Tweed, and remember just how much the Seaguls engaged the local community (they didn't). The most notable thing about the Titans is that they have worked hard to promote themselves in their region - and that includes northern NSW down to about Coffs. They have the local kids on board, and that's what really matters.

Jud

Juniors
Time to bring back this guy:

683611.jpg

He'll sort it all out...

Is that Michael Ennis??

Last edited:

coolumsharkie

Referee
I think the ONLY thing in PNG's favour is the fact that they share the same time line as us... Just a bit of boring and slightly relevant tirvia to add to the off season woe's.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I have no issue with the Gold Coast taking 1-2 of their least crowd pulling games to PNG or them selling a portion of their club to anyone. IMO more teams should looking to take games that aren't traditional crowd pullers to other regions eg Darwin, Adelaide, Perth or Wellington.

That said Michael Searle's halo has definitely slipped and the centre of mediocrity better be worth the $$$$$$$. His role in their stadium deal also has to be questioned

El Diablo

Post Whore
I have no issue with the Gold Coast taking 1-2 of their least crowd pulling games to PNG or them selling a portion of their club to anyone. IMO more teams should looking to take games that aren't traditional crowd pullers to other regions eg Darwin, Adelaide, Perth or Wellington.

That said Michael Searle's halo has definitely slipped and the centre of mediocrity better be worth the $$$$$$$. His role in their stadium deal also has to be questioned

it's just as bad for the GC Soccer team and Clive Palmer is no dunce

Labor has gifted the AFL.

let them out of a contract that games be played at the GABBA twice

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news/sport/afl-glitz-hits-the-coast/2008/04/23/1208743028139.html

At the heart of the matter is a deal the AFL has with the Queensland Government, which helped fund the upgrade of the Gabba when the Brisbane Bears relocated from Carrara.

To recoup costs, the deal stipulates any second team in South-East Queensland must play their home fixtures at the ground until 2015. Even second dressing rooms were built in lieu of corporate facilities to accommodate a team other than the Lions.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...yed-at-the-gabba/story-e6frepex-1226188147516

THE will host their first Queensland derby at Metricon Stadium next season with the State Government set to tear up an agreement that matches against the Lions be played at the Gabba for the next five years.

The Suns' home game against Brisbane in round 17, the second scheduled Q-Clash meeting between the two sides in 2012, will now be played at Metricon Stadium on Saturday, July 21, in the new twilight timeslot starting at 4.40pm.

It sets the stage for a mega weekend of footy on the Gold Coast with the NRL also hosting a derby between the Brisbane Broncos and the Titans at Skilled Park that round.

The Courier-Mail has learned the Government intends to announce the new agreement this week, possibly as soon as today.

If the game is a success, it is anticipated the five-year deal will be completely discarded from 2013 onwards and the Suns and Lions will each host one derby every season.

However, it is believed the Suns are likely to agree to a clause that allows their home games to be switched back to the Gabba in the future if the bi-annual fixture grows in popularity to such an extent that Metricon Stadium, which holds only 25,000 people, sells out and fans are turned away.

they gave them naming rights http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2011/03/15/299455_gold-coast-afl.html

What makes it such a windfall for the AFL's newest club is the fact that they have a "clean" stadium, which means they have sole management rights of the venue.

Any income generated, such as signage and food and beverage sales, goes into club coffers.

The Suns can also hire out the venue in summer to cricket or as a concert venue.

Unlike other AFL arenas with naming-rights sponsors, such as Etihad Stadium, Patersons Stadium in Perth and AAMI Stadium in Adelaide, the Suns do not have to share the income.

It gives the Suns a significant advantage over cross-town rivals the Titans, who are not direct beneficiaries of the income from the naming-rights contract at Skilled Park.

they would also not have to pay the levy that the Titans and GC United do

so much so that Palmer does this http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/gold-coast-crowd-cap-ridiculous-says-roar-20091028-hk64.html

Paullyboy

Coach
It sickens me the leg-ups that AFL get.

The only analogy I can think of when thinking about the AFL and their push into non-AFL states is it must be about as satisfying as nailing a chick you gave a roofie to. Knowing the only way they got where they wanted to was with trickery.

VictoryFC

Bench
If its an odd match every year, you could think of shittier ideas.

But personally I hope it shows what a joke a PNG team in the NRL would be. Its great that its a market of 6 million people that love league. Its also dirt poor if you'er looking at viable markets. And its density is ranked 201st in the world. Thats usually a severe warning for pro sports. Low density + poor = shit market, no matter how much they love it.

Best way to commercially tap into PNG is to host a game here and there. And Titans, outside of the Cows, makes the most sense.

Complete relocation is nonsense and wont happen.

Eelectrica

Referee
Bad move for the Titans to take regular season home games to PNG. Also I'll want a refund on future memberships if it's the case.

I've renewed my 2012 Titans membership and expect 12 games. And all the crap on this thread about kicking the Titans out is exactly why I renew and will continue to support the Titans!

Eelectrica

Referee
If its an odd match every year, you could think of shittier ideas.
Canberra is one match that could be relocated I guess. Canberra have never drawn well up here.

I'll still want a discount on the membership if games are relocated though.

Canard

Immortal
Time to bring back this guy:

683611.jpg

He'll sort it all out...

Was there more than one Captain Charger, the one I remember they used to bag off on the Footyshow had an outfit gayer than a bag full of butterflies and it would make Matt Shirvington blush and about as masculine as BunniesMan.

RHCP

Bench
Some people need to read beyond the headline and opening line.

Plenty of clubs take home games to different locations. If the Gold Coast took a game or two to PNG they'd probably make a substantial amount of cash, a lot more than Wests going to Bluetongue or Cantebury going to Adelaide.

The PNG bid team (and this is a quote, not just a journalist filling in the gaps with sensationalism) want to 'prove our ability to host top line matches'. They don't want to take over the Titans. GC get a large pay packet, PNG get to host a game or two. Hardly 'sell-off talks'.

Warrior@Heart

Juniors
It's just some more telecrap bullshit, but PNG are looking at buying into an NRL franchise to give their juniors and/or coaches a path into the NRL.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Cutting your nose to spite your face. It's been just 4 years on the Gold Coast. Crowds are struggling, you're not really bonding with your community very well. So what do you do? Sell part of yourself for the right to partially relocate. Awful awful awful strategic move for the Titans themselves and especially the NRL as a whole.

And who are you to be the judge of that? By all accounts they have strong community involvement.

The Titans and GCU should be lobbying hard together to end this bull from Stadiums Queensland and get themselves a fair costing for occupying the stadium.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.titans.com.au/default.as...id=45172&title=titans-clarify-position-on-png

Titans clarify position on PNG
Adam Gardini
16/11/2011 5:06:45 PM

The Jetstar Gold Coast Titans wish to clarify that whilst there have been discussions about Papua New Guinea becoming aligned to the Titans in a number of different ways, the club has not entered into ‘sell-off talks’ with the PNG consortium and will not be transferring home games to PNG as reported in media outlets today.

Jetstar Titans Managing Director Michael Searle said the club had been approached by the PNG consortium earlier this year to seek advice on various aspects of their push to join the NRL but no formal agreement had been reached.

“The reality is some nine months ago we were approached by a PNG consortium who identified the Titans as a dynamic and successful best-practice model for PNG’s aspirations of eventually entering the NRL,’’ said Searle.

“They felt they could learn from our experience about successful player recruitment, performance and commercial viability whilst continuing to achieve our objectives in the community around Health, Education, Training and Employment

“They have since put forward various proposals on the table for discussion, including talent exchange programmes, social delivery of key messages around education and employment and a potential equity investment but we have not yet determined how best we can assist PNG’s goals in this space.

“One thing is for sure, the Titans are a Gold Coast team, and will always remain that, regardless of whether we agree to any link to PNG.

“We’ll definitely continue to encourage and assist any initiative to involve PNG in the NRL, however, the club’s stakeholders will not be selling any of their equity in the club.”

The Jetstar Titans will make no further comment on the issue.

Latest posts