What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Titans Game Thread

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So he will be the 8th debutant this season??? Even in 2000 with the baby Eels i doubt we blooded this many players.

The 2000 baby Eels didn't have this many quality youngsters ready to step up. Sticky has certainly taken over a club set up for future success.

#'academy'

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
It's ok, several of his team mates have been playing quite Pauli for a couple of years. (this is my entry for the 'worst pun of the year' award).

Good news - Yours is one of 5 puns that have been nominated for 'worst pun of the year'.

Bad news - Parra Pete is responsible for the other 4.

oldmancraigy

Coach
The 2000 baby Eels didn't have this many quality youngsters ready to step up. Sticky has certainly taken over a club set up for future success.

#'academy'

:lol:

(a) we came 2nd on the competition table in 1999, and so weren't left in such crap shape. Plenty of quality youngsters made their debuts over the following seasons, and weren't all "thrown to the lions" in 2000.

(b) more Eels juniors made their debuts in 2000 than have so far this season.
Adam Wheeler (1)
John Wilson (134)
Jamie Lyon (279+)
Jason Cayless (181)
Daniel Irvine (53)
Pat Richards (229+)
PJ Marsh (157)
Chad Robinson (161)
Andrew Ryan (291)
Wade L'Estrange (6)

That's 10 young blokes that debuted that season. 4 of them internationals and another bloke who played Origin.

Don't get me wrong, I hope we're in that kind of shape, but I think making statements that are factually incorrect to help your cause aren't overly helpful!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
:lol:

(a) we came 2nd on the competition table in 1999, and so weren't left in such crap shape. Plenty of quality youngsters made their debuts over the following seasons, and weren't all "thrown to the lions" in 2000.

(b) more Eels juniors made their debuts in 2000 than have so far this season.
Adam Wheeler (1)
John Wilson (134)
Jamie Lyon (279+)
Jason Cayless (181)
Daniel Irvine (53)
Pat Richards (229+)
PJ Marsh (157)
Chad Robinson (161)
Andrew Ryan (291)
Wade L'Estrange (6)

A pretty ordinary bunch, apart from Lyon and Ryan (two blokes who couldn't get away from Brian Smith fast enough, and both went on to captain premiership winning sides).

That's 10 young blokes that debuted that season. 4 of them internationals and another bloke who played Origin.

I only see four genuine rep players. Who is the fifth?

Don't get me wrong, I hope we're in that kind of shape, but I think making statements that are factually incorrect to help your cause aren't overly helpful!

I wasn't the one who said we've had more debutants this year than the 2000 Eels. I was responding to that post (tongue-in-cheek) when I said we have more quality youngsters ready to step up.

The fact is we almost certainly do not have that many quality youngsters ready to step up, for three reasons:

1. The 'academy' in 2000 had been running for three years already. Our current academy has only been in place for two years.

2. In 2000 there was a genuine reserve grade competition through which to prepare kids for first grade.

3. It was easier in 2000 for clubs so inclined to poach the best juniors from all over the country, because most clubs didn't bother recruiting that widely. Nowadays every club is under salary cap pressure and all are becoming aware that junior recruitment and retention is the only way to beat the salary cap.

But we've already had six debutants in 10 games, with potentially another two this weekend. And of those eight, five will have been teenagers.

I doubt Sticky would throw them in too soon, which says our academy is doing a good job of identifying and retaining talent.

oldmancraigy

Coach
I only see four genuine rep players. Who is the fifth?

How can Wikipoudia forget 4 time Ireland international Pat Richards (hey, it's not the most exciting international jersey ever, but when one needs to make a quick argument sound better...)

They might not be the most illustrious bunch ever, but our current crop of debutants have 1400+ first grade games before they can claim to be equals right?

I doubt Sticky would throw them in too soon, which says our academy is doing a good job of identifying and retaining talent.

I don't think he has terribly much choice. If we were trying to be competitive this season, we'd be playing more of our senior guys who know how to play first grade. But since we got left with a mess in that department, it's a chance to blood youngsters and see how they go.

Different scenario to 2000, but hopefully similar results in the season that followed (heck, I'd take a GF loss next season)

Maroubra Eel

Coach
We will make the 8 next year. It's the 5th year of 3P's plan and I expect the goal of making the 8 will be realised and we can all celebrate.

strider

Post Whore
and we will never be out of the 8 forever after .... pretty sure thats how it all went

Latest posts