What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Titans game

V

Vasilevsky

Please point out to me where you can purchase a set of 35 NRL standard jerseys for $245 (@ $7 each). I will become a importer/distributor and get disgustingly rich off the back of insanley inflated prices, considering most Rugby League clubs pay in excess of $2,500 for sub par quality jerseys.

I knew you would be good for something, Vaseline.

I'm not a vendor or trader but if you do a google search for 'Jerseys made by Chinese homies in China' you can get a good indication. The problem is you have to get them made in batches of about 1000 and it can't be an original, direct copy of the Dragons jersey if you want to sell them in Australia or NZ. Probably worldwide actually but no one is going to want to buy them outside of a Aus, NZ and a few small island nations in the south Pacific.

The Nick

Bench
I'm not a vendor or trader but if you do a google search for 'Jerseys made by Chinese homies in China' you can get a good indication. The problem is you have to get them made in batches of about 1000 and it can't be an original, direct copy of the Dragons jersey if you want to sell them in Australia or NZ. Probably worldwide actually but no one is going to want to buy them outside of a Aus, NZ and a few small island nations in the south Pacific.

So what your saying is that the Dragons stockpile 1000 jerseys each season for their first grade side?

Oh wait, do you actually think the player cut jersey is exactly the same as the supporter jersey? That each NRL club does a bulk order, then puts aside 35 for the team and sells the rest?

And if you read my post properly, I wasn't implying that I was going to get Dragons replicas made up, I said I would import and sell original jerseys to the many sporting clubs out there who spend in excess of $2000 for a playing kit.

However, you've made it abundantly clear you have zero experience in ordering team wear for sporting clubs and that the quotes in your original post were simply made up in your head.

Cheers Vaseline.

V

Vasilevsky

So what your saying is that the Dragons stockpile 1000 jerseys each season for their first grade side?

Cheers Vaseline.

No. I think they buy up many more than that. Though not only for the first grade team. The U20s also wear 1-17, don't they? And then jerseys they sell to the general public.

Though your are probably right in one respect (you are one smart homie!). Given they are different sizes and have different numbers on the back, I may have lowballed it a little. It probably costs more like $10 a pop. Still, I think they can afford new ones rather than worrying about wear and tear:sarcasm:.

The Nick

Bench
No. I think they buy up many more than that. Though not only for the first grade team. The U20s also wear 1-17, don't they? And then jerseys they sell to the general public.

Though your are probably right in one respect (you are one smart homie!). Given they are different sizes and have different numbers on the back, I may have lowballed it a little. It probably costs more like $10 a pop. Still, I think they can afford new ones rather than worrying about wear and tear:sarcasm:.

Look you're obviously a bit slow on the uptake. The player cut jerseys and the supporter wear jerseys are completely different. Yes they have the same logos and brands and colours but they're not the same batch. Player cut jerseys are slim fitting and far more rigid (and less comfortable). Supporter wear jerseys are lighter, more comfortable and fit like a t-shirt. For context just imagine your average beer drinking, pie eating supporter trying to squeeze into Mitch Rein's player cut jersey.

Yes there is an U20's team but they wear different badges and sponsorship so no they are not made in the same order as the NRL jerseys.

Before you come back with yet another ill-thought out argument I will explain to you how jerseys are made - The jersey design is done via computer. All NRL jerseys start off completely white, and the design is printed directly onto the jersey (including logos, sponsors etc) they only part that is added after the fact are the numbers.

Now if you can wrap your head around that you will understand that any change to the design (including changing NRL logo to Holden Cup logo) constitutes a whole new design. It is not 1990 where the badges are sewn on and the logos are ironed on.

Now explain to me again how or why a club orders in excess of 1000 player cut jerseys?

V

Vasilevsky

Look you're obviously a bit slow on the uptake. The player cut jerseys and the supporter wear jerseys are completely different. Yes they have the same logos and brands and colours but they're not the same batch. Player cut jerseys are slim fitting and far more rigid (and less comfortable). Supporter wear jerseys are lighter, more comfortable and fit like a t-shirt. For context just imagine your average beer drinking, pie eating supporter trying to squeeze into Mitch Rein's player cut jersey.

Yes there is an U20's team but they wear different badges and sponsorship so no they are not made in the same order as the NRL jerseys.

Before you come back with yet another ill-thought out argument I will explain to you how jerseys are made - The jersey design is done via computer. All NRL jerseys start off completely white, and the design is printed directly onto the jersey (including logos, sponsors etc) they only part that is added after the fact are the numbers.

Now if you can wrap your head around that you will understand that any change to the design (including changing NRL logo to Holden Cup logo) constitutes a whole new design. It is not 1990 where the badges are sewn on and the logos are ironed on.

Now explain to me again how or why a club orders in excess of 1000 player cut jerseys?

Look homie, I don't know the ins and outs of jersey making but I do know that they are made in China and Chinese homies make them cheap. So cheap worrying about wear and tear on the players jerseys isn't a factor in determining which jerseys are used. I presume what they do is make up 1000 or more with the basic design and then as you eluded to, print on any changes that are needed.

V

Vasilevsky

Sums up your entire argument and why it's baseless.

Sorry I didn't know you were a professor of English. 'I'm sure' the Chinese homies make jerseys so cheap that the club doesn't worry about wear and tear on the jerseys. They just use new ones which each cost less than it does for a homie to buy a beer and a pie at the ground on game day.

gitano

Juniors
This about sums it up...

scrum_zpspvnehcxz.gif

boardlumps62

Juniors
Yep that scrum said it all no bloody idea dont know where to play thought Duges was gunna be hooker at one stage. What were titans thinking these guys are what first graders in the 8 what?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
First of all one jersey set will not last an entire season. Wearing the alternative jersey a few games a year helps prevent excessive wear and tear.
OK... Are you really of the belief that there may be shortage of jerseys?

pinkmoon

Juniors
The fact THAT our attack is structured is not the issue. Melbourne play structured. Rooster play structured. Bronco's play structured. It works. The issue is the WAY our attack is structure. Shitty angle, terrible timing, no decoy runners and worst of all, no ACTUAL options for our halves. When Benjo or Gareth get the ball, they really only have the option to run themselves or pass to a single realistic receiver, and it only ever works if the opposition misread the play. They both have the ability to assess a situation on the run and pick a good option, but the problem is that the option isnt there because those off-the-ball runners are all over the f**king place.

Roosters are probably the best example - on their regular attacking play, Maloney will get the ball 2 passes wide, he will have 2 front runners to choose from (usually a lock and second rower), a fullback sweeping around or the option for a long cut out to the centre, and usually the timing of all players are good enough that he just needs to pick the right one based on the defence. It's not always executed perfectly and he doesn't always choose the best option, but its a hell of a lot better than the crap we are dishing up!

it depends how you interpret "too structured". You are correct in the sense that Melbourne, Roosters and co. play structured, but the idea of "options" means that the team can play what's in front of them, which is less rigid than the Dragons structure (which is predetermined)...that's the point I was trying to make. We run a play and it's only ever going to happen one way...the Storm set up with multiple options depending on what the defence do.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Structured? Widdop and Marshal do a fair bit of sideways running looking for a player to hit a hole. How is that structured? The way I see it Widdop and Marshall get the ball and try and make something happen when there is no players running through to create some sort of decoy.

BennyV

Referee
Structured? Widdop and Marshal do a fair bit of sideways running looking for a player to hit a hole. How is that structured? The way I see it Widdop and Marshall get the ball and try and make something happen when there is no players running through to create some sort of decoy.

The reason they do this is that the attacking plan (couple of forward hit ups, easily read backline play, kick) doesnt work. Teams are onto it and there's no variation, timing or cohesion. Therefore the playmakers have to try to find holes in the defence, but the other players on the park don't know where Widdop/Marshall want them to run (since its all off-the-cuff crap) and we dont get anywhere.

This horrible looking attack is on the coaches, noone else.

It is clear that whoever is in charge of creating a game plan for our attack is hopeless.

Whether it is Millward or Mary or a combination of other people is of no consequence.

Ultimately the responsibility is Mary's.

Our squad is made up of decent players.

Widdop and Marshall run around like chooks without heads hoping to find a gap.

We have one standard backline move when moving the ball wide.

Its the lack of bodies in motion when we have the ball which makes us so predictable and easy to pick off.

Lets hope the Club changes the coaching mix for next year otherwise irrespective of who Mulholland buys, we will not improve in attack.

blacksafake

First Grade
The reason they do this is that the attacking plan (couple of forward hit ups, easily read backline play, kick) doesnt work. Teams are onto it and there's no variation, timing or cohesion. Therefore the playmakers have to try to find holes in the defence, but the other players on the park don't know where Widdop/Marshall want them to run (since its all off-the-cuff crap) and we dont get anywhere.

This horrible looking attack is on the coaches, noone else.
This.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Apart from the Bronco's game they have scored 26,19,36 & 46 pts. 127 pts in 4 games. Not bad for a team that cannot attack.

Defense is the bigger issue. The tries they concede are soft. Out wide or just dive over from dummy half. Their defense won them games now it is losing them games.

Dorsai

Juniors
First of all one jersey set will not last an entire season. Wearing the alternative jersey a few games a year helps prevent excessive wear and tear.

Second of all, yes alternative jerseys are a proven revenue raiser, hence why EVERY single NRL team utilises them. Most teams more so than us (I don't even know what the main Warriors strip or official team colours are). Should our financially struggling club not wear a predominately red jersey a few games a year just because you can't handle the colour?

Third and final, does the jersey effect our team's performance?

Ok, in response;

Firstly, Jersey wear and tear is a valid point. Having, or being made to have, an alternate strip will create wear and tear on those jerseys as well. Money is spent to ensure we do not run out of the red V and again money spent to ensure we do not run out of the alternate strip. Whilst the wear and tear will not be equal because we do not have to wear that alternate rubbish all the time funds will be expended which I assume, rightly or wrongly would exceed catering to one strip only.

Secondly. Money earner full stop. I do believe however the vast majority of supporters have the Red V, it would be interesting if they actually went and bought the alternate. I wouldn't, but that's my choice. If our financially struggling club is getting by on a small number of alternate jerseys to survive, then I am sorry, we are screwed. I would think they would get more revenue from having the novelty or commemorative jersey. I have the recent commemorative one and tried desperately to get the nines jersey, because they incorporated predominately the Red V (not in the nines but it had the big Dragon which was well designed), kept our heritage and identity and were easily recognisable as Dragons jerseys. The red jumper has no soul or appeal. Have a look at the sales of these commemorative, heritage and novelty jerseys. They are well sold.

Thirdly, Does it affect performance? That is the $20 dollar question. Stats, if someone has them, would probably say no. But as a supporter I want to see my team go round in their traditional and known jersey. I may be a bit old fashioned but I respect the Red V and the past it represents. The alternate strip holds and does nothing for me and my interest in the games they play in them, to be honest, I think is a little less intense. Do I think it affects performance? I think it does.I have no quantitative data for that opinion other than gut.

Lastly, (I know you stopped there), my point on the jersey is that it is something we could really have done without. Its about money not footy. Its about those in high places gouging the already suffering footy fan for more dollars. Its about Americanising the game. Its not something we really need. I know its a forced thing but really, its shite. I am sure others do not like it either.

This was a throw away comment originally because I do not agree with the alternate strip.