What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Titans game

Wittenberg

Juniors
A little tired of the conspiracy theories. Why would anyone bother given how we played? There is no need for a conspiracy to see us self-destruct. Yes some bad calls, but also mistake riddled and seemingly unfocused play, especially in the second half. Aiken was ordinary, his centre partner at least made ground, while it is obvious we now have two wingers who are liabilities. Sigh

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Blaming the refs simply doesn't wash.

It's simple, we should have won by 20... at least.

The Nick

Bench
Comfortably leading 20-12 at half time - the game was ours to lose. We were dreadful in the 2nd half. If you're seriously blaming the refs for that loss I'm not sure what game you were watching.

In fact I thought the footy gods did everything they could to get us over the line today, but in the end the better team was able to win.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Speed, speed and more speed. Meade, James, even Tighe, any one of them will do. They have 3-5 genuine speedsters. Who is our quickest? Widdop, a guy who virtually needed a hip replacement a few years back.

fribberjabbit

Juniors
I was confident we'd run away with it after the first half.

The second half was dire.

When Taylor was at dummy half I was shouting at the tv for us to watch the fat lazy prick. So then the ball is just sitting there and the same fat lazy prick picked it up and pulled our pants down.

FlameThrower

Bench
As has been stated, we lack size, but this year the forwards have played above their weight! Our 2 key areas we need to fix are speed and attack. You can't coach 'speed' but attack can be coached. This needs to be looked at in off season. Also I hope Nighty is carrying an injury, because right now he is struggling.

giboz71

First Grade
We've heard all year we need forwards to lay the platform. Well yesterday was a shining example. Our forwards have held their own all year against bigger and better credentialed packs. They have done all that can be asked.

If our spine couldn't win that game with the amount of forward dominance we had, then we seriously need changes. We were making 60-70m a set, and we're camped in their 20 for long periods. But as usual, our much vaunted spine failed to deliver. Imagine what a side like the roosters could have done with that amount of forward dominance. Really felt for our forwards last night, they deserved better.

It's just not good enough. Watching our team inside the 20 is like getting teeth pulled . Just downright painful. 13 blokes all making it up as they go. Whatever shape and structure we may have had at the beginning of the year has gone out the window. Our standard go to play is Merrin or Dugan trying to bash over the line against 5 defenders.

Seriously, is that all we have?

giboz71

First Grade
Titans had half their squad out including their only 2 internationals. They were down to 1 interchange player on their bench. They had a rookie half and a 5/8 that can be barely considered a first grader. Titans have been in and around the spoon all year.

We were at full strength, trying to secure a spot in the semis for the 1st time in 4 years. We had 10 days to prepare. Absolutely no excuse to lose that game.

Unless Mary is foxing before the semis, we are in deep trouble.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Pedestrian attitude.. Perfect summation
I would even throw in terms such as intensity, desperation, enthusiasm, passion, heart, aggression as other terms lacking from the teams vocabulary .......

Mate watched the Roosters demolish Manly on the weekend....even though they were 30 odd in front with less than 10 to go they still tore into their workload, especially the forwards and their wingers that ran with passion / desperation etc...there was nothing pedestrian about every aspect of their game....our blokes should all sit down and watch the replay.....then go home with a copy of our Never Before Never Again book.....then some of them might know where their heart is.

Mr Red

First Grade
Speed, speed and more speed. Meade, James, even Tighe, any one of them will do. They have 3-5 genuine speedsters. Who is our quickest? Widdop, a guy who virtually needed a hip replacement a few years back.

add Zilman and Gordon to that list who didnt even play yesterday.

Mr Red

First Grade
Serious question. Was Paasi covered with funnelwebs?

yes.
and cobra's.
and wasps.
and he had Ebola.

who would have thunk it.... lining up your big guys with a head of steam against smaller defenders might cause some trouble eh??
Mary take note of the basics....

Wittenberg

Juniors
A comment was made that hopefully Nightingale was carrying an injury because that might explain his poor form. I agree with the sentiment, but if he is not fully fit he should not be playing.

pinkmoon

Juniors
Two things to come out of yesterdays game.

1. I though Joey made a great point about our attack. He said all our energy goes into our set plays and the players forget about playing what's in front of them; we are too structured. It's all about getting to certain points on the field to set up for the big shift, but it's predictable.

2. The Titans were ripe for the picking. You could see the lack of desire in their defence (they had nothing to play for) and the Cooper/Marshall tries showed that. They had nothing to lose and threw the ball around in an attempt to win the game, whilst we simply played not to lose.

We don't deserve to play finals football.

matPORTS

Juniors
Yesterdays performance says to me that this team simply isn't hungry enough to play finals footy, which after the last three seasons in the doldrums is very disappointing.

Only hope is that we now put everything behind us and come out with an attitude of ‘it’s the finals starting a week early’. None of those teams on the 22/20 point log jam down the bottom want the spoon. The Tigers will be up for it this weekend and have plenty of additional motivation too. This game has similar significance to the 2005 and 2010 Preliminary Finals IMO.

I’m sure if Manly gets a sniff they will come out firing and at least go close. Sharks didn’t play that well against Parramatta on the weekend. If the Tigers were to win and win well, the 61 point swing is still very much achievable.

Mary needs to watch Haslers' press conference as part of his video review session this week and act on it. If the club can’t afford to pay his fine, send a donation bucket around the grandstand on the weekend. I’m sure there will be money left over once the fine is paid!

Smurf

Juniors
I heard Dylan Farrell has not scored a try this year.
He would have to be the only winger in the dragons history not to score a try in a season ?
Unless , he scores against the Tigers !!!
This really does show , we really do need a fast , stronger winger .

fribberjabbit

Juniors
Titans had half their squad out including their only 2 internationals. They were down to 1 interchange player on their bench. They had a rookie half and a 5/8 that can be barely considered a first grader. Titans have been in and around the spoon all year.

We were at full strength, trying to secure a spot in the semis for the 1st time in 4 years. We had 10 days to prepare. Absolutely no excuse to lose that game.

Unless Mary is foxing before the semis, we are in deep trouble.

I'm nodding my head and sobbing.

BennyV

Referee
Two things to come out of yesterdays game.

1. I though Joey made a great point about our attack. He said all our energy goes into our set plays and the players forget about playing what's in front of them; we are too structured. It's all about getting to certain points on the field to set up for the big shift, but it's predictable.

2. The Titans were ripe for the picking. You could see the lack of desire in their defence (they had nothing to play for) and the Cooper/Marshall tries showed that. They had nothing to lose and threw the ball around in an attempt to win the game, whilst we simply played not to lose.

We don't deserve to play finals football.

Thats 3 things...