What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

$$$ Titans up for sale $$$

adamkungl

Immortal
I reckon we could put together a LU consortium. If everyone who posts here chips in tree fiddy, I reckon we could put together a competitive bid. And just imagine how the collective wisdom of this place could revolutionise the running of an NRL club.

:lol: Dear god.

I just don't understand why the NRL, and AFL for that matter, think the Gold Coast is a city. It's not. It's a collection of (mostly) undesirable people with questionable morals who are spread over a ridiculously long and poorly planned patch of turf.

Give up on them. Move them to Perth.

:lol: Quality

I say sell it to Marwan Koukash.
The man loves Rugby League and has the cash to to back the Titans.

He's a f**kwit.

Last Week

Bench
I just don't understand why the NRL, and AFL for that matter, think the Gold Coast is a city. It's not. It's a collection of (mostly) undesirable people with questionable morals who are spread over a ridiculously long and poorly planned patch of turf.

That actually sounds like an AFL match.

_Johnsy

Referee

Ummm I think you're talking about Caboolture

ek999

First Grade
I reckon we could put together a LU consortium. If everyone who posts here chips in tree fiddy, I reckon we could put together a competitive bid. And just imagine how the collective wisdom of this place could revolutionise the running of an NRL club.

I like it. We could employ that --Storm-- merkin to write all media releases

OVP

Coach

You can't fool me goddamn loch ness monster

Indelible

Juniors

Go back and do some research - 6th largest city in Australia full of some of the most friendly and amazing people I have met in my lifetime. Time to stop watching A Current Affair and get some perspective

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Go back and do some research - 6th largest city in Australia full of some of the most friendly and amazing people I have met in my lifetime. Time to stop watching A Current Affair and get some perspective

agree.. doing research always helps..

i think young mr paullyboy could check places like the ABS for population data..

but in order for him to conduct his research on the friendly and amazing people you have met in your lifetime, are you able to provide for him with their names and phone numbers?

and for a truly rounded approach to research, if possible the names and numbers of people from towns other than the gold coast who you have met who you would consider less friendly or amazing than said gold coastians?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
All of this i wrote back when the Knights were looking at private ownership a few weeks ago, but my feelings towards this are identical...

We have already seen the turmoil one all-powerful owner can create, why do we want to go back to that model?? The "value" of a private owner isnt really to put their own cash into the club, it is to bring the business expertise that would entice Sponsors and bring fans; expertise we can have in independent board seats held by community reps and business people.

We (the knights) brought in Tinks so we could remove the 80s busness model of the Boiz Clubbb board and the chook raffle accounting, but they are not the only 2 options.

I dont think clubs NEED to be privately owned. The club could be structured as a Not-For-Profit corporate entity (all of the cash being reinvested into the club and the members being the "stakeholders"). If they want the cash injection of private ownership, they could sell seats on the board (eg. $1million for 4 years in control of 1 seat) while the ARLC ensures the stability of the club and has the capacity to place independent directors to X number of seats.

The point im trying to make is that the potential instability of this autocratic owner should discourage the ARLC more then anyone. Why sell when you might be buying it back and rebuilding AGAIN in 5 years? Why not build a stable structure than allows a flow of local business people without blowing the place up and rebuilding with every retirement/bankruptcy

(Its basically a debate between a Dictatorship vs a Republic. Dictatorships base themselves entirely around one person, so when they are gone the system collapses and needs to be rebuilt, usually accompanied by civil wars and factional infighting. Republics, on the other hand, create the system knowing there will inevitably be turn-over of the people in charge)

Indelible

Juniors
agree.. doing research always helps..

i think young mr paullyboy could check places like the ABS for population data..

but in order for him to conduct his research on the friendly and amazing people you have met in your lifetime, are you able to provide for him with their names and phone numbers?

and for a truly rounded approach to research, if possible the names and numbers of people from towns other than the gold coast who you have met who you would consider less friendly or amazing than said gold coastians?

I guess so .... If you think it's the correct thing to do.

kdalymc

Bench
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...s/news-story/6d0bd7d3d231048a89ceca5f6833b69b

THE Gold Coast Titans ownership is like the Snapper Rocks surfbreak, only locals are invited.

Todd Greenberg told*The Courier-Mail*the NRL wanted to sell the club to Gold Coast-based businessmen as a sale of the Titans in the next 12 months.

The NRL has owned the club for more than a year now and major improvements to its governance have occurred.

Titans fans could see their club in the hands of independent owners.

However, for the club to truly thrive it needs to be independent and the NRL wants a community owned model.

The Titans have been competitive this season in most games but are now well outside the top eight and their finals ambitions could be killed in the next month.

Greenberg said ownership discussions were happening right now but the NRL would rather not have out of towners.

Must Read

Bromwich ?baffled? by Semi?s Origin ineligibility

Morgo should be JT?s Test successor

Boyd ready to rise for Alex again

Tradition, not money driving league minnows

Eels make Watmough retirement submission to NRL

That rules out the likes of central Queensland construction magnate Geoff Murphy who had put his hand up to buy into the club.

?Clearly, local people owning, supporting and engaging with that club is incredibly important,? Greenberg said.

?A community based asset is clearly the model but we have to let that unfold.

?We are not forcing our hand with this. We want to be very judicious. We will give it the time and energy it needs. They have made massive improvement.

?People like Rebecca Frizelle and her board and Graham Annesley are doing a great job at looking at the long term play for the Titans, which has always been in our interest.

?There are discussions but they are being done through Rebecca.?

"" style="box-sizing: inherit; border: 0px; vertical-align: bottom;">

The NRL own or part own three other NRL clubs, Newcastle, Wests Tigers and St George Illawarra. A sale of Newcastle and St George Illawarra appears likely this season but the Titans will have to wait with a buy out likely next season.

?No, not this particular year,? Greenberg said.

?The community owning their team is the right result and I?m happy if it takes a little bit longer to get that result.?

NRL boss Todd Greenberg wants the club to have greater community links.

Freedom from NRL ownership could help the club recruit and retain players.

The Titans have to deal with heavy restrictions and paperwork required for them to even engage a prospective player. Often by the time they have filed the required paperwork, that player has been snapped up by a rival club.

Greenberg also reaffirmed the NRL was genuinely interested in hosting a grand final at Suncorp Stadium.

?When you are rebuilding an asset worth hundreds of millions of dollars it takes years,? Greenberg said.

?While we do that we aren?t keen to play in a construction zone.

?Given the NSW Government have just spent $1.6 billion there is a strong relationship there and we will have the first discussions with them. In short, we will be looking at all options and Queensland is one of those options.?

Comments5

English Premier League: Foxtel nabs broadcast deals with clubs including Chelsea and Man UnitedSport

Broncos forward Corey Parker reveals why he rejected Bulldogs as a teenagerSport

Beau Abela got a payout after suing Victoria for not teaching him to read and write ? but still turned to crimeNews

Warriors guard Leandro Barbosa claims Brazilian horse medicine keeps him healthySport

10 child stars you never knew had tragically died before 30Kidspot Lifestyle

42 celeb Instagrams that nearly got bannedBuro 24/7 Fashion

How long should you keep your running shoes?The Athlete's Foot on Executive Style

Guide to cricket lingoYES! Online Magazine

Recommended by

Top Free Apps

Yahtzee

DOWNLOAD

FREE

Juice Jam

DOWNLOAD

FREE

Sugar Smash

DOWNLOAD

FREE

Words With Friends

DOWNLOAD

FREE

Promoted by*Kixer

Most popular Titans stories

Why Parker rejected Bulldogs as a teenager

Titans for sale, local owner preferred

Incident that ?really pushed Foran to the edge?

Rep insult as 61 players go down

NRL

Warriors

26-10

Full TimeMATCH STATS

Dragons

Titans

0-38

Full TimeMATCH STATS

Storm

Sharks

30-28

Full TimeMATCH STATS

Broncos

Is this the worst copy paste job in the history of the world

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Happy to have given you the opportunity to deal with greatness. All I ask is that you pay it forward.

alien

Referee
West coast Titans
English Coast Titans
Gold Coast Bears
North Coast Bears
London Titans
Brisbane Titans
SQLD Titans
Western Corridor Titans
The possibilities are endless

Trump's Titans

donald-trump-thanos.jpg

Last edited:

super_coach

First Grade
You can sometimes find a person silly enough to invest a truck load of cash into a nrl club with very little chance of making a profit, but to find a group of people and especially in a market place where teams have failed for decades is a massive ask.

THE CHAMP

First Grade

Hate to burst your bubble mate.
But it's a shithole.

THE CHAMP

First Grade

By tree fiddy you mean $3.50 right?
Pretty accurate valuation really.

Latest posts