What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Titans v Manly spoiler

The BigFella

Juniors
Here is a snippet from todays paper and an interview with Finch - and he clearly states - We're talking about one mistake in the game: how many mistakes did Manly make? How many?" he fumed." "One bad call by a referee is invariably described as having "turned" the game"
So Locky are we clear now what Finch thinks about the call?
As a side not, in the bigger picture the eagles should have had that game locked up earlier, and I agree with Finch that hte referee wasn't the only factor in the loss.
The issue for me here is people like Lockyrulz calling people fwits and morons for simply having an opinion that differs from his, and I stated that Finch while backing his ref, as he should, would not back the call as he also believed it to be a bad call.

Quote from SMH article below:

who sacked video ref Steve Clark for his last-minute blunder which sank the Bulldogs against St George the previous round, stood up for Cecchin yesterday, and said he would not be dropped. "We're talking about one mistake in the game: how many mistakes did Manly make? How many?" he fumed.
One bad call by a referee is invariably described as having "turned" the game but Finch is indignant that player errors - such as a butchered try from Manly winger Tony Williams, which have just as much influence on the outcome - are never discussed. "I saw one of his junior players drop the ball over the line. Did he have an impact on the result of the game? That's the question I want to ask," Finch said.
"I saw players drop balls, I saw players miss tackles. Does that relate also to professionalism? If you make a mistake, does it reflect on how professional you are? But if it's measured specifically on mistakes, then I would suggest he [Hasler] needs to evaluate professionalism himself."
Finch believes the attacks on the credibility of officials by coaches and senior players have left them more exposed to physical attack. "There's no doubt that [the attacks] drive emotions in people, there's no doubt," he said. The 19 refs, with a starting salary of $70,000 a year, were shocked by the assault. "It does shake them up. It's hard enough as it is and we've got security guards now for video referees. Fair dinkum, where are we going as a society? To allow a person to come on to the park and do what he did, it knocks people about," he said.
Finch denied Cecchin, who has officiated in more than 30 first-grade games, was a junior referee. "He's been a referee at NRL level for two years, he's been an assistant for many years, he's been on the line for State of Origin and grand finals. How experienced do you want him to be?"
While Cecchin had been pilloried, Finch labelled it "an incredibly tough call to make".
"Whichever way he went, someone was going to criticise the outcome - most predictably whichever side lost the game," he said. "This is not a situation where I can say the referee was categorically right or wrong. There's no doubt, however, that he interpreted the events on the basis of having done everything correctly."
Cadet referee Henry Perenara, who played first grade at five clubs, has spent 18 months behind the whistle, and stuck up for his colleagues yesterday.
"They [the clubs] are all very, very professional but I think the referees are more professional," he said, citing the need to do more work individually to recover and prepare for games. "A lot of it isn't physical but we're looking at footage over and over again, trying to make ourselves better.
"If you have a great game for 78 minutes and you make one small mistake, that could potentially blow your game. It's a very harsh thing."
With AAP

Ads by Google

New 2009 Nissan Murano

The all new 2009 Nissan Murano Shift the way you move, forever.
www.nissan.com.au/murano

AUSTAR

Live Sports, Movies & So Much More Over 70 Channels of Entertainment
www.Austar.com.au

Award Winning Renault

Stylish, Safe & Fuel Efficient. Test Drive A Renault Car Today!
www.renault.com.au/officialsite

SPONSORED LINKS

1243103477927-smh.com.auhttp://www.smh.com.au/news/lhqnews/criticism-puts-refs-in-danger-says-finch/2009/05/25/1243103477927.htmlsmh.com.auAAP2009-05-26Criticism puts refs in danger, says FinchAndrew StevensonLHQNewshttp://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2009/05/25/th_matt_cecchin_index-lgthumb__90x60.jpg9060http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2009/05/25/th_matt_cecchin_mobile__240x160.jpg9060http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2009/05/25/matt_cecchin_wideweb__470x382,0.jpgMatt Orford of the Sea Eagles remonstrates with referee Matt Cecchin.470382Getty Images
Page 1 of 2 | Single page
Today's most viewed articles

1. Captain Kurt comes out fighting
  2. Tonga to hammer NSW in rep return
  3. Criticism puts refs in danger, says Finch
  4. Deep North saviour for the Sharks
  5. Knights feeling Blue, in more ways than one
More most viewed articles

Advertisement

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
One problem: it wasn't a refereeing mistake. Orford had eyes for the player and grabbed the ball as an afterthought. It was a good decision.

Hasler should be fined $50K for bringing the game into disrepute. maybe this will teach these Manly scum to stop whining when they've had the refs on their side since the 70's.

abrichta

Juniors
Preston Campbell says nothing wrong with Matt Orford tackle By Stuart Honeysett
May 26, 2009
Gold Coast Titans fullback Preston Campbell has admitted Manly captain Matt Orford did not take him out, but that still didn't stop the NRL from defending embattled referee Matt Cecchin over his controversial decision which decided Sunday's game between the two clubs.

The Sea Eagles were left furious when Cecchin, in the 78th minute, blew a tough penalty against Orford for interfering with Campbell as he attempted to chase down a grubber kick.

Campbell fell over Orford, who had dived on the loose ball, and the Gold Coast captain, Scott Prince, landed the subsequent penalty goal to hand the Titans a controversial 18-17 win.

A furious Orford told Cecchin he would be in reserve grade next week, while Manly coach Des Hasler said it was disappointing that a game had been decided by a junior referee who made a dreadful decision under pressure.

The premier's mood would not have been appeased Monday, after Campbell said he thought Orford was simply making a play for the ball and was unsure why Cecchin had blown the whistle.

"In the rules it states that you can make a play at the ball with your shoulders and I thought that's what he hit me with at the time," Campbell said.
"My initial thought was when I got up or when I heard the whistle blow that he'd knocked it on. I automatically jumped up and said take the scrum."

While acknowledging the Titans had been on their fair share of tough calls this season, Campbell conceded the players felt it was a hollow victory.
"When we were doing the lap, there was a few of us who were saying we were really lucky to get away with that," Campbell said.

"We did say in the dressing sheds afterwards ... you did feel a little bit hollow and you do feel for the Manly players."

Titans coach John Cartwright also conceded the call had been hard but said there had been other tough decisions that went against his team during the game.

"If it happened earlier in the game it would have got penalised and nothing would have been said," Cartwright said.

"It was a crucial time. If you look at it closely Matty Orford didn't hold his line. He did check Preston Campbell going for the ball. It was a 50/50 call and he made his call. We're focusing a lot of energy on one decision."
NRL referees coach Robert Finch spoke to Hasler Monday and said Cecchin's decision had polarised the room at the weekly debriefing yesterday.

It is believed Cecchin will not be selected for next weekend, as he is part of the team of officials that includes likely State of Origin referee Tony Archer. If Archer's appointment is endorsed by New South Wales and Queensland then he - and his team - will be rested from this weekend's rounds.

"The decision he made Sunday was an incredibly tough call to make and, whichever way he went, someone was going to criticise the outcome," Finch said in a statement.

"There was only one guy out there who had the job of deciding whether Orford tried to take Campbell out in attempting to get to the ball.
"This is not a situation where I can say the referee was categorically right or wrong - there's no doubt, however, he interpreted the events on the basis of having done everything correctly."

Hasler has been an outspoken critic of the dual referee system introduced into the NRL this season, but Campbell said he believed it was working.
"I don't notice the refs all that much," Campbell said.
"The only time you notice them is when the whistle's blown. I think it's been a good thing."

Finch defended several other controversial calls including:
A decision to sin bin Wests Tigers halfback Benji Marshall against Brisbane on Friday night;

A decision to restart play at a scrum in the South Sydney-Parramatta game which prevented the Rabbitohs from attempting a field goal.

Scaven

Juniors
One problem: it wasn't a refereeing mistake. Orford had eyes for the player and grabbed the ball as an afterthought. It was a good decision.

Hasler should be fined $50K for bringing the game into disrepute. maybe this will teach these Manly scum to stop whining when they've had the refs on their side since the 70's.

You really are a moron aren't you.
Got nothing better to do except troll a forum with your anti-manly diatribe.
I guess thats what happens when cousins marry.

lockyrulz

Juniors
So Locky are we clear now what Finch thinks about the call?

Well I am. clearly you are not. He clearly stated that in his opinion it was a 50/50 call that he could not call right or wrong, and that the ref went through the correct processes to make his call.

At no stage in this article does he contradict this, nowehere. If you weren't such a moron you could have worked this out for yourself. All he is discussing here is 'bad calls' in general. He does not state it is a bad call anywhere except in your imaginations.

Cleared up for ya?

eagles4eva

First Grade
Ronny, you should change now, you must be soaked with all your verbal diarrhoea, and you’re such a small minded fool.

Latest posts