What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Titans v Manly spoiler

The BigFella

Juniors
If you read the article from Finch the underlying tune is that Checcin made the wrong call, but in the heat of the moment he backed himself. He is backing Checcin as a referee not a junior. (He has been around since 2001 blah blah!)

lockyrulz

Juniors
If you read the article from Finch the underlying tune is that Checcin made the wrong call, but in the heat of the moment he backed himself. He is backing Checcin as a referee not a junior. (He has been around since 2001 blah blah!)

What crap.

All he states is that it was a 50/50 call that could have gone either way, and that he commends his charge for having the balls to make the call knowing full well he would be heaped on by ignorant wankers for doing his job.

sgringhuis

Juniors
Do you think it would be better with 1 ref?
I dont we were talking about the same thing this time last year,
we need more training for the the ref's, things wont change if we reduce it back to 1.

Daddycool

Juniors
What crap.

All he states is that it was a 50/50 call that could have gone either way, and that he commends his charge for having the balls to make the call knowing full well he would be heaped on by ignorant wankers for doing his job.
Well, far be it for anyone to challenge you learned opinion........but for your information, Bill Harrigan was on 2SM tonight and said in his and around 80% of the other referees opinions....it was a harsh call.
He said they slowed it right down, frame by frame (presumably in an attempt to justify the call) and found that when Orford made contact with Campbell, his hands were over the ball. Therefore they determined it was a fair challenge. He did however concede that the way Campbell fell, they could see why Checcin called it how he did.

The fact remains though, in the opinion of the majority of Checcin's peers......he got it wrong.

Last edited:

lockyrulz

Juniors
Well, far be it for anyone to challenge you learned opinion........but for your information, Bill Harrigan was on 2SM tonight and said in his and around 80% of the other referees opinions....it was a harsh call.
He said they slowed it right down, frame by frame (presumably in an attempt to justify the call) and found that when Orford made contact with Campbell, his hands were over the ball. Therefore they determined it was a fair challenge. He did however concede that the way Campbell fell, they could see why Checcin called it how he did.

The fact remains though, in the opinion of the majority of Checcin's peers......he got it wrong.

Which has what to do with Finch's statement?

Idiot.

The BigFella

Juniors
So preston Campbell, his captain, his coach, 80 percent of current referee's, The games Known best referee (harrigan who hates manly), most of the media and even Finch himself wont say it is the right call - but Locky has the nerve to call us morons because we agree that it was the wrong call. Orfords hand was clearly on the ball when he made contact.
Get over yourself !!!!

lockyrulz

Juniors
What Finch said, was that it could have gone either way, and whatever way it went some f**kwit like you would bitch your prissy litle ring off about it.

Oh how right he was.

The BigFella

Juniors
mate you dont even know who i am, abusing me in that way, but let me say this hero, how about we get together and see where your big mouth gets you.

lockyrulz

Juniors
Couldn't agree with him more.

Bill Harrigan goes into bat for referees in the face harsh criticism

By Ian McCullough
May 25, 2009
Former NRL and State of Origin referee Bill Harrigan has accused coaches of having double standards and says officials are on a hiding to nothing.
Harrigan, who now works as a video referee in addition to being assistant to NRL referees coach Robert Finch, said the criticism aimed at Matt Cecchin after his decision to award Gold Coast a last-minute penalty against Manly was unfair.

“I cannot see why they are having a whinge about inexperienced referees. In that game you had a Manly rookie player (Tony Williams) dropping the ball over the line instead of scoring the try and nothing is said,'' Harrigan said.

“Then you get a referee blowing for a player being taken out, which we in our camp felt was a close decision, and then you get Manly jumping up and down saying he was the junior referee and he has made a bad blue.

“These things happen, you can't blame the rookie player (for losing the game), you have to give him some leeway ... and it is the same with the referee. One who has reffed between one and 10 games is going to ref differently to one who has reffed 150.''

Harrigan also said the men in the middle are “damned if they do, damned if they don't'' when it comes to using the video referee to make decisions.

“The referees have been on a hiding to nothing when it comes to a referral ... if they don't and it's a wrong decision they get smashed, and when they do, they get criticised for going upstairs too much,'' he said.

“An example of that was a round one game in Brisbane when there was little knock-on in dummy half, the referees backed themselves but got it wrong ... so then they (the coaches) jump up and down for not using the video referee.

“When they do use the video ref, people say they are sick and tired of them using it all the time ... they are in a no-win situation.''

Harrigan also said he fears the current scrutiny on referees is seeing many turn their backs on officiating at lower grade levels.

“I don't think the respect for referees is there as much as it was back in the past but that is a society thing,'' he said.

“There is a shortage of referees coming into the game and there are some ... where they don't have enough referees to man their games each weekend.

“And that is happening because of the verbal and physical criticism that is happening to those blokes in park football.

“If they are not attracted to it then it is reducing the numbers coming through and that will impact at the top end in years to come.''
AAP

Daddycool

Juniors
Just watched it again and I am actually astounded people here are even disputing it, Orford blatantly slides his legs into Preston His legs actually move away from the ball ffs...
You're very sure of yourself here.......

Now though,

1. Finch has come out and said it was "an incredibly tough call and he can't categorically say it was right or wrong".
2. Bill Harrigan says....He along with about 80% of the other referees who reviewed it, agreed it was a harsh call.
3. Preston Campbell thought Orford was just going for the ball and when he heard the whistle, thought it was for a knock-on. Not a penalty.

Not alot of support there!

After the way you've been carrying on...........it must make you feel like a complete..... how should I put this... Idiot!!

lockyrulz

Juniors
You're very sure of yourself here.......

And with good reason.

1. Finch has come out and said it was "an incredibly tough call and he can't categorically say it was right or wrong".

In other words a 50/50 call. Like I said.

2. Bill Harrigan says....He along with about 80% of the other referees who reviewed it, agreed it was a harsh call.

Care? Never commented on that did I? He also said that it was a close call and supported his ref. Did you catch that?

3. Preston Campbell thought Orford was just going for the ball and when he heard the whistle, thought it was for a knock-on. Not a penalty.

Care? Last time I looked Preston wasn't a ref. At any rate what does it matter? Plenty of people thought it was a harsh call, plenty thought it fair, plenty thought it was obvious etc etc, Get it yet? No you probably don't, you are probably still sitting there thinking there is an objective answer, and by listing a bunch of names of people who saw it the same way you did you wil somehow have found it. Oh well, I am sure your mum thinks your quite clever.

After the way you've been carrying on...........it must make you feel like a complete..... how should I put this... Idiot!!

See above.

It was a 50/50 call, and all you have done is highlight how it was a 50/50 call, along with how slowly it takes people such as yourself to utilise a shred of common sense.

Daddycool

Juniors
One moment you are astounded people could dispute the call was anything other than a penalty, the next you say it was subjective enough to be considered a 50/50 call...... make up your mind.

You're back-pedalling now and you know it.

lockyrulz

Juniors
One moment you are astounded people could dispute the call was anything other than a penalty, the next you say it was subjective enough to be considered a 50/50 call...... make up your mind.

You're back-pedalling now and you know it.

Sigh....

IMO it was an obvious penalty.

With me so far?

However, the comments from here and the comments I have read, would indicate that many people agree with me, many do not, and many remain undecided.

Keeping up?

From that, whilst I persoanlly saw it as an obvious penalty, I am not stupid enough to believe that everyone will see it the same way or that there is anyway to conclusively determine if I am correct or the others.

Still following?

I am not pissed that the ref rules one way or another in these situations, I am just sick of f**kwits like you thinking there is a 100% objective answer when there clearly isn't, and wanting to castiagte refs who in this case, actually had a very good game.

You getting it?

All we have are subjective calls. The ref made one, I made one and you made one. Ours don't mean sh*t, his does. There is no way of determining for sure which is correct. Therefore I happily ascede to what Finch and Harrigan state, which is that despite my subjective feelings, the decision could have gone either way, and the ref should be supported for making a hard call.

Do you get it yet? Who I am kidding,I probably lost you after 'sigh'

Daddycool

Juniors
Sigh...

You sound like someone who is trying very hard to convince himself of a particular point of view. One which is fast settling into the minority.

Sigh....

IMO it was an obvious penalty.

With me so far?

However, the comments from here and the comments I have read, would indicate that many people agree with me, many do not, and many remain undecided.

Keeping up?

From that, whilst I persoanlly saw it as an obvious penalty, I am not stupid enough to believe that everyone will see it the same way or that there is anyway to conclusively determine if I am correct or the others.

Still following?

I am not pissed that the ref rules one way or another in these situations, I am just sick of f**kwits like you thinking there is a 100% objective answer when there clearly isn't, and wanting to castiagte refs who in this case, actually had a very good game.

You getting it?

All we have are subjective calls. The ref made one, I made one and you made one. Ours don't mean sh*t, his does. There is no way of determining for sure which is correct. Therefore I happily ascede to what Finch and Harrigan state, which is that despite my subjective feelings, the decision could have gone either way, and the ref should be supported for making a hard call.

Do you get it yet? Who I am kidding,I probably lost you after 'sigh'

:lol: Now theres an example of a mind that blows along with whatever covenient wind happens along.

lockyrulz

Juniors
Sigh...

You sound like someone who is trying very hard to convince himself of a particular point of view. One which is fast settling into the minority.

On what basis is it 'fast settling into a minority'? Because a few tards on a forum say so?

Canvassed everyone who has an opinion on the issue have you? Dumb much?

Jonesy

Juniors
Arguing over the internet is like winning the special Olympics locky, even if you win you're still geniused.

Latest posts