What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Titans vs South Sydney,Cbus Super Stadium - Saturday 3.00pm

Rabbits20

Immortal
The pass the Sutton threw for Grevshule's first try's was one of the best passes I've seen Sutton throw, he held onto it just long enough so the defense had gone past Grevo and voila.

Now, when's Reynolds back and does Souths have a bye or two coming up?

Yeah Sutton lifted a lot in the second half when it was needed.

Our bye is in round 15. We play warriors in Perth next week and then the Tigers in Round 14. I reckon Reynolds could be back for the Tigers game.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Reminded me a lot like the one he threw Geddes in Round 26 2009 to score the match winner. Sutto is a master of the shot ball and Reyno could learn a lot from him.

Reyno they reckon will be back in Round 16 against Manly, a week after our first bye.

Mate I reckon there is a chance of him playing in Round 14. If he plays that match he would have been out for 4 and a half weeks.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I clearly remember the Geddes try.

Rabbits20

Immortal
alot of people underrate sutton. he is very important to this team. he doesn't need to play in the halves to make an impact though. i wonder how close madge is, putting sutton back in the 2nd row and bringing in cody walker. i reckon sutton going ok in the 6, but keary needs to improve his last tackle plays a bit

Yeah Keary needs to improve his kicking game, it's below standard.

I reckon Madge will stick with Sutto at 5/8 especially with Lowe returning next week to the back row.

Rabbits20

Immortal
It sure was, Gray came back to earth with a thud this week.

You're not wrong.

What about the strip that Sezer did on Gray and the Titans scored!

That was a stressful pull your hair out kind of game.

Imagine Madge in the box, would have been stressed!!!!

Last edited:
Souths Grind Out Win Over Titans

Words: Tom Skolarikis I Photos: Nrlphotos.com
Sat 30th May, 05:00PM
A A http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/_jcr_content/par/newslist_95ce.rss

1432969301609.jpg

The South Sydney Rabbitohs have grinded out a 22-16 victory over the Gold Coast Titans this evening (Saturday), overcoming a determined home-side that refused to throw in the towel.
A try-scoring double to Chris Grevsmuhl as well as tries to Greg Inglis and Aaron Gray proved enough to sink the Titans. But the victory didn’t come easily, with key Rabbitohs representatives such as Inglis and George Burgess both leaving the field during a crucial period of the match.
The Rabbitohs earned themselves a repeat set inside the first four minutes of play right on the Titans’ line following a Titans error. But despite some strong running from the red and green’s, the Gold Coast defence held strong to survive.
Another Titans mistake saw the home-side place themselves under yet more pressure with the Rabbitohs attacking strongly. But yet again, the Titans managed to repel the threat.
Incredibly, it would be the home-side who would score first against the run of play after 10 minutes of sustained Rabbitohs pressure – Anthony Don getting outside Aaron Gray to score just inside touch to make it 4-0.
Luke Keary tried to spark something when the half managed to step through the Titans defence on a last tackle play before streaking 30 metres and grubber kicking for the wing of Johnston. The Titans diffused the opportunity at the last second by batting the ball over the dead-ball line just ahead of the flying Johnston.
The Rabbitohs finally hit back in the 22nd minute when an attacking raid from short range saw Luke Keary pass on to Inglis, who brutally bumped off a Titans defender before racing through to score behind the posts. But the on-field referee conferred to the video, sending the try upstairs with ‘no-try’ the call on the grounds of a possible obstruction. The try would ultimately stand after much deliberation with Luke converting from right in front to take the lead by 6-4.
But despite the Rabbitohs being parked down the Titans’s side of half-way the red and green were struggling to score points. Another penalty in front of the sticks saw the red and greens opt to run the ball rather than take the two points. The option would prove fruitless, and by the time the Gold Coast got back into Souths’ half, James Roberts scored out wide to re=take the lead with Sezer converting from out wide to make it 10-6 at half-time.
On the resumption, despite a repeat set to the Titans, it was the Rabbitohs who would be first to score in the second stanza when he hit a John Sutton short-ball hard and scoring to level it up at 10 apiece. Issac Luke’s conversion attempt to take the lead hit the upright, leaving the sides all square.
Aaron Gray came within a whisker of scoring moments later when he finished off a Rabbitohs back-line movement. But a desperate Titans defensive effort saw Gray come up just short.
Rabbitohs fans held their collective breath when Inglis stayed down following a failed kick diffusion that saw him hit in the head accidentally by Ryan James. Inglis would not return to the game.
With the scores locked up and Johnston now playing fullback to cover Inglis, Souths stuck to their structures and when given the opportunity on the Titans’ line, a set play that involved a rare inside ball from Nathan Brown to a flying Alex Johnston saw the Souths Junior streak in under the sticks. Luke made no mistake this time around with the conversion to make it 16-10.
A Kevin Gordon mistake for the Titans deep in their own half was exactly what the Rabbitohs needed and they took full advantage when Grevsmuhl crashed over for his second of the afternoon. Luke converted to make it 22-10.
But the game was far from over. An Aaron Gray error at the beginning of a seven tackle set gave the Titans immediate use of the ball with six minutes in the match remaining with Anthony Don racing over untouched. Sezer converted to make it 22-16.
Souths desperately tried to get the ball out of their red-zone through George Burgess, but a sickening head-clash with a Titans player saw the Englishman lose the ball in vital field position, gifting the ball to the home-side with three minutes remaining.
The Titans would have stolen the game had it not been for the brilliant defence of Alex Johnston, who managed to knock the ball clean out of the Gold Coast’s hands over the try-line to deny the home-side.
The Rabbitohs would ultimately hold on to take the victory by 22-16. The victory backs up the Club’s NYC win over the Titans earlier in the day by 30-26.

Rabbitohs 22 (Greg Inglis, Chris Grevsmuhl 2, Alex Johnston, tries; Issac Luke 3 goals)
Defeated
Titans 16 (Anthony Don 2, James Roberts, tries; Aidan Sezer 2 goals)

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2015/05/30/souths_grind_out_win.html

hurricane57

Juniors
Since Dylan came back from injury he has been contained by the opposition..........maybe he prefers Keary at 5/8.

You are probably correct in all that you say, would be great to have Aauva back as well.

Does anybody feel that Madge is a touch conservative, not only in the way he has such a structured plan for the team, bu more importantly, the team selections - I mean, when was the last time Jason Clarke scored of threw the final pass that lead to a try. Imagine putting Sutton there and maybe a Cody Walker at half and Keary back to 5/8.

Rabbits20

Immortal
You are probably correct in all that you say, would be great to have Aauva back as well.

Does anybody feel that Madge is a touch conservative, not only in the way he has such a structured plan for the team, bu more importantly, the team selections - I mean, when was the last time Jason Clarke scored of threw the final pass that lead to a try. Imagine putting Sutton there and maybe a Cody Walker at half and Keary back to 5/8.

Sutto is so experienced at 6. In regular season games he's got us over the line so many times.

Cody and Keary in the halves is an inexperienced combo which is why Madge won't go that way.

southsport

First Grade

Hurri, Madge certainly doesn't rush into any selections.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Yeah Walker hasn't been great, his injury set him back somewhat.

Geez talk about making it hard for ourselves. Still, a wins a win.

Agree on Dylan.

He also sprained his ankle in the game today and they heavily tapped it.

In the Storm game 2 weeks ago Dylan had a great performance.

Dylan has been solid imo, it's just we have such high expectation of him to do brilliant things.

Latest posts