What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Carney caught Drink Driving!!

Eels Dude

Coach
Any other 22 year old with his history would have already seen the inside of a jail cell before they clocked up their 3rd DUI in 4 years.

Special treatment is something NRL players get in general when it comes to the courts. Most other 20 something year olds don't have they money for big dollar QC's/SC's. There are many examples. You watch the same thing happen with Robert Lui.

Absolute rubbish. Carney's only had one prior DUI too for the record and that was 5 years ago. And this second one is yet to go before the courts.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Absolute rubbish. Carney's only had one prior DUI too for the record and that was 5 years ago. And this second one is yet to go before the courts.

He has a pretty poor driving record and was told by a judge that he would face prison time if he came before her court again. (from memory)

I believe he avoided prison the last time because his run from the cops happened in the ACT

Eels Dude

Coach
He has a pretty poor driving record and was told by a judge that he would face prison time if he came before her court again. (from memory)

I believe he avoided prison the last time because his run from the cops happened in the ACT

That was a long time ago now. Really a low range DUI is a non issue. A first offender can easily avoid a license ban and no conviction at all. So while Carney should have known better, he shouldn't be hung out to dry for this. He's done a lot of stupid things in the past, but this is by far the tamest. Hopefully he learns from this. But he doesn't deserve to be crucified.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal

This is the key. Judges may take past indescretions into account but just because one judge has said that he will face prison time does not mean that he automatically will.

badav

Bench

What record is that? I don't profess to know absolutely, but some newspapers seem report its his 3rd. Also his last DUI was mid range and he was suspended for 5 years. That would tell you straight away that he had priors even then.

Then ontop of all that that you have the malicious damage + suspended jail sentence etc. Like i said, any non NRL playing 22 year old with his record = already in the slammer.

Danish

Referee
You obviously don't know too many troublesome 22 year olds mate (not a bad thing).

Unless you cause physical harm to someone these days you won't go to gaol for anything. Hell even most 2nd offence assaults don't end in gaol time.

Eels Dude

Coach
What record is that? I don't profess to know absolutely, but some newspapers seem report its his 3rd. Also his last DUI was mid range and he was suspended for 5 years. That would tell you straight away that he had priors even then.

Then ontop of all that that you have the malicious damage + suspended jail sentence etc. Like i said, any non NRL playing 22 year old with his record = already in the slammer.

He was done for DUI the time he was doing donuts in rural Canberra about 5 years ago. The incident with Stev Irwin when he did a runner resulted in a negligent driving conviction as well as driving disqualifed but no DUI.

Carney's record isn't that bad in comparison to others. Everything he's been convicted of is at the minor scale of things. All things worth a slap on the wrist hence while he won't spend any time in prison. The guy's not a robber, or a drug dealer... he's just an idiot who does stupid things when he's pissed.

As Danish said, no-one will recieve gaol time for such offences, repeated or not.

jonno_knights

Juniors
As Danish said, no-one will recieve gaol time for such offences, repeated or not.

Wes Naiqama?

I'd put Carney's record on par with Wes', and he recieved periodic detention.

Wes' caught 4 times driving whilst disqualified = complete disregard for the law.

Todd caught DUI x2, wreckless driving, negligant driving, speeding, evading the police, driving whilst disqualified = complete disregard for the law.

And thats not to mention his other alcohol related incidents.

Something like this would normally be considered a minor incident (well except to the media, as they would beat up anything). But the fact Carney has had such a checkered history, he has lost his right to claim things like this a one-off mistake and out of character. Carney only has himself to blame, and its times like these your past comes back to haunt you.

Eels Dude

Coach
Wes Naiqama?

Wes' caught 4 times driving whilst disqualified = complete disregard for the law.

Todd caught DUI x2, wreckless driving, negligant driving, speeding, evading the police, driving whilst disqualified = complete disregard for the law.

Something like this would normally be considered a minor incident (well except to the media, as they would beat up anything). But the fact Carney has had such a checkered history, he has lost his right to claim things like this a one-off mistake and out of character. Carney only has himself to blame, and its times like these your past comes back to haunt you.

Wes was disqualified from driving long term due to an incident that occured when he was a minor. No big deal really as kids make mistakes, but since then he's been convicted of driving unlicensed on four occasions. Think about it.

Eels Dude

Coach
Wes Naiqama?

Wes was disqualified from driving long term due to an incident that occured when he was a minor. No big deal really as kids make mistakes, but since then he's been convicted of driving unlicensed on four occasions. Think about it.

jonno_knights

Juniors

What am i thinking about? you said people dont go to gaol for repeat offences.

adamkungl

Immortal

lol, way to turn 2 incidents into 8

Danish

Referee
What am i thinking about? you said people dont go to gaol for repeat offences.

Wes racked up his 4 offended over a few years, with convictions at least every 12 months.

Carney's 2nd DUI occurred 5 years after his first, with another driving incident in between.

Massive difference

I wouldn't mind seeing what all these whining rorters fans were saying during carney's last indiscretion in canberra..........

God-King Dean

Immortal
Pretty ridiculous for Raider fans to take the high ground. How many chances did Canberra give him? And I'm sure there were Raider fans who gave Carney the benefit of the doubt until he was sacked.

jonno_knights

Juniors
Wes racked up his 4 offended over a few years, with convictions at least every 12 months.

Carney's 2nd DUI occurred 5 years after his first, with another driving incident in between.

Massive difference

Wes saw the inside of a cell due to repeat offences. End of story.

Carney got his license suspended for 5 years after the original incident. less then 5 years later, he gets done for the same thing...

What I dont understand is why the hell is carney even on the roads? Dec 16 2006 gets suspended for 5 years. Making him eligible to drive on Dec 16 2011.

Now you could say he was well behaved so might have been given a reduced suspension. But on May 18 he led police on a chase through Bruce whilst disqualified. And was told he wouldnt drive until 2012 (which isnt much more then the original punishment Dec 2011).

Obviously he was allowed to drive as he is back on his P's. But the guy must have got a serious favour. Or is it something to do with being in the ACT and now NSW? Either way, he is lucky to even be on the roads, and he blew that chance.

mave

Coach
Wes saw the inside of a cell due to repeat offences. End of story.

Carney got his license suspended for 5 years after the original incident. less then 5 years later, he gets done for the same thing...

What I dont understand is why the hell is carney even on the roads? Dec 16 2006 gets suspended for 5 years. Making him eligible to drive on Dec 16 2011.

Now you could say he was well behaved so might have been given a reduced suspension. But on May 18 he led police on a chase through Bruce whilst disqualified. And was told he wouldnt drive until 2012 (which isnt much more then the original punishment Dec 2011).

Things may have changed in the last year or so, but I knew a person in 2008 that was disqualified in NSW but still kept their ACT licence as the NSW judge had no jurisdriction over the ACT issued licence.

Obviously he was allowed to drive as he is back on his P's. But the guy must have got a serious favour. Or is it something to do with being in the ACT and now NSW? Either way, he is lucky to even be on the roads, and he blew that chance.

Latest posts