What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Carney Legal action

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
So they just said on NRL360, the club and Carney settled, if that was earlier back I apologise.

So the club I presume had sort legal advice.

Now obviously they have said (to the club) you could lose this. So three choices

1. Fight it knowing you could lose, and lose big $$$
2. Fight it hoping you win. Come out smelling like roses maybe even have the complainant pay the costs.
3. Settle, control the result ($$$) and keep it all confidential.

Appears three was chosen.

He did do a real dick thing, yeah bad taste, and is a dick, but he never assaulted people, guys like Fergo and others have had real charges against them, never got sacked and banished not allowed to play.

The smart thing was to stick him in reggies and away from the top squad.

Then this guy showed up, looking like this as Todd (gasp) took a bad photo.

dd714bdf3ce860b8e546adb64a0a8bd7.jpg

Surely

Post Whore
I thought he had such a bad boy sheet that the club were going to win because todd wouldn't want it to come out ?

Hope the NRL chip in some of the payout.

Eion

First Grade
Todd had them on a technicality, so the club would have expected to lose. The question would have always been...how much is the technical breach worth? Their insurer would have weighed up the cost of 5 days in court for both Todd and them (tens of thousands) which they would have had to pay given they lose...got the old calculator out and made a commercial decision....happens all the time.

I just hope the insurer managed to screw him down so most of it went to the bloodsucking lawyers instead.

Frenzy.

Immortal
I thought he had such a bad boy sheet that the club were going to win because todd wouldn't want it to come out ?

Hope the NRL chip in some of the payout.

Would make the club look bad too. Questions like "if he was such a merkin why did you keep him on?"

Dont know if anything else would of been admissable anyway. The lawyer types might know.

I am very surprised that the NRL has not taken the premiership of us for being over the cap with this payment.
Dangerous precedent . Sacked players now do not become part of salary cap money if they sue & win, like Carney, if the break NRL protocols?

Eion

First Grade
The club could have brought up whatever they liked. As long as it was relevant and they could support it. His past and reasons for termination would probably have already been documented at various aborted mediations etc.

Surely

Post Whore
NRL chief executive Dave Smith has backed Cronulla's decision to sack Todd Carney and placed players "on notice" that there would be "consequences" if they damaged the reputation of the code.

See your ad here
A spokesperson confirmed that NRL appeals committee chairman Ian Callinan, QC, would consider an application by Carney for leave to appeal the termination of his $3.5 million, five-year contract after a photo of him urinating towards his mouth was circulated widely on social media but Smith made it clear he had little sympathy for the troubled playmaker.

"I am right behind the process that has taken place so far," said Smith, who pointed out Carney was contracted to the Sharks and not the NRL. "It is incredibly disappointing when these things happen but it is less about the individual or the event and much more about the reputational damage it does to our game

http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/2404858/carney-sacking-backed-by-nrl-ceo/

As I said earlier I hope the NRL chip in seeing as they were right behind the decision

coolumsharkie

Referee
I dunno. All of a sudden Carney wants/ is coming back to the NRL in the papers and hey presto! Sharks settle the agreement.

What leg does he stand on there? Probably done deal ages ago.

Feej

First Grade
Meh. He's on his way to being a long term resident of Belmore Park anyway. Just a matter of time with him.

Latest posts