What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Carney released from Roosters

Raiders rule out Carney for 2012

BY LEE GASKIN, JON TUXWORTHAND GLENN JACKSONRUGBY LEAGUE
09 Sep, 2011 04:00 AM
Todd Carney partied with Canberra players the night before the Sydney Roosters released the troubled halfback, but there is no chance of him returning to the Raiders for 2012.
Carney officially parted ways with the Roosters yesterday in a decision described as a ''mutual agreement''.
The 25-year-old was out with a handful of Raiders who kicked on at Belconnen watering hole The Lighthouse into the early hours of yesterday morning following the club's Meninga Medal awards on Wednesday night.
The Roosters held their own end-of-season function on the same night, but Carney didn't take part after he was stood down last month for breaking a team alcohol ban. After news broke that the Roosters had agreed to a request from Carney to release him from the final year of his contract, Raiders chief executive Don Furner was quick to dispel any speculation their former star playmaker would return next season.
''We don't have room in the salary cap with three halves there locked away,'' Furner said. ''[Carney's] no chance for next year.''
The Raiders are well-stocked in the halves department for 2012, with Josh McCrone, Sam Williams and Michael Picker in the running to partner representative pivot Terry Campese.
As for the following year, Furner said: ''That's way too hard to speculate on''.
''The reality is Campo's still young (27), Josh is still young (24) and Sammy Williams (20) has got a lot of improvement in him,'' he said.
French club Catalan Dragons also ruled out recruiting the 2010 Dally M medallist as did a number of NRL clubs contacted last night.
NRL chief executive David Gallop said he still needed to be convinced the troubled star would not re-offend.
Gallop will seek a meeting with Carney should he decide he wants to play in the competition again - and importantly find a club ready to back him - after he officially parted ways with the Roosters. Gallop preferred not to speculate on the likelihood of Carney - who had been suspended by the Bondi Junction club for breaking a team alcohol ban - being registered to play again in the competition, but will take some convincing, given he met with the five-eighth after he was sacked by Canberra and allowed him to sign with the Roosters.

''If another club looked to sign him, we would want to sit down with that club and Todd, and understand what their plans are to keep him out of the spotlight off the field,'' Gallop said last night.
''That doesn't necessarily mean alcohol bans, but it does mean coming up with a plan where he's not going to make promises that he can't keep, and bring attention to himself.
''Given Todd's history, and the steps we've taken in the past with him, it would be prudent for us to continue to be involved in any ongoing place he has in the game.''
Canberra five-eighth Terry Campese, who enjoyed a fruitful combination with Carney at the Raiders, hoped the Goulburn product wasn't lost to Australia.
''Everyone knows what talent he's got, he won the Dally M Medal,'' Campese said. A low-level drink driving charge in February, followed by a drinking session with teammate Anthony Watts in April, saw him stood down. He was given another chance in May, only to break a team-imposed booze ban in August with Nate Myles and Frank Paul Nuuausala at a Sydney pub.

Wobbygong

First Grade
David Furner confirmed on radio re Todd.......... thanks but no thanks. The raiders board may have put their foot down.

bileduct

Coach
”We don’t have room in the salary cap with three halves there locked away,” Furner said. ”[Carney's] no chance for next year."

WHAT. THE. f**k.

No room in the salary cap for next year? After letting go of Orford, Tongue, Miller, Milne, Stuart and replacing them with f**kING NOBODY we have no room in the cap?

f**k this, I'm done.

Furner out.

bileduct

Coach
Next year is going to be a disgrace. Campese coming back won't change a thing. We have by far the youngest and most inexperienced team in the competition. I did some stats recently and found that we consistently have the lowest number of cumulative games in any fielded team, with the exception of some Broncos teams during State Of Origin. Next year it will be even worse with Tongue (200+ games) and the others missing.

Engrave your spoons for 2012 now, fellas. We should have got it this year, but it's coming next year for sure.

bileduct

Coach
Our squad for next year has only THREE players with 100+ games. From the ENTIRE squad. David Shillington, Dane Tilse and Bronson Harrison.

Compare this to a team like Manly, ELEVEN players at 100+ games, or the Dragons with THIRTEEN.

sydraider

First Grade
Maybe they have cleared the decks for dugan?

I cant see any other way we would be at cap space after letting go of above mentioned players, the mind boggles. Dugans next contract might be a whopper!

Pete Cash

Post Whore
”We don’t have room in the salary cap with three halves there locked away,” Furner said. ”[Carney's] no chance for next year."

WHAT. THE. f**k.

No room in the salary cap for next year? After letting go of Orford, Tongue, Miller, Milne, Stuart and replacing them with f**kING NOBODY we have no room in the cap?

f**k this, I'm done.

Furner out.

Depends on the deal that Orford got. We were still obliged to pay him out.

Really I think the club won't come out and say hey yeah we realise how shit we are this fella isn;t shit so we are desperate. I would be very shocked if they haven't at least had a word with him. He hangs out with the playing squad all the time, if he doesn't pick up a contract before we start pre season I would not be surprised if he trains with us.

Gaseous Clay

Juniors
If he makes is to Jan 1st 2013 without drinking a lick he gets 300 000 for playing for us. Breath test him every morning is the condition - if he goes over .005 (rumballs and soothers) he defaults the cash.

aussies1st

Staff member
Surely what he meant to say is we have enough depth in the halves, as deadset if they have no room under the cap with the amount of players leaving then we need a new accountant.

Cryptic

Juniors
I really think all the room under the cap will be going to Dugan.... Plus I heard we maybe announcing the signing of someone else soon.

We are talking to someone who's team is still in the finals.

A few off contract backs.

T.Williams
D.Williams
M.Utai
M.Brown
M.Bani
S. McDonnell

and few others

Titanic

First Grade
Our squad for next year has only THREE players with 100+ games. From the ENTIRE squad. David Shillington, Dane Tilse and Bronson Harrison.

Compare this to a team like Manly, ELEVEN players at 100+ games, or the Dragons with THIRTEEN.

They won't get a hundred if they don't play ... I wish we had that problem, we only select players who are 100 plus ... years old I mean.

Cryptic

Juniors