What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Carney

aussies1st

Staff member
raider_ktj said:
I feel sorry for Carney always being compared to Tim Smith. It musnt do his confidence a lot of help.
Imagine how Tim Smith feels when being compared to Johns :shock: If Elliot had done what Brian Smith did then maybe Carney would be compared with Johns. Instead he was left in PL for way too long and he lost his confidence we saw in 04.

edabomb

First Grade
The problem is people have built Carney up to something he isn't at this stage. Exactly the way they did with Brett Finch.

I hate being labelled a 'poso'. I've always said if there is a better coach than Elliott on the market sign him up, but while there isn't do the best with what you've got. I'm not going to join a crusade against Elliott because its a conflict of interests, look at how much more Bay56 posts at the GH after a loss.....

Stuart

Juniors
aussies1st said:
We have seen glimpse of what Carney can do. His kicking game isn't up there yet and he can't control a game like Tim Smith. But hopefully will a near full season and a solid run in the 7 jersey this year will lead to better things next year. If we had started with Carney at halfback with a fully fit and on fire Smith things may have been different.

Its totally unfair to compare T.Smith to Carney. All you have to do is look at what they have to work with. How many of our players would make the eels side on form? J.Smith would, and Thommo might get a bench spot, thats it. T.Smith is working with a side that is a) on form much better and b) has attackign game plans, i would like to see what T.Smith could do with our bunch under Matty Elliot, but my hunch is not too mcuh.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Stuart said:
Its totally unfair to compare T.Smith to Carney. All you have to do is look at what they have to work with. How many of our players would make the eels side on form? J.Smith would, and Thommo might get a bench spot, thats it. T.Smith is working with a side that is a) on form much better and b) has attackign game plans, i would like to see what T.Smith could do with our bunch under Matty Elliot, but my hunch is not too mcuh.

well said

aussies1st

Staff member
Basically if Carney was at the Eels he would be Tim Smith right now. If Tim Smith was at the Raiders he would be Carney. Elliot is the reason why Carney isn't going well in first grade.

edabomb

First Grade
As if, Tim Smith pwns Carney, any unbias half-knowledgable viewer can see that. If we had had Smith and Smith in the halves all season we'd be top 8 at least.

Raider_69

Post Whore
edabomb said:
As if, Tim Smith pwns Carney, any unbias half-knowledgable viewer can see that. If we had had Smith and Smith in the halves all season we'd be top 8 at least.

I have major doubts about that, we'd be better off for the moment but remember Tim Smith nearly 2 years older then Carney, so 2 years more development. Im confident with the right coaching that at the same age Carney will be streets ahead of Tim Smith

Stuart

Juniors
edabomb said:

But what if we left him in PL for most of the season, gave him a few 10 min stints, dropped him, ruined his confidence, then when the team was racked by injury handed him the reigns and said, steady the ship...

edabomb

First Grade
Raider_69 said:
I have major doubts about that, we'd be better off for the moment but remember Tim Smith nearly 2 years older then Carney, so 2 years more development. Im confident with the right coaching that at the same age Carney will be streets ahead of Tim Smith

Well I agree with that, apart from the streets ahead, I think Carney could be on a similar level to Smith in a couple of years. Thats why I always said it'd be better longterm if Carney plays this entire season in reggies. A lot of players never recover from rough starts to their FG careers.

I totally disagree Ed. Carney isn't as good as we've been hyping, but at the same time, it wouldn't matter if we had Tim Smith or Scott Prince (I'm not mentioning Andrew Johns because he's the only player who could change the way our side plays because he does more coaching than Hagan)... it's all dependant on the way we're coached. The others players don't run where they're supposed to. There's no depth in the attacking line. It's all so predictable. Nothing would change no matter who we had at halfback, except as I said, Johns.

woodgers

Bench
edabomb said:

No Ed, you're not getting it which is showing your lack of knowledge. Tim Smith would be nothing at the Raiders simply because the whole structure of the attack is based around hit ups. There is no hole running or structured attack to create like at Parra. Half Knowledgeable? Ed, you just started a thread bagging a young player who has done his best with bugger all to work with at all. You then went on to praise Drew which was incredible to say the least.

How are you knowledgeable on this player? I have watched what he does in a team that runs holes and attacks with purpose and I can tell you he is at his best in that side. Put him in firsts where they don't even bother hole running and his role is to put in the occasional kick and help Withers with the dummy half role and he can't do anything at all, no matter how good a player he is. I have been watching him for 2 years and I can tell you that he is better than the 10 performances that you have judged him on.

aussies1st

Staff member
edabomb said:

Carney wasn't picked for NSW u17 halfback for no reason. The NSW selectors see talent, too bad the same can't be said for Elliot. Trust me if Smith was at the Raiders he would have been stuck in PL just like Carney. Withers would still have been halfback that is just what Elliot does with new players.

Raider_69

Post Whore
id even go so far as to say not even the great :)roll:) Andrew johns could turn our attack into something to be feared

aussies1st

Staff member
Johns is probably the only halfback that could fix our team. With his kicking game he would add that spark we always miss when we get into the opposition half.

Raider_69 said:
id even go so far as to say not even the great :)roll:) Andrew johns could turn our attack into something to be feared

Mate... I know you don't like the bloke, and neither do I really on a personal level, he seems a bit arrogant... but even you can't deny the effect he's had on Newcastle. They're nothing when he's not playing. When he does play, they're world beaters. The games he's been playing over the last month or two have been mindblowing.

If he was our halfback and he had a huge influence on our attacking structure, we'd be playing so much better.

edabomb

First Grade
woodgers said:
No Ed, you're not getting it which is showing your lack of knowledge. Tim Smith would be nothing at the Raiders simply because the whole structure of the attack is based around hit ups. There is no hole running or structured attack to create like at Parra. Half Knowledgeable? Ed, you just started a thread bagging a young player who has done his best with bugger all to work with at all. You then went on to praise Drew which was incredible to say the least.

How are you knowledgeable on this player? I have watched what he does in a team that runs holes and attacks with purpose and I can tell you he is at his best in that side. Put him in firsts where they don't even bother hole running and his role is to put in the occasional kick and help Withers with the dummy half role and he can't do anything at all, no matter how good a player he is. I have been watching him for 2 years and I can tell you that he is better than the 10 performances that you have judged him on.

I hardly praised Drew, I said he was the better option in the 2004 semi vs the Roosters when everyone was saying Carney should of been in the 7.

I have not lost all hope on Carney, I just wish people wouldn't hype a player up soooo much. If Carney doesn't perfrom next year people will probably do a Finch and turn on him.

Put him in firsts and its a completely different ballgame. Gafa was a premier league God, hardly translated to firsts did it?

Raider_69

Post Whore
i relise the change he can make on a team, which is why i said it, its more a shot on the coaching staff that i dont think even he could drag our attack to anything resembling dangerous

Raider_69

Post Whore
edabomb said:
Put him in firsts and its a completely different ballgame. Gafa was a premier league God, hardly translated to firsts did it?

How quickly we all forget 2004 (myself included), where he was one of our best and most consistant players... he has had a shocking season no doubt but he was pretty good for us previous to that

Boing Boing

Juniors
woodgers said:
No what is funny Ben is that people that support Elliott and say that the best combo was Woolford, Withers, Smith used the record to support their arguements rather than look at the nuffy sides we beat at that particular time. Imagine if we had to play St George now?

Well the difference there is, in the 1st 4 games where we used that combo, we scored plenty of points, whereas now, with the Carney combo, we can't do anything. St George have improved whereas we have declined in form.

The team's best form in 2005 was with Withers at half and Woolford at Hooker, no matter how you look at it. Perhaps with the current halves combo, we would get smashed by St George, but would we get smashed with Withers at half? He played some of his best footy next to Jason Smith.

Raider_69

Post Whore
and whilst i dont prescribe to the injury excuse, that form was played whilst the only injuries we had were Nate Smith and Terry Martin... co-incidence or something more? I dont know, but id like to see how Carney played with a full strength team