What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Carney

woodgers

Bench
Oh, and Elliott wouldn't have bugger all to do with the young guys at the club. We have recruitment officers working in our areas to identify talent and bring it to the club. From there they go through the ranks until they do something out of this world for Elliott to promote them into 1st grade and take the credit.

woodgers

Bench
benmeyer said:
Yes, I have. Newcastle played with close to what their squad is now in round 2 and Souths were at their best. If you go back and look at those early games, you'll see that the style of play was attack-centric and expansive, no matter of the quality of the opposition. Withers was making 4-5 breaks a game and the entire team was functioning as a unit.

You seem to think I'm having a shot at Carney, but I'm not. I'm sure he'll improve at some stage.

Just because you don't think Withers is a half, it doesn't mean it wasn't a good choice in the early stages of this season. Regardless of whether he only played will besides Smith or not, our best combination this year has been 9. Woolford, 7. Withers, 6. Smith. Don't be blinded by your compulsion that Carney's inclusion is the answer to all our problems.

I'm not but why bother responding at all. Why? If you honestly believe that the Knights and Souths were playing as good footy then as they are now then it doesn't warrant a response. Ridiculous to say the least.

edabomb

First Grade
Raider_69 said:
Ed thats precisely the point i was making about you... Elliot gets concessions from you because of our injuries, whilst you hound on carney at any chance despite injuries... you are the type that i was talking about earlier, that want the door to swing both ways for their arguement, im glad you picked up on the irony.

Not really, I've always said if there is a realistic better alternative to Elliott go for it. The problem is your sign Stuart/Bellamy argument is invalid because they're both of contracts.

Raider_69

Post Whore
paulquinn49 said:
Mr Townsend I am of the belief you are geniused. Fair call?

I mean you have started watching PL and your weak ass PL opinions have been spewed out from every orifice. Claiming anyone who scores a try as the new Canberra saviour. A few weeks ago you bagged Carney and claimed Zillman was better.

Now claiming we have the best juniors in the comp is pretty lame, I mean you really havent followed/seen any other junior footy have you? Arrive Alive Cup dont count.

I cant question your committment, but am disappointed in your one eyed views.

Mr Quinn, i KNOW your geniused, so fair call indeed.

I have watched a fair share of PL, without watching every game, which i dare say is probably more then you have seen, regardless, i have never claimed anyone who scores a try is our saviour, nor have i bagged Carney to go on to say Zilly is better, if these claims a serious im sure you'll have no issue providing direct quotes as such... I have said the Zilly is potentially better then McLinden (very simular style of player) and i have been critical of Carney when ive seen fit to do so, thats the beauty of being a realist, something i know you have very little knowledge about.

Its my opinion that our PL team is the best in the business, i have made this assessment but the playing talent in them and from watching although we arnt coming first, when we are on song and playing well, i have not seen a team that can match it with them... the problem is their ability to switch off... injuries to FG have also played a part as alot of players have been promoted and switched around willy nilly to accomidate FG.

I find your veiws on juniors to be worthless as i dont think you have seen enough to make any honest assessments of them, one or two games doesnt count btw.

Not only can i question your committment, but i also am disappointed at your one eyed and uneducated veiws... stick to the social threads, you muppet ;-) :p :lol:

Raider_69

Post Whore
edabomb said:
Not really, I've always said if there is a realistic better alternative to Elliott go for it. The problem is your sign Stuart/Bellamy argument is invalid because they're both of contracts.

Snoopy Collins, Furner, Daley, Anderson (daniel not chris), hell Joe bloggs down the road... all worth candidates to at the very least co coach with Elliot, and take control of our attack

Boing Boing

Juniors
woodgers said:
Oh, and Elliott wouldn't have bugger all to do with the young guys at the club. We have recruitment officers working in our areas to identify talent and bring it to the club. From there they go through the ranks until they do something out of this world for Elliott to promote them into 1st grade and take the credit.

Yet it's Elliott's fault when we lose players? Bollocks. As you say to me, Elliott will have a big say in who we recruit.

Boing Boing

Juniors
woodgers said:
I'm not but why bother responding at all. Why? If you honestly believe that the Knights and Souths were playing as good footy then as they are now then it doesn't warrant a response. Ridiculous to say the least.

I believe the Rabbits were playing much better footy against us earlier this year. The reason they beat us the second time round is that we were awful. I'm not going to continue because your feet are obviously stuck in a block of concrete.

woodgers

Bench
benmeyer said:
I believe the Rabbits were playing much better footy against us earlier this year. The reason they beat us the second time round is that we were awful. I'm not going to continue because your feet are obviously stuck in a block of concrete.

Rubbish, it is because you are the only person on this planet that thinks Souths were playing better earlier this year. Here are a few results for you in regards to Souths

1. vs Roosters - lost - 24 - 16
2. vs Eels - Won - 49 - 24
3 vs Raiders - lost - 25 -18
4. vs Warriors - lost - 46 - 14

Recent weeks:

21. vs Dogs - won - 37 - 24
22. Bye
23. vs Raiders won
24. vs Roosters - won - 17 - 16

Should I get the stats for Knights and Dragons?

Boing Boing

Juniors
Mate, scorelines don't prove anything. Anyone can pull up a statistic and make it mean anything they want. You were at souths this year at teh SFS. Do you really think they played poorly that day?????

dubby

Bench
I almost groaned when I read some of these threads. On one hand you have R69 and Woodgers and AusRaider sharpening their Elliot Axe, and other guys saying Carney isn't quite ripe yet. Both are stubborn, unyielding and unlikely to change.

I believe that too much emphasis has been placed in Todd, resulting in pressure, expectation and hope that he really doesn't need. If we had an injury free run and could give him a consistant backline week in and week out, he might be able to conjure something regardless of WHO was in the backline. Ok, some of our backs are not gamebreakers, yet with a quality halves combo they might actaully be able to create something. Look at Newcastle. An average backline with an outstanding half who makes opportunities. T smiths kicking game does wonders for Parra, Prince works wonders with Marshall. One factor-the backline in all these teams is not as high quality as Saints, Brisbane, Storm even NQ, yet are producing results due to an injury free run, development into a gameplan that suits the team (not an individual) and having the same team on the paddock for long periods of time. Matt Elliot has had a wretched run with injuries, no-one can deny that. It is hard for the coaching staff to play an expansive game when all year your side changes from week to week due to an injury toll that looks like a hospital ward. Plus, in MHO, Todd was still a bit raw but now he's had experiance, his confidence is growing (that kick yesterday for Graham-magic) and will be better next year if he has the belief from the Coach, the supporters and his team-mates. Its been a tough year guys, but next year will be better and 07 will be premiership time.

paulquinn49

Bench
Thing is Dubby if we had an injury free side, Carney wouldnt be selected. My biggest disappointment in Carney is that he hasnt lived up to the hype. Hype that was built by some posters on here and other forums who have seen him play in PL and thought he was good.

They seemed to have forgotten how big the leap from PL to NRL is. They then use the excuse that he is working with an injured team as their arguement, which may be relevant if he can force his way into the 17 when our side isnt decimated by injury. But he cant

woodgers

Bench
benmeyer said:
Mate, scorelines don't prove anything. Anyone can pull up a statistic and make it mean anything they want. You were at souths this year at teh SFS. Do you really think they played poorly that day?????

No Souths didn't play poorly that day but they didn't play well either, a lot of unforced errors. I put it to you that the Raiders round 3 side played a totally different Souths to the one that faced them in Round 23. So back on topic, the Carney challenge was a lot more difficult than the one that Withers faced at halfback in round 3.

I can't really be bothered going round and round the block again over this issue so there is no point argueing with some people on here, it is pointless. I won't change my stance that Carney is a very, very good young halfback who is not a worldbeater yet, but has more potential than anyone I have seen come through the ranks in years to really go on with it. The pro Elliott debaters need to acknowledge that there are no backs coaches at the Raiders so he has to pretty much learn on the job, there is no Uni or TAFE for him to learn the ropes. Unfortunately his every move against more experienced players with much better teams is being scruitinised at every point by fans, most of whom are either too dumb or too blinded to see that this player is doing his best in a team that plays completed opposite to everything he does so well. Does anyone here think that Mr Elliott plays a style that would allow any halfback in the league to look good? I hate to say it again but I hope like hell that he moves on at the end of next year so that everyone can see what he can be in a decent team that IS well coached.

Boing Boing

Juniors
By the look of that post, I'm not sure if you were really arguing against me in the first place. I never said Carney was awful, just that it wasn't his time yet. I concur with your first paragraph, though.

Edwahu

Bench
Carney has played well with limited opportunities in a team that has been shocking the last 7 weeks. What half is going to perform when his team has 10-20 less sets with the ball every week and considering most of our sets are 4 hitups and a play by the 5/8th? Answer that honestly and wake up to yourselves Carney haters.

We will see who made the right call about him over the next few years.

The biggest problem this year, especially at the backend of the year, was the fact our forwards were comparatively sh*thouse and our discipline was crap. Most people will disagree because they bone up for "work horses" though.

greeneyed

First Grade
edabomb said:
I'm personally dissapointed in the kid. Numerous fans on this forum told us last year that he was ready to lead us into finals footy, and was ten times the player Drew was. After seeing us go 2-8 in his 10 matches this season I would have to say Drew pwns him. Silly stuff promoting him before he was due. The kid can't have much confidence now.

I am officially not going to even read this thread ed.

woodgers

Bench
Really, because 2 minutes ago Ben who is debating on your side said that stats don't mean a thing?

edabomb

First Grade
I don't see it as sides, just differences of opinions. Ben and I agree on a lot, I major in stats though so I have to give them some time :lol:.

Latest posts