What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Carney

edabomb

First Grade
Kris_man said:
Comparing Todd Carney to Matt Orford, and using that as a negative - WTF??

Orford wasn't an especially strong player at the Northern Eagles. Bottom line is Storm management have ten times more clue than our lot, can you see us obtaining any rep players to surround Carney with? We've been relying on juniors since 1996 to turn our club around and its got us nowhere. Frankly it seems like managements future plan is to wait it out untill we get some juniors that live up to the hype.

aussies1st

Staff member
We just have to wait. Look at the Tigers, Cowboys and now Souths. They all have good young talent coming through and it shows with their results. We are exactly the same. Zillman and co will be coming up very soon so in the next few years we will be experiencing similar results.

brenno

Juniors
I think Carney is a natural 6 to be honest. His size alone (6ft 90+kg's) makes him a great option @ 6. Some of his game reminds abit of trent Barret when he first broke into first grade. His running and passing games are way ahead of his kicking game.

paulquinn49

Bench
Not even Craig Bellamy or whoever the new Canberra saviour for this week is would have the guts to do it.

Next week I am predicting Brian Smith as the new savior

aussies1st

Staff member
I can't see it happening given Smith played so well in the 6 jersey this year. I wish it did happen as that would be one awesome team. Having Smith at lock gives us that adding kicking player.

Whitty

Juniors
This is the most stupid post I have read in years on the forums. Johns is 30 something and Carney has just turned 19. Carney doesn't have rep players running off him in PL.... or JF..... he was steering them around all right. Very well in fact. I mean that post is the most ridiculous have read in years. Carney played extremely well last night and will in the future if the "Super coach" Matt Elliott has the courage to stick with him from Round 1 next season, as Brian Smith did with his half. Of course, Elliott won't..........
I was comparing Johns ability to make his players do what they are supposed to do with Carney's ability to do the same thing. Which if im not mistaken is the job of a halfback. Which, if he is a superstar, he should be able to do with a team of nuffies, straight off the bat. Why can he make the reggies go alright, yet the first graders (arent they better players than reggies???) need Smithy to call the shots?
This is the most stupid post I have read in years on the forums.
Well, congratulations on learning to read last night.

Brimmer

Juniors
I like the idea of smith at lock. Whether his body could stand up to it.. hmmm...not sure.

Kris_man

Bench
A halfback is only worth his salt if he can make a bunch of nuffies look good - Whitty, you're a goose.

Whitty

Juniors
No, a halfback is only a superstar if he can make a bunch of nuffies look good - if he just rolls around the park with them he is the same as Matt Orford. I dont know if i can make that any clearer for you blokes.

Kris_man

Bench
I was being sarcastic Brimmer. I actually agree with your last comment Whitty, but I don't see its relevance to the Raiders. So Carney isn't in the league of Johns? Who cares, nobody is! Most halfbacks (not just Matt Orford) require their forwards to dominate the ruck area before they can do anything half decent.

Something we talked a lot about last season on the forums, and we've barely touched on it this year, is the idea that a halfback doesn't play in a vaccum - he needs his forward pack to dominate, make yards, etc. You can say that a superstar halfback makes those around him look better, but usually it's the other way around - a top team, especially a dominating forward pack, can make a cruddy halfback look special. I think it's fair to say that Tim Smith has a much much better pack of forwards to play with, and his hole runners in Morrison, Widders, Ben Smith etc. sh*t all over ours.

Carney's already playing pretty well at the moment, behind a pretty weak team - if the forwards improve and the outside backs get some flair (unlikely, I know), I think we'll see his game improve as well. For all the talk of how much of a genius Jason Smith is, I really don't think there's been much between him and Carney the last few weeks.

Whitty

Juniors
Read the bits that look like this. I'm not saying he can't play first grade football - if he couldn't he would be sitting in front of a computer looking at LU forums same as you and me. I'm just agreeing that maybe he isn't the second coming of Ricky Stuart to the Raiders - a superstar. (theres that bold type again)

Carney hasnt proved he is a rep player yet but he may well develop into one.

Yes he has. "He was playing local first grade for the Goulburn Stockmen when he was 16 and represented NSW U17s. Played for NSW U19s and NSW Residents in 2004, including a man of the match performance against Queensland U19s. Made his NRL debut for the Raiders at 18, against the Bulldogs. Represented the junior Kangaroos against Papua New Guinea in 2004, scoring a record 20 points. His rugby league heroes are Laurie Daley and Andrew Johns." Straight from the Raiders website.

I didnt see Johns first 10 FG games but i am 1000% sure he did not have anywhere the impact he has now.
The point is he had more impact in his first ten games than what Carney has had in his first ten. Laurie Daley slayed them in a few of his first ten FG games. He went on to be a superstar. Meninga slayed them in his first ten FG games for Souths in Brisbane. He was a superstar (got to stop using that bold button) I think Carney will be a good footballer for the Raiders. Same as a lot of the rest of them. Good footballers. Not superstars (sh*t, did it again)

jed

First Grade
Whitty said:
The point is he had more impact in his first ten games than what Carney has had in his first ten. Laurie Daley slayed them in a few of his first ten FG games. He went on to be a superstar. Meninga slayed them in his first ten FG games for Souths in Brisbane. He was a superstar (got to stop using that bold button) I think Carney will be a good footballer for the Raiders. Same as a lot of the rest of them. Good footballers. Not superstars (sh*t, did it again)
So are you saying that if he doesn't set the world alight in his first 10 games, he'll never be a superstar?

:roll:

Whitty

Juniors
Well, theres been plenty before him that took less than ten to prove they were. Take from it what you may. I think he will be a good player - just not a ............you guessed it, superstar.

Whitty

Juniors
Most football players dont work themselves into positions of greatness - they either have it or they don't. I cant think of too many who trained themselves into positions of greatness - superstardom, if you will. Can you??

Stuart

Juniors
Daley, Johns, Stuart etc started their FG careers in teams much better than ours. Its hard to play well when you are in a very average team.

Latest posts