Todd Greenberg Appointed NRL CEO

Discussion in 'NRL' started by _Johnsy, Oct 20, 2015.

?

Who Should Be The Next NRL CEO

Poll closed Aug 16, 2016.
  1. Todd Greenberg

6 vote(s)
    7.4%
  2. Shane Richardson

5 vote(s)
    6.2%
  3. Phil Gould

7 vote(s)
    8.6%
  4. John Grant

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  5. Andrew Demetriou

5 vote(s)
    6.2%
  6. John Quayle

10 vote(s)
    12.3%
  7. Somebody Else.....Post Who

46 vote(s)
    56.8%
  1. El Diablo

El Diablo Post Whore

what makes you think that?

2. RazorRam0n

RazorRam0n Juniors

the context of his name being brought up in some posts seems to indicate he was not considered previously. that's my reading of it.

what's it to you anyway?

3. El Diablo

El Diablo Post Whore

you're not very good at reading things

4. RazorRam0n

RazorRam0n Juniors

prove me otherwise if you want to make an issue of it.

5. Tommy Smith

Tommy Smith Coach

Ftr, if we were to reduce the competiton to 24 rounds - even with 16 teams - we wouldn't see a reduction in games. It'd merely see the end of the staggered bye system around Origin, which is awful.

And it would be replaced with 3 stand alone Sunday night Origin games.

So we'd have the same amount of games, less player burn out, and that middle third of the competiton which is COMPLETELY RUINED by Origin simply would not be any more.

There'd be no dull matches featuring grossly understrength teams.

It's win win win all around. But we can't have that!

6. some11

some11 Coach

Yeah it's a bit of a shame that any kind of shake-up isn't even considered, it's not like we're changing the laws of the game ffs.

Probably too many agendas to navigate, I'd still like to know the grubby little secret behind Smith's exit.

7. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

Don't think its a secret, Murdoch flapped, Grant cowered, Smith was shown the door. Murdoch was happy, Grant could announce a new record TV deal, RL remains in its little TV managed box.

8. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

Allegedly players being offered around $9.6mill salary cap meaning a club grant of around $12.5mill if the 130% deal is to be believed. Though the figures in this report seem a bit out, NRL likely to have a revenue of around $550mill not $590mill next year, and that's if the clubs pay back their $24mill of advances they got this year on next years money

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...e/news-story/fe037fd5f516cd31831c5ab433f1f67b

9. Incorrect

Incorrect Bench

I'm getting further off topic but with regard to Origin ruining the season I couldn't agree more...

FFS - it was only the completion of Round 4 last weekend and channel 9 news already had a "Countdown to Origin" story in their news bulletin this week... channel 9 are addicted to Origin like some hopeless alcoholic ripping open a goon bag and repeatedly licking the interior of the silver bladder, determined to get every conceivable drop out of it no matter how ridiculous they look....

Tommy Smith and some11 like this.
  10. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

Well they did the official launch last week so not surprising the media is all over it, lets be honest the NSW v Qland thing is one of the best strengths but also one of the most glaringly obvious weaknesses of our sport in Australia. No wonder half the country think RL is a small sport played in a couple of states.

Even Greenburg when asked about the womens league said something like " we haven't decided if it will be an NRL club or NSW and Qlnad league" lol

11. forward pass

forward pass First Grade

Actually - credit to all the ladies on that panel - particularly Lara Pitt. She asked him questions no-one has ever asked before and didn't seem to accept what he was saying and shot back. Very impressive.

Life's Good and Tommy Smith like this.
  12. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

yes it was a breath of fresh air to hear intelligent people asking intelligent questions in a respectful way! Aside from Sterlo I am struggling to think of anyone else on Fox that would fit that criteria!

I hope Greenburg is a regular on it to answer the questions we are all asking. I don't know if he will though given he didn't get a easy ride.

13. Cockadoodledoo

Cockadoodledoo Bench

TBH Lara Pitt is one of the best panelists on Fox NRL full stop.

Emu01 and Life's Good like this.
  14. Hello, I'm The Doctor

Hello, I'm The Doctor First Grade

I thought you were in favour of shitty suburban grounds.....

15. NrlVader

NrlVader Juniors

Mark Latham is available.

Be a great CEO.

16. taipan

taipan Coach

I am ,provided they eventually get upgraded.Nothing's changed.
    I'll be going to one of those shitty sub grounds today,and it will get a damn side more than ANZ even on a fine day.

17. El Diablo

El Diablo Post Whore

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/8680af68e64fda90a652604e9c7f3533

Supercars bombshell as chief executive James Warburton quits

James Phelps Exclusive, The Daily Telegraph
    42 minutes ago

JAMES Warburton has quit as Supercars chief executive after rejecting a new deal to continue in the role beyond this year.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Warburton told the Supercars board last week he would quit at the end of the year in a move that has made him Australia’s most wanted sporting boss.

In a V8 bombshell, Warburton is already believed to have signed on for a new role, which will be announced on Tuesday.

Warburton confirmed his departure in a statement released this morning.

“With a heavy heart, I advise the 2017 season (and year) will be my last as CEO of the Virgin Australia Supercars Championship,” Warburton said.

“It has been an honour and a privilege to work with such inspiring people within the Supercars family and to lead a sport of which I have been a fan since the age of five.

“I am truly in awe of the passion and commitment across the entire industry and the dedication to entertain our fans and am blessed to have made a host of lifelong friends from the experience.

It’s understood Warburton, who brought Supercars back from the brink and turned it into a sporting force, was wined and dined by Phil Gould and Nick Politis earlier this year as the rugby league power brokers tried to entice him to push for NRL CEO Todd Greenberg’s job.

Greenberg’s tenure as NRL chief is up early next year and Warburton has heavily been linked to the role. Although sources close to Warburton are adamant he will not be working for the NRL in his new job.

Warburton claimed he was leaving Supercars in good shape.

“It is fair to say the sport is in great health, we have achieved so much with unity and, more importantly, the path is set to raise the sport to even greater heights,” Warburton said.

“Every single metric from EBIT, team distributions, crowd attendance to media numbers are well up and the fans continue to vote with their feet.

“Supercars is by no means a one man show and the sport remains in the very best of hands. There are far too many highlights to mention and people to thank to list them individually.

“In 2018, your number 1 fan will be sitting opposite pit lane, finally in shorts and a t-shirt with his family, cold beer in the hand cheering you all.”

He will reamin in charge until the season- ending race in November at Newcastle.

18. applesauce

applesauce Bench

JW turned V8 supercars into V6 and changed it from FORD V HOLDEN to include Merc, Nissan et al.

Seems to have vision and not afraid to break the mould.

19. Pedge1971

Pedge1971 First Grade

You mean Rothfield?

20. siv

siv Bench

Its not maker v maker anymore

V8 are just chassy with a badge v same chassy with a different badge