What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Greenberg has pretty much said one Sydney team will be relocated.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Johns wants 12 teams in nrl!

“I think it should be 12 teams,” Johns said on Immortal Behaviour for Wide World of Sports.

“I know from a broadcaster's (point-of-view) they wouldn't be happy with that. But I just think there's not enough talent going around, there's too many teams in Sydney, nine teams in Sydney is too many, but how they cull them is going to be really difficult.”

While there is near universal agreement on a second side for Brisbane, Johns has also floated the possibility of another team based overseas.

“I think they should put the salary cap right up and then it's natural selection, only the strong survive. If you can't compete or teams go broke because of bad management or administration then move them on.”

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/andrew...d9b6-4de1-9cb6-efae12c09a3a?ocid=Social-NRLFS

Perth Red

Post Whore
Still didn't read right!, You got the price comment right. The lack of marketing about such a deal would be part of the issue. For instance HALF PRICE THURSDAYS!

Should we have to devalue the game and reduce club revenue due to Sydney fan apathy? You can get a membership for less than $20 a game, it isn’t very expensive to go see an nrl game,

mongoose

Coach
Johns is an idiot. I don't get the "not enough talent" argument, it's not based on anything. Is he arguing that the current premiers aren't as good as they were in 1987 when there was 13 teams? The comp went to 16 teams in 1988, so for the past 31 seasons there has been 16 teams or more except for a brief period in the 2000s when there was 14 teams. And sorry just saying "yeah, nah the quality isn't as good as it used to be" isn't a valid argument.

Stallion

First Grade
Johns is an idiot. I don't get the "not enough talent" argument, it's not based on anything. Is he arguing that the current premiers aren't as good as they were in 1987 when there was 13 teams? The comp went to 16 teams in 1988, so for the past 31 seasons there has been 16 teams or more except for a brief period in the 2000s when there was 14 teams. And sorry just saying "yeah, nah the quality isn't as good as it used to be" isn't a valid argument.

Johns is stating what his uncaring bosses wants. And yes he has no understanding of what makes fans support a footy club. He has stated this outrageous line before along with Fittler. Both were good footballers and are clearly shocking for developing rugby league in the big picture. In fact embarassing! Mind you News ltd and the Broncos would love this as it negates genuine growth along with promoting more Sydney club infighting which delays any Brisbane 2 club! And ultimately the fans lose out!

sempmrh

Juniors
Admittedly, I haven’t read every single post of every thread in this forum but has anyone ever floated the idea of the NRL offering an incentive to clubs for volunteraly relocating? Put a large enough sum of money on the table on the condition that a club moves to an expansion area and I bet one of them bites.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Admittedly, I haven’t read every single post of every thread in this forum but has anyone ever floated the idea of the NRL offering an incentive to clubs for volunteraly relocating? Put a large enough sum of money on the table on the condition that a club moves to an expansion area and I bet one of them bites.

There was $8mill on the table for a long time. Now that’s chump change to clubs turning over$25mill a year.
No board is going to effectively sell their club no matter how much unless they are in administration. End of day what would they do with the money with no nrl club? You can’t just move a club to another city and have the same group owning and running it.

Stallion

First Grade
There was $8mill on the table for a long time. Now that’s chump change to clubs turning over$25mill a year.
No board is going to effectively sell their club no matter how much unless they are in administration. End of day what would they do with the money with no nrl club? You can’t just move a club to another city and have the same group owning and running it.

And fans would be pissed off big time! When the smiling assassin stuff was going on during the super league "agreement" their wasn't a good calibre of decision making or strategic thinking in play . Ideas like Wests becoming the West Coast Magpies with links to the Lidcombe based club like the Swans have with the Bloods in Melbourne could have worked. Instead a forced marriage with another Sydney club!? My god. The whole thinking back then was destructive and disrespectful. Thanks to News ltd and dumb rugby league officials.Mind you the people with an agenda to continue weakening the rugbyleague are still about. Some have no idea like ex footballers getting paid for reckless and thoughtless comments. Meanwhile the game stagnates and the fans become frustrated . It's dissapointing!

Last edited:

siv

First Grade
NRL just like the AFL can sustain a 18 team national comp

There no reason to remove clubs

Unless you to setup Adelaide where Easts have been the most successful team to try that experiment

sempmrh

Juniors
Yeah, I could only ever see a club with serious financial issues biting if there was cash on offer. A club that can stand on its own two feet doing it would piss off too many people.

Perth Red

Post Whore
NRL just like the AFL can sustain a 18 team national comp

There no reason to remove clubs

Unless you to setup Adelaide where Easts have been the most successful team to try that experiment

Problem is the nrl needs 4 future clubs to really grow. Perth and Brisbane2 now, Adelaide and nz2 down the track. Can’t see it ever going to 20 again so somethings got to give.

siv

First Grade
Adelaide is better suited for a relocation - either Cronulla or Easts

While Perth suits Tigers or Cronulla

Lots of talk NZ does not have the money for NZ2.

While the CC and Northern Sydney is better served by Norths replacing the Manly licence

Brisbane 2/3 should be the promotion of Redcliffe or Ipswich.. I prefer both actually

But relocations dont have to be true relocations. You could play 6-9 games in Perth or Adelaide or NZ and 6-3 heritage games

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nzrl doesn’t have the money. That’s not to say a private ownership model wouldn’t work.

Perth I have doubts as majority of RL fans here are ex pats and wouldn’t support a historic rival like they would a independent 100% perth club. Adelaide is def ripe for relocation. In the future,

6-9 games isn’t going to get the fans rusted on and committed.itd be like now where it feels like we are supporting the game more than our own club.

Stallion

First Grade
Problem is the nrl needs 4 future clubs to really grow. Perth and Brisbane2 now, Adelaide and nz2 down the track. Can’t see it ever going to 20 again so somethings got to give.

Why not twenty? For the record it wasn't given a fair go at all! The Superleague war saw to that. Kept the Broncos and News ltd happy and dismantled a progressive competition. Go figure!

Diesel

Referee
The problem for the NRL is too many clubs in Sydney. Everywhere else is doing fine.
Too many clubs vs too many opportunities to see them play.

For one club cities, you get to see them play 10-12 times a year excluding finals, in Sydney, you can see your club play in Sydney at least 16 times, more like 18 times a year.

Stallion

First Grade
Too many clubs vs too many opportunities to see them play.

For one club cities, you get to see them play 10-12 times a year excluding finals, in Sydney, you can see your club play in Sydney at least 16 times, more like 18 times a year.

Not doing your maths! As stated before: Divide 9 clubs into the combined population from the Central Coast through Sydney to the Illawarra. You will find a population that can enjoy all clubs. Given that Newcastle and Canberra cater to less numbers, the "too many clubs" line is a furfy . These established and renowned clubs deserve their spot in Sydney and are enjoyed outside of the regions mentioned. If the NRL were smart they would quickly remedy the northern Sydney situation and get Central Coast Bears playing out of Gosford. We know the Broncos are stopping Brisbane 2 but at least stop the rot in Sydney and surrounds!

MugaB

Coach
Without trying to deliberately pick on them, I think Manly would find life better at Gosford than Brookvale.
I just don't see where the money comes to keep Brookvale up to a professional standard compared to places like new Parra.
Christchurch for me, south island NZ needs a club, Sea Eagles have the brand, it would suit the team to be the Pacific Islands fed into club, the the NRL gave been wanting, imagine fiji, samoa and tonga, all feeding there juniors and lower grades into one south pacific club, itll turn into a powerhouse, regarding attendances especially
Manly had their chance with Central Coast, they abandoned them, and have been hiding in their northern beaches hole for over 15 years, theyve given nothing to northern sydney, let the roosters have a go, they can atleast offer an alternative the northern locals can stomach

MugaB

Coach
So it looks like Easts are the only club that pull off a successful Adelaide relocation. They have the state colours too. Just need a dash if yellow.
Its on the logo pal, there's a dash right on the beak, besides nowadays white is not really a color, as most teams have white in strip, so being called "tri-colors" is moot, unless.... Adelaide........ .....

MugaB

Coach
It’s round 2, you telling me people in Sydney didn’t know Souths were playing dragons?
Price I agree but still doesn’t explain why Newcastle can draw 18k and two Sydney teams only 10k from a catchment of 1million?

Souths have rusted on fans that pay for memberships and merchandise etc..
But they rarely turn up to the stadiums in droves, unless its showing up easts

Im actually more concerned the dragons fans didn't show, kogarah is a home ground they generally pack, might be a bad timeslot

Im not a fan of every game live, most games should play on the weekend arvos, at the same time, you'd get more families phyically watching than spead them out for the veiwers on fox, besides we used to have where the red button switched games played at the same time, why not go back to that
You can have more games going on the weekend

Last edited:

Latest posts