What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Greenberg has pretty much said one Sydney team will be relocated.

Dawesy76

Juniors
Also. There is no chance they’ll move a Sydney team to western Brisbane/QLD. The jets ‘bid’ or whatever it’s called surely won’t let that happen. I think it’s gotta be Perth or bust for a Sydney team.

Dawesy76

Juniors
No he didn't.

He ran through a list of options and that was one of them. Not sure how he basically said anything.
On 360 Kenty basically said the original plan before John Grant was to starve the clubs on funds and have one of them ask for help. The nrl would give it on the proviso of relocating. That way the club would save face with their fans by being ‘forced’ to move.

He also said Greenberg’s words such as ‘criteria’ is basically double talk for a Sydney club under the hammer.

Knight76

Juniors
Not sure we were talking about what Kenty said on NRL360, we were talking about what Greenberg said.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
f**k I hope it’s not the dogs , has to be manly surely ?, they aren’t that big of a club, Souths have fans all over the country, they could be an option, the roosters don’t really have many fans either.

Noisy Parker

Juniors
On 360 Kenty basically said the original plan before John Grant was to starve the clubs on funds and have one of them ask for help. The nrl would give it on the proviso of relocating. That way the club would save face with their fans by being ‘forced’ to move.

He also said Greenberg’s words such as ‘criteria’ is basically double talk for a Sydney club under the hammer.
The fact that you’re actually believing anything that comes out of Kent’s mouth shows that you’re Paul Kent.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I think Greenburg definitely wants a club to come to him and ask for help "we will save you if you commit to an expansion location". I bet the ARLC was f*ckin spewing when the 2 clubs that came totally into their power were Titans and Knights.

Had it been a Sydney club, they would have been moved right along.

I think the real question is, if it doesnt just fall into his lap, will Greenburg actively turn the screws and make it happen? Im guessing no.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
I think Greenburg definitely wants a club to come to him and ask for help "we will save you if you commit to an expansion location". I bet the ARLC was f*ckin spewing when the 2 clubs that came totally into their power were Titans and Knights.

I think the real question is, if it doesnt just fall into his lap, will Greenburg actively turn the screws and make it happen? Im guessing no.
Hoping his connection with the dogs keeps them safe haha.

mongoose

Coach
I think the most likely scenario will be the NRL will expand to 18 clubs and then just let the Sydney clubs fight among each other for a few years until 2 of them eventually fold due to lack of finances. By 2025 we'll be back to 16.

Pommy

Coach
If you go the geographical argument, roosters or Souths. Both lay claim to the east/south east corridor, but are pretty well boxed in outside of that

As i said the other week, the Souths ceo confirmed a few years ago that 80% of their members don’t even live in the south of Sydney any more

On that basis, it’s goodbye Souths

If they moved the dogs I’d understand as well. Don’t have a huge geographical space to lay claim to and don’t really have a sustainable/quality home ground option

It would possibly make sense if you didn’t have sharks sat right in the middle of the Dragons geographic area.

Diesel

Referee
f**k I hope it’s not the dogs , has to be manly surely ?, they aren’t that big of a club, Souths have fans all over the country, they could be an option, the roosters don’t really have many fans either.
Won’t be the Dogs, there’s already a Western Dogs in the fumbleball game. Won’t be Manly either

axl rose

Bench
Like most everything the NRL do it will be some half measure. If Saints go broke Greenburger will just 'relocate' them to the Gong full time. If its Tigers or Manly he might offer them the Central Coast. Balmain almost moved there in the early 90s anyway with the shifting demographics/soccerfication of Balmain.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I think the most likely scenario will be the NRL will expand to 18 clubs and then just let the Sydney clubs fight among each other for a few years until 2 of them eventually fold due to lack of finances. By 2025 we'll be back to 16.

What are the chance 2 collapse at once?

Are we willing to sit on an odd number for years? I think, once we go to 18, that will be the number. Any Sydney collapse will mean relocation, not reduction in numbers.

Diesel

Referee
Do NRL clubs have to apply for a licence for a set period of time, like a TV deal?
If so, are they automatically renewed when they expire.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Won’t be the Dogs, there’s already a Western Dogs in the fumbleball game. Won’t be Manly either
You're right about the Eagles not going over to Perth but the Bulldogs could as the Western Bulldogs in the AFL are from Western Melbourne. Mainly around the Weribee area. The Bulldogs would just have to be the Perth Bulldogs rather than Western Bulldogs for licensing/TM laws.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors

To be fair, I think this could happen "naturally" anyway with the addition of a Perth team. If the clubs have to fork out more money to fly west then some clubs won't be able to sustain it for much further into the future without help. This might be where you get your NZ2, Melb2, Adelaide, or whatever after.