What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Greenberg has pretty much said one Sydney team will be relocated.

rabbitohs

Juniors
EVERYONE???? You mean Kent, Ikin and the fun police here LOL. As if Perth want a relocated team.

I notice everlovin Ribot back on deck, claiming only one team is needed in Brisbane,and one in Perth and one in Adelaide.You wonder why things went A up, in 1995.He's still squirting in the Bronco's pockets.
The same Ribes stating ,ET was going to be on every billboard in China.

What if the 12 months investigation decides Perth numbers and finances and Tv deals don't stack up, just saying.Is it plan B?
What if hypothetically ,huge reduction in carbon emissions means huge unemployment in the next five to 10 years .Unemployment increase predictions have ranged up to an extra 336,000.It's a segment by some economist, not mine.
What if ch10 with their CBS backing, wants a slice of the action and 9 games per round fits the bill?

Sorry, should have been clearer.
Sharlks to Perth is what they WANT, not that its going to happen.

taipan

Referee
Sorry, should have been clearer.
Sharlks to Perth is what they WANT, not that its going to happen.

I'd accept it, if the club was in such financial dire consequences, that it was the only way out.
IMO every Sydney club has the opportunity to strengthen their position over the next two years, or else.

LineBall

Juniors
Also if the NRL is really serious about relocation I hope they don't try to continue with old brands. In my opinion it's much better to relocate the club, re-brand the club to represent the new market, but keep the old brand active in the old market as a reserves team with the old juniors system.

Knowing the NRL though they'll burn all their bridges on the way out if they relocate clubs.

Isn't that the whole point of relocation though? Keeping the same team colours, jersey etc, just playing in a different location. Surely re-branding with a completely new identity is just the same as killing off one team and replacing it with another.

Take North Sydney for example. Do you think if given the option of relocation, merging (which they did and failed) or being dropped from the competition altogether (which of course happened), what would they have chosen?

The Great Dane

First Grade
Isn't that the whole point of relocation though? Keeping the same team colours, jersey etc, just playing in a different location. Surely re-branding with a completely new identity is just the same as killing off one team and replacing it with another.

No not at all...

The point of relocation is to relocate the club (i.e. the business side of the team) and along with it the license to another market, whether or not the team re-brands or not has nothing to do with it.

Many of the most successful relocated clubs re-branded, the Houston Oilers became the Tennessee Titans, the original Cleveland Browns became the Baltimore Ravens, Charlotte Hornets - New Orleans Pelicans, etc, etc.

To be honest the ones that re-brand are successful more often then not and it probably has a lot to do with them re-branding, it probably stops the team from trying to have a finger in each pie (which outside of very specific cases never works) and forces them to fully commit to the new market.

Take North Sydney for example. Do you think if given the option of relocation, merging (which they did and failed) or being dropped from the competition altogether (which of course happened), what would they have chosen?

A lot of It depends on the details of each situation. For example if a merger that was completely in favour of the Bears (to the point of effectively being a hostile takeover like the Dragons "merger" with the Steelers) or relocating to Timbuktu were on the table then I think most would go for the prior over the later.

But as an ex/sort of still am Bears fan (it's complicated), and with hindsight now that the emotions of the situation have cooled, I would have preferred pretty much exactly what has happened over all of those options: Continue to exist as the North Sydney Bears but play in a lower tier competition, the only thing I would have done differently is seek a broadcaster willing to broadcast the teams matches, apart from that I think it's the best outcome (or it would be if it was handled properly).

tri_colours

Juniors
There're so many people out there that simply don't understand what relocation is an attempt to do...

Some variation of 'what you expect the fans to keep following the club once it's moved to the other side of the country' is always brought up, take Kimmorley in that clip that Tri_colours linked to for example, and I'm always like no you f**king idiot they don't expect you to keep following the club once it relocates, they're trying to bloody replace you.

I mean why is it so hard to understand that relocation is the process of moving a business from one market to another one where it's either going to be cheaper to operate or that is bigger and/or richer.

In the context of professional sports that means that when a team relocates basically what they are attempting to do is trade one fan base for a new one, which basically means they are trying to replace the old fan base with a newer and bigger and/or richer one.

Feel free to take your Raiders to Perth any time!

T-Boon

Coach
No doubt if you were starting a new NRL from scratch tomorrow the Roosters/Souths area would be occupied by one club.

Next to no chance they would ever relocate either of the two current clubs even though it makes the most sense.

Instead of giving up in the Eastern Suburbs the NRL should really be trying to expand there. Like try to find a club that fits the demographic there which the Roosters do not. They speak worse than most of the western sydney clubs. The Eastern Sydney club should be full of players that are going to Sydney University and who wear suits to the supermarket etc.

T-Boon

Coach
There're so many people out there that simply don't understand what relocation is an attempt to do...

Some variation of 'what you expect the fans to keep following the club once it's moved to the other side of the country' is always brought up, take Kimmorley in that clip that Tri_colours linked to for example, and I'm always like no you f**king idiot they don't expect you to keep following the club once it relocates, they're trying to bloody replace you.

I mean why is it so hard to understand that relocation is the process of moving a business from one market to another one where it's either going to be cheaper to operate or that is bigger and/or richer.

In the context of professional sports that means that when a team relocates basically what they are attempting to do is trade one fan base for a new one, which basically means they are trying to replace the old fan base with a newer and bigger and/or richer one.

Sydney teams have fans that don't live anywhere near the ground or district.
As an Eels fan I can say I would still follow the Eels if they relocated to Perth. I don't even like Parramatta as a town. Provided the club history and colours etc are retained I would stay on board.
If Parra relocated to Perth and called themselves the Western Eels and played 5 Sydney games a year at Bankwest I would get to more games than I currently do.

LineBall

Juniors
No not at all...

The point of relocation is to relocate the club (i.e. the business side of the team) and along with it the license to another market, whether or not the team re-brands or not has nothing to do with it.

Many of the most successful relocated clubs re-branded, the Houston Oilers became the Tennessee Titans, the original Cleveland Browns became the Baltimore Ravens, Charlotte Hornets - New Orleans Pelicans, etc, etc.

To be honest the ones that re-brand are successful more often then not and it probably has a lot to do with them re-branding, it probably stops the team from trying to have a finger in each pie (which outside of very specific cases never works) and forces them to fully commit to the new market.

A lot of It depends on the details of each situation. For example if a merger that was completely in favour of the Bears (to the point of effectively being a hostile takeover like the Dragons "merger" with the Steelers) or relocating to Timbuktu were on the table then I think most would go for the prior over the later.

But as an ex/sort of still am Bears fan (it's complicated), and with hindsight now that the emotions of the situation have cooled, I would have preferred pretty much exactly what has happened over all of those options: Continue to exist as the North Sydney Bears but play in a lower tier competition, the only thing I would have done differently is seek a broadcaster willing to broadcast the teams matches, apart from that I think it's the best outcome (or it would be if it was handled properly).

I think we differ on what our definition of 'relocation' is. In its simplest form, at least to me, it means taking an existing team, keeping everything that makes them identifiable, retaining their history,and giving them a different home. I'm not saying this is right, but that's my thoughts when somebody says relocation.

I understand that others may take the alternative view that a team's identity and relocation don't have to be in lockstep with each other. However, I think if this happens, it is more likely to be perceived as the end of one team, and the birth of something new.

Last edited:

King hit

Coach
Something I'm really concerned about relocating teams is what kind of backlash will the NRL get from it from the fans of that club and what sort of bad publicity it will get. There is a lot of history behind the clubs in Sydney so dumping one could get really messy. Cronulla or the Wests Tigers is who I'd think they would relocate.

Diesel

Referee
Something I'm really concerned about relocating teams is what kind of backlash will the NRL get from it from the fans of that club and what sort of bad publicity it will get. There is a lot of history behind the clubs in Sydney so dumping one could get really messy. Cronulla or the Wests Tigers is who I'd think they would relocate.
Which makes me think a smaller club will be forced out, less fans to upset.

Diesel

Referee
Tigers and Dragons should both be safe since they bit the bullet 20 years ago with the last BS criteria.

What happened with the criteria set in 1998/99 was abysmal