What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Greenberg has pretty much said one Sydney team will be relocated.

MugaB

Coach
Still think toddy greenburger is looking to move on Manly, and leave the north of sydney for Sydney Sombrero Roosters to take as a part of their catchment, aswell as adding brisbane2 and perth and a possible Nz2

Shark62

Juniors
Still think toddy greenburger is looking to move on Manly, and leave the north of sydney for Sydney Sombrero Roosters to take as a part of their catchment, aswell as adding brisbane2 and perth and a possible Nz2
Who knows what they are thinking? I’d be happy to see two Sydney clubs fold by natural attrition and for Perth and Brisbane to be added ASAP. I don’t think the former will happen and that delays the latter.

Stallion

First Grade
Who knows what they are thinking? I’d be happy to see two Sydney clubs fold by natural attrition and for Perth and Brisbane to be added ASAP. I don’t think the former will happen and that delays the latter.

Reckless thinking and disrespect for this very envied and well established competition? We have seen this destructive discourse before! Don't think you have come in as 'innocently ' as you have described! That's for sure.

taipan

Referee

IMO with no team in the Northern Suburbs ,I doubt Manly would be moved.

Cdd

Juniors
Nobody has to be moved if they’re all bringing in huge numbers to games and making revenue off the back of it.

If they don’t, then they’ll move. It’s as simple as that.

Perth and Brisbane 2 are worth far more to broadcasters than any single Sydney team. That will be the biggest pull in the end.

Ideally we’d keep every Sydney team because they’re all successful off the field but we know that isn’t the case.

22 team comp with Perth, Brisbane 2, NZ 2, Central Coast, Central Queensland and Hobart.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nobody has to be moved if they’re all bringing in huge numbers to games and making revenue off the back of it.

If they don’t, then they’ll move. It’s as simple as that.

Perth and Brisbane 2 are worth far more to broadcasters than any single Sydney team. That will be the biggest pull in the end.

Ideally we’d keep every Sydney team because they’re all successful off the field but we know that isn’t the case.

22 team comp with Perth, Brisbane 2, NZ 2, Central Coast, Central Queensland and Hobart.

Great in theory but game can’t afford it. I reckon we will expand to 18 for value of the extra content then future expansion will happen if and when a Sydney club gets in strife, could be a long time before we see a club in Adelaide or nz2 I suspect.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Growing up in the northwest suburbs - I had no connection with any local team. Not Parra, not Norths, and certainly not effin Manly. Balmain maybe

taipan

Referee
Problem is manly aren’t really fulfilling what the nrl needs in the northern suburbs, in fact far from it. I do agree we need a strong club covering the north but manlynare t it and don’t show any signs they ever will be.

ATM that is correct.But if they can actuality get their sh*t together and get a couple of decent grandstands and get the council to drop their ridiculous rental fee, they will be in a far stronger position than they are.

What worries me so far in 2019 , if the 3 Qld NRL clubs continue to play like has beens and crowds drop,and the fumble ball clubs there continue to do well, it will not be helpful for arguing expansion there.

taipan

Referee
Growing up in the northwest suburbs - I had no connection with any local team. Not Parra, not Norths, and certainly not effin Manly. Balmain maybe

I grew up in friggin Vaucluse(well for the first 5 years of my life),and I don't like sombreros, bandanas,lattes.
I have as much affinity with that area as I do with Istanbul.

Perth Red

Post Whore
ATM that is correct.But if they can actuality get their sh*t together and get a couple of decent grandstands and get the council to drop their ridiculous rental fee, they will be in a far stronger position than they are.

What worries me so far in 2019 , if the 3 Qld NRL clubs continue to play like has beens and crowds drop,and the fumble ball clubs there continue to do well, it will not be helpful for arguing expansion there.

Hopefully they will wake up to the fact they can’t stay restricted to their current catchment but the signs aren’t good. Maybe Todd is Sabre rattling to try and get clubs to wake up?

They won’t make a long term expansion decision based on one season. I do t see anything in Q’land that would suggest a second Brisbane club won’t have the potential to be in the top 4 clubs on and off the field in the nrl within a few years. Storm might actually suffer the most.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
How about you stop adding to the BS with this commentary and post about expansion? Novel idea in these threads these days I know!

Anyway back to expansion!

Seems there may be battle for the second expansion spot between a second NZ team and a Perth team. Will be interested to see if the NRL is sold on one over the other or if they will open it up to competitive bids. Not sure I agree with this article that because the Warriors haven't won anything it should discount a second NZ team.

https://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/durkin-head-west-not-east-to-expand/3684309/

The article is behind a paywall but I think the NRL would be crazy not to go with Perth and Brisbane 2. I'm all for NZ 2 but I think it is a clear third priority and I think before the entry of that team, more local development work needs to be done in NZ and on the domestic league and pathways in particular.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The article is behind a paywall but I think the NRL would be crazy not to go with Perth and Brisbane 2. I'm all for NZ 2 but I think it is a clear third priority and I think before the entry of that team, more local development work needs to be done in NZ and on the domestic league and pathways in particular.

I'm not sure the talent depth is an issue in NZ, look at how many kiwis come over to Australia for a shot at NRL and make it. You could probably make two new clubs out of Kiwis playing in Australian or SL clubs. Of more worry for the NRL would be financial viability and value to future revenue. Most of the cities outside of Auckland are reasonably small and their Union clubs are struggling so not sure how that bodes for a league club. I suspect the NRL may also be concerned that if you took the NZ talent out of the Australian clubs it would weaken the comp overall.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I'm not sure the talent depth is an issue in NZ, look at how many kiwis come over to Australia for a shot at NRL and make it. You could probably make two new clubs out of Kiwis playing in Australian or SL clubs. Of more worry for the NRL would be financial viability and value to future revenue. Most of the cities outside of Auckland are reasonably small and their Union clubs are struggling so not sure how that bodes for a league club. I suspect the NRL may also be concerned that if you took the NZ talent out of the Australian clubs it would weaken the comp overall.

Definately not an issue with talent out of NZ. I was more concerned about getting the domestic structure in place so that there are better pathways from all areas of NZ to the NRL and then when the base is set, put the second NRL team in place with maybe a third one playing out of the NSW / QLD cup to offer another stepping stone.

adamkungl

Immortal
Re: NZ2 and/or 3.

Lets look at Super Rugby as a starting point.
Dunedin, Christchurch, and Wellington are all cities smaller in population than Canberra and Newcastle, but manage to support Super Rugby teams, and draw crowds similar to Sydney NRL levels, around 15,000 average give or take a bit.

But with Rugby League having a lower profile and infrastructure in NZ and Rugby Union soaking up likely the majority of sponsorship and funding opportunities, matching this is obviously impossible.

A 3 club solution would be great,
with
Warriors representing Auckland and surrounds,
Orcas representing the Wellington and lower North Island,
and Keas representing the South Island based in Christchurch and Dunedin.

But if only 1 is likely in the forseeable future, some kind of split between Wellington, Christchurch and Dunedin might be the go. Or pick 1 or 2, depending on the funding available

Stallion

First Grade
About time we had some positive chatter! Well done. I looked at a union game on the weekend in Christchurch. The Manly game in Christchurch had a bigger turnout.

Shark62

Juniors
Re: NZ2 and/or 3.

Lets look at Super Rugby as a starting point.
Dunedin, Christchurch, and Wellington are all cities smaller in population than Canberra and Newcastle, but manage to support Super Rugby teams, and draw crowds similar to Sydney NRL levels, around 15,000 average give or take a bit.

But with Rugby League having a lower profile and infrastructure in NZ and Rugby Union soaking up likely the majority of sponsorship and funding opportunities, matching this is obviously impossible.

A 3 club solution would be great,
with
Warriors representing Auckland and surrounds,
Orcas representing the Wellington and lower North Island,
and Keas representing the South Island based in Christchurch and Dunedin.

But if only 1 is likely in the forseeable future, some kind of split between Wellington, Christchurch and Dunedin might be the go. Or pick 1 or 2, depending on the funding available
You’ve just received some very positive feedback for your positivity. That has to be positive! :joy:

Latest posts