What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Lowrie

ParraDude_Jay said:
Anyone who ever wondered why Eels fans get referred to as fairweather fans, there's your answer! I hope you're taking the piss with that post.
Mate if they expect me to pay my money on gear and game tickets they besy pick up thier act in the front office. We need to replace the players that have gorn with talent and we have missed the boat!
I have been thinking about joining the football club and driving all the way down for the AGM to give them a piece of my mind.
I sell NRL gear and I'm not the only feed up with the front office goings on with this club.
I can not see how the players can turn up drunk to training and still have a job, that was a disgrace in any other job it would have been instant dismissal. So now he's back in 1st grade after his little slap on the wrist as if nothing happened.
And our player retaintion as mentioned before is the worst in the NRL.
Signings are not looking good this year but in the past have been pretty good but we have had Smithy here to do that and now our coach for next year is coaching elsewhere and would not have the time to take players round and show them training and tell them the plans for next year etc.
We have some good players at the club but Wade, Johnny, deano, morro etc are huge losses and ones we won't cover with a lower graders or TODD BLOODY LOWRIE!

Bazal

Post Whore
parra-matters said:
Mate if they expect me to pay my money on gear and game tickets they besy pick up thier act in the front office. We need to replace the players that have gorn with talent and we have missed the boat!
I have been thinking about joining the football club and driving all the way down for the AGM to give them a piece of my mind.
I sell NRL gear and I'm not the only feed up with the front office goings on with this club.
I can not see how the players can turn up drunk to training and still have a job, that was a disgrace in any other job it would have been instant dismissal. So now he's back in 1st grade after his little slap on the wrist as if nothing happened.
And our player retaintion as mentioned before is the worst in the NRL.
Signings are not looking good this year but in the past have been pretty good but we have had Smithy here to do that and now our coach for next year is coaching elsewhere and would not have the time to take players round and show them training and tell them the plans for next year etc.
We have some good players at the club but Wade, Johnny, deano, morro etc are huge losses and ones we won't cover with a lower graders or TODD BLOODY LOWRIE!

Don't be ridiculous mate! Sure those blokes are all big losses but how can you say that Hayne, Green, Lowrie etc are not going to be able to replace them? They are all young kids with plenty of promise. Remember an untested kid called Andrew Johns? Or one called Darren Lockyer? Nathan Hindmarsh? Wade McKinnon himself? Dean Widders himself? Hell, FuiFui MoiMoi, Greg Inglis, Tim Smith, Ben Smith? Players have to start somewhere mate, even Andrew Johns was once an untested rookie!

The point of all that is that just because a guy is untested or young doesn't make him any worse than an established player. All these young blokes have the potential to be something special, just look at Jarryd Hayne, he is already near as good as McKinnon. It may not be next year, but these kids all have the ability to step up and be as good, or even in some cases better, than the guys they are replacing.

Bigfella

Coach
Hauraki was also linked to the Storm, and he, Cannings and Cordoba, along with Lowrie, certianly strengthen our forward depth.

Lowrie strengthens our depth, fair enough.

But re-signing players who are already here, with the loss of Stringer Morrison and Widders, cannot strengthen our depth.

It may consolidate our existing position but it doesn't add anything yet I'm afraid.

Still much more to be done.And yes, I am sure it is being done...

Bazal

Post Whore
Bigfella said:
Lowrie strengthens our depth, fair enough.

But re-signing players who are already here, with the loss of Stringer Morrison and Widders, cannot strengthen our depth.

It may consolidate our existing position but it doesn't add anything yet I'm afraid.

Still much more to be done.And yes, I am sure it is being done...

Yeah I worded that poorly. I meant that our depth with those re-signings is stronger than it would be had they left the club. Lowrie strengthens that even more.

Suitman

Post Whore
Bazal said:
Hauraki was also linked to the Storm, and he, Cannings and Cordoba, along with Lowrie, certianly strengthen our forward depth.

How can keeping what we already have strengthen our forward depth.

As I said, I feel the same as this morning.

Suity

Hurriflatch

Referee
Gotta agree with Suity Cannings, Cordoba and Weller are all here this year so it's not strengthing the forward depth it's mearly preventing it from being further diminished

Bazal

Post Whore
Suitman said:
How can keeping what we already have strengthen our forward depth.

As I said, I feel the same as this morning.

Suity

Read the post above yours....;-)

Hurriflatch

Referee
Bazal said:
Yeah I worded that poorly. I meant that our depth with those re-signings is stronger than it would be had they left the club. Lowrie strengthens that even more.

but with the non-signing (at this stage) of any better players the likes of Weller, Azza etc are no longer depth players they are now starters due to Morro, Widders, Stringer etc leaving.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Take the 2nd row as an example

1. Hindy
2. Morro
3. Robbo
4. Widders
5. Wagon
6. H.Perenara
7. Taia
8. Hauraki

1. Hindy
2. Robbo
3. Wagon
4. Taia
5. Hauraki

Bazal

Post Whore
Hurriflatch said:
but with the non-signing (at this stage) of any better players the likes of Weller, Azza etc are no longer depth players they are now starters due to Morro, Widders, Stringer etc leaving.

I can't say I seriously believe that these will be our only signings. Just because we haven't signed anyone yet doesn't mean we won't at all. Cannings may be a starter, as may Lowrie, Cordoba is already. But to be honest we will probably have more signings, and these guys will be there for depth.

Hurriflatch

Referee
The thing is there is no one better left

so even if Cannings himself doesn't play the person who does will be no better.

Bazal

Post Whore
Hurriflatch said:
The thing is there is no one better left

so even if Cannings himself doesn't play the person who does will be no better.

I agree it's not looking too good, but there are still some ok signings to be had IMO...I'd like, for example, to see a squad like this....

1-Jarryd HAYNE
2-John WILLIAMS/Luke BURT
3-Ben SMITH
4-Timana TAHU
5-Eric GROTHE
6-Blake GREEN
7-Tim SMITH
8-Nathan CAYLESS
9-Mark RIDDELL
10-FuiFui MOIMOI
11-Nathan HINDMARSH
12-Nate MYLES
13-Chad ROBINSON

14-PJ MARSH
15-Todd LOWRIE/Zeb TAIA
16-Hutch MAIAVA
17-Josh CORDOBA/Michael VELLA

That's not a bad squad IMO and all those players are still a chance of signing with us. As long as they are on the market they are always a chance, however slim. I may be wrong but as far as I know the following forwards are still on the market....

Matt Bickerstaff (Dragons), Awen Guttenbeil (Warriors), Sam Isemonger (Dragons), Matt Hilder (Sharks), Terry Martin (Raiders), Dallas McIlwain (Bulldogs), Mark Minichiello (Souths), Brad Morrin (Bulldogs), Nate Myles (Bulldogs), Nigel Plum (Roosters), Shane Rigon (Souths), Alan Rothery (Raiders), David Stagg (Broncos), Mark Bryant (Manly), Hutch Maiava (Sharks), Manase Manuokafoa (Souths), Adam Peek (Eels),James Stosic (Sharks), Richard Villasanti (Sharks).

There are somne pretty decent players there IMO and you can be sure management will be making a few offers. There is still a long way to go in this season, and a lot of 2007 signings to be made.

scottyeel

Bench
Newcastle's Lowrie signs with Eels
Tuesday Jul 4 19:00 AEST
Newcastle backrower Todd Lowrie has announced he will join Parramatta next year on a three-year NRL deal.

Lowrie will play his 52nd first-grade game for Newcastle this weekend against his future club when the Knights travel to Parramatta Stadium.

"I'm disappointed to be leaving Newcastle and I'll miss my friends and team mates, but I've accepted my future is elsewhere and I'm excited about the challenges ahead," Lowrie said in a statement.

"The Knights have a surplus of backrowers so I'm going to a club where I have the chance to cement my preferred position."

Knights chief executive Ken Conway said salary cap restrictions had again forced a local product to leave.

"It's always disappointing to lose local juniors due to salary cap restrictions but we're not in the business of holding back our players from making the most of opportunities," Conway said.

"We felt obliged to repay Todd's service to the club by allowing him to field other offers.

"It's unfortunate but we were unable to match Parramatta."

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=73367