What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Payten

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Is there another front rower as big as Payten with such excellent ball skills?

Alot of people, particularily Canberra supporters (Raider_69) bagged us when we signed him, saying he was unfit, overweight, slow and made no metres.

Well he makes plenty of metres, is one of the best defenders in our side and has the ball skills of a five eighth. :D

Very underrated player IMO.

skeepe

Immortal
I've always thought that Payten would be a very good player if he had a better attitude. When he was at Canberra, he had some great games but they were few and far between, not to mention the documented problems with his fluctuating weight... too many Big Macs I believe.

It looks like Tim Sheens was the man to get the best out of Todd, and good luck to him. I honestly believe though that if there were any other coach at the Tigers right now, Payten would have been remembered as nothing more than wasted potential.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
skeepe said:
I honestly believe though that if there were any other coach at the Tigers right now, Payten would have been remembered as nothing more than wasted potential.

Perhaps you are right.

I remember him being a very slow starter and after an injury it takes him a little longer to get back to his best.

Last year and this year though, he has really matured into a quality player.

cainen

Juniors
Matt Cross has similar ball skills. And yesterday he chased down Justin Hodges :lol:

About the only positive to come out of the game for us..

Raider_69

Post Whore
he was piss poor at canberra and the roosters, struggled with weight, couldnt be effective past a 5 minute burst and quite often had a massive brain explosion which cost his team, terrible attitude aswell as skeepe eluded too

im happy to say that Tim Sheens seems to have released the enormus potential he has always posessed, that sadly mal, elliott or sticky could get from him.

BTW JM, quote me once where ive said i dont rate johns as a player? If you cant, then stop talking sh*te, i know your good at it but it embarasses the rest of us.

Johns Magic

Referee
Raider_69 said:
he was piss poor at canberra and the roosters, struggled with weight, couldnt be effective past a 5 minute burst and quite often had a massive brain explosion which cost his team, terrible attitude aswell as skeepe eluded too

im happy to say that Tim Sheens seems to have released the enormus potential he has always posessed, that sadly mal, elliott or sticky could get from him.

BTW JM, quote me once where ive said i dont rate johns as a player? If you cant, then stop talking sh*te, i know your good at it but it embarasses the rest of us.

You've said many times that you believe Johns is grossly overrated, and that he isn't the best player in the competition by a long way.

If you think I'm going to disect your 35,000 posts of crap to find a quote then you're kidding yourself.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Johns Magic said:
You've said many times that you believe Johns is grossly overrated, and that he isn't the best player in the competition by a long way.

If you think I'm going to disect your 35,000 posts of crap to find a quote then you're kidding yourself.

saying he is over-rated by the media and knights fans thinking and that he is not the greatest of all time is a far sight different from saying "i dont rate him"

i know your a simpleton so ill go easy, one suggests that i dont think he is AS good as he is made out, one suggests i dont think he is good full stop... ill leave it to you to figure out one from the other :) And if your not willing to quote me, then dont put words in my mouth, very simple solution :)

dubby

Bench
Don't waste your breath R69. Newcastle fans are known to bite at the name of Johns said in the same sentence as over-rated.
Fact is, Johns is a great player. Fact is , the media have over sensationalised him to the point it annoys everyone except Newcastle.
They are still trying to learn to win without him though!:p

colonel_123

Juniors
Todd's benefitting from the style of attacking football Wests play in that he's encouraged to use his natural ball skills and run and pass before the line.

While he has had some great games in which he can make alot of metres he's not being asked to tuck it under his wing and run for 120 metres a game, and I think last season his average was around 80 metres a game which is pretty low for a starting front rower.

He's also benefitting from having work horses like John Skandalis and Anthony Laffranchi in the side, two players who can play for plenty of hit ups and average over 100 metres every game, which lets Payten play his natural game.

I do think that as good as his ball skills are Payten's greatest asset to the team is his defence, he's as solid as a rock out in the middle.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Raider_69 said:

Au contraire. Todd was very impressive during his short stay in the Red, White and Blue. He made a solid impact off the bench in the games he played.

Many Roosters fans were very disappointed that we 'had' to let him go. He and Cusack are two very underrated props who we could really do with right now.

westie

Bench
It would never be done. But Todd wouldn't be out of place in the test team. There isn't one player in the NRL that I would have more confidence in to bring down the big Kiwi front rowers every single time than Sayten.

Rise Against

Steve price was absolutely sensational in his last year at the dogs

he set up so many tries with his offloads and short balls to the line. IMO far better than Payten any day of the week

Mr Saab

Referee
westie said:
It would never be done. But Todd wouldn't be out of place in the test team. There isn't one player in the NRL that I would have more confidence in to bring down the big Kiwi front rowers every single time than Sayten.

Alot of players wouldnt look out of place in the test team, but he isnt going to be a test player.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Rise Against said:
Steve price was absolutely sensational in his last year at the dogs

he set up so many tries with his offloads and short balls to the line. IMO far better than Payten any day of the week
Who compared him to Price?