What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tom Brady retires

Last Week

Bench
The greatest NFL player of all time is calling it a career.

Tom Brady is retiring after 22 years in the NFL, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Saturday.

ESPN first reported the news.

The 44-year-old walks away after the most prolific career in football history.

Brady was famously selected in the sixth round of the 2000 NFL Draft, 199th overall by the New England Patriots. Sporting an unparalleled competitive drive, the QB used that draft status to fuel his Hall of Fame career.

Brady took over as the full-time starter in New England during his second NFL season, and the rest, as they say, is history.

TB12 walks away with a trophy case overflowing with awards.

Brady ends his career as a seven-time Super Bowl champion, three-time NFL MVP, five-time Super Bowl MVP, two-time NFL Offensive Player of the Year, three-time first-team All-Pro honoree, three-time second-team All-Pro, 15-time Pro Bowler and 2009 Comeback Player of the Year winner. He was named to the NFL's 2000s All-Decade Team, the 2010s All-Decade Team and the NFL's 100th Anniversary All-Time Team.

It might be easier to list the quarterbacking records Brady doesn't own at this point.

The G.O.A.T. ranks No. 1 in NFL history in completions (7,263), pass attempts (11,317), yards (84,520), pass TDs (624), starts (316), QB wins (243), Pro Bowl nods (15), and Super Bowl MVPs (5). In addition, Brady led the NFL in TD passes five times (2002, 2007, 2010, 2015, 2021), most such seasons by any player in NFL history.

If an athlete's legacy is evaluated by postseason performances, not a single football player can hold a candle to Brady. No QB comes remotely close to his playoff success. In his 22-year career, Brady made 19 appearances, started 47 games, earned 35 wins, 10 Super Bowl appearances, 7 Super Bowl wins, 1,165 postseason completions, 13,049 postseason pass yards, 86 postseason passing TDs, 14 game-winning drives, and nine 4th quarter comebacks, all most in NFL history.

No player in league history has defined winning like Thomas Edward Patrick Brady Jr.

A slow, famously doughy quarterback coming out of the University of Michigan, Brady's tenacity and drive to win chiseled him into the greatest player in the NFL. He might not have been the most athletically gifted ever to set foot on the gridiron, but no player worked harder before the snap or controlled the game mentally like Brady. As a result, the sage QB often won a play before the ball was even snapped.

That's not to suggest Brady didn't possess other-worldly talent as well. Throughout his career, he defied pass rushers with the most subtle pocket movement that gave him just enough space to complete the pass -- a trait that frustrated defenders for two decades. Moreover, he never lost the pinpoint accuracy that defined his career. And his deep ball was just as pretty when he was lighting up the scoreboard to Randy Moss as it was on the final TD pass of his career -- a gorgeous 55-yarder to Mike Evans.

Brady was a winner from start to finish. His worst record as a starter was 9-7, in just his third year in the NFL. For his career, he's gone 243-73-0 with the Patriots and Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

A 20-year career in New England brought Brady six Super Bowls and the G.O.A.T. title. TB12 and Bill Belichick formed the most successful QB-coach duo in the Super Bowl era.

But after the 2019 season, Brady set out to prove he could still win outside of New England.

Prove it, he did.

A free agent for the first time in his career, Brady signed in Tampa Bay in 2020. He immediately turned a talented but flawed club, which hadn't been to the postseason in 12 seasons, into a winner. Brady led the Bucs to a Super Bowl championship in his first season in Tampa. The victory washed away any questions about whether TB12 was simply a byproduct of Belichick's system and cemented his status as the G.O.A.T.

Brady often discussed his desire to play until he was 45. He retires one year short of that stated goal.

At 44 years old, Brady displayed zero signs of decline in 2021 as he led the NFL in passing yards (5,316), pass TDs (43) and completions (485). Brady also spearheaded the Bucs to their first NFC South division title since 2007 despite a rash of injuries across the roster. The G.O.A.T. nearly drove the Bucs to a miraculous playoff comeback win, surging from a 27-3 deficit to tie the game in the fourth quarter Sunday against the Los Angeles Rams in the Divisional Round. But a late defensive collapse opened the door for L.A. to kick a game-winning field goal in what ends up Brady's final NFL game.

Many QBs fall off a cliff late in their careers. Not Brady.

The man who stiff-armed Father Time his entire career once again got the last laugh as he walks away still at the top of his game, on his own terms.

Last Week

Bench
Say what you want about Tom. He's started 20 seasons, made the superbowl in 10 of them, won 7 rings. After being drafted 199th. And he retired in his last season after being a contender for MVP.

He is the greatest player of all time.

shiznit

Coach
The G.O.A.T for sure… anyone who says otherwise is just being a hater… 😂😂

An absurdly long career…. I’ve seen so many funny crazy length of career comparisons like this…

0FF89D37-2F34-4CF2-9742-D7EA2D506645.jpeg

the one that gets me… when he began his career in the NFL I was in Year 12 in High School… when he retires my eldest child is in Year 12 in High School… 😳😳

Edit: Hmmmm…. They may have jumped the gun… 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

jaseg

Juniors
Signing bonus can be claimed back on a prorata basis in the case of retirement (see: Johnson, Calvin - for only a tenth of what this is worth because lol Lions) so that doesn't mean much if the Bucs want to take it - $16m worth, apparently, so they actually might do it given it is substantial and does have a significant effect on the cap (rather than just being petty dopes like the Lions).

Looks like someone suggested to Schefter/La Canfora that Tom might be leaning that way and they've just run with it... too early, before the decision has actually been made. lol

18to87

First Grade
All seems a bit confusing since he said he would wait until after the Superbowl so he isn't a distraction.

Wizardman

First Grade
The Michael Myers of the NFL. The guy that just kept coming....opposition teams have never felt safe with this guy at the other end until the full time siren.
The majority of hate for this guy is jealousy. He'll be remembered as the QB who performed on the biggest stages and when it mattered most.

Parra

Referee
On top of everything he achieved, signing with the Bucs and getting a SB with them was incredible.

18to87

First Grade
The Michael Myers of the NFL. The guy that just kept coming....opposition teams have never felt safe with this guy at the other end until the full time siren.
The majority of hate for this guy is jealousy. He'll be remembered as the QB who performed on the biggest stages and when it mattered most.
I've been a Brady hater, but I do agree with this since he won a SB with the Bucs. I have finally caved and acknowledge him as the GOAT. However...

I could rant about Spygate and Deflategate, but something that Brady had the luxury of throughout his Patriots career was the cushion to not play very well in the playoffs and still win. I'll also throw out there that he was 1-5 vs the Manning brothers "when it mattered most". Call it jealously if you want, but good luck finding a SB winning QB that has had his credibility questioned as much as Brady.

shiznit

Coach
I've been a Brady hater, but I do agree with this since he won a SB with the Bucs. I have finally caved and acknowledge him as the GOAT. However...

I could rant about Spygate and Deflategate, but something that Brady had the luxury of throughout his Patriots career was the cushion to not play very well in the playoffs and still win. I'll also throw out there that he was 1-5 vs the Manning brothers "when it mattered most". Call it jealously if you want, but good luck finding a SB winning QB that has had his credibility questioned as much as Brady.
Er?? To most people ‘When it matters most’ is when both teams season is on the line… ie a play off game…

and without googling I’m pretty sure it ain’t 1-5… 😂😂

Edit - Actually your right… 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

that shocks me a fair bit…

18to87

First Grade
Er?? To most people ‘When it matters most’ is when both teams season is on the line… ie a play off game…

and without googling I’m pretty sure it ain’t 1-5… 😂😂

Edit - Actually your right… 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

that shocks me a fair bit…
And the one loss was a game in Foxboro that changed the NFL forever: https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/they-called-it-ty-law-rule-and-was-ok-him

“This was probably the most simple game plan we had,” (Ty) Law said after the game. “Just beat them up.”

Perth Red

Post Whore
Been a Pats fan since we got mullered by the Bears in SBXX. Many many lean years before the GOAT got an amazing one in a million chance at the starting spot and made it his own. Been blessed to have had such success with Tom leading the team, then he capped it by showing how good he really was by winning it with the bog avg Bucs. There can be no doubt he is the greatest QB of all time and to have had him play for my team just made it all the sweeter!

Been lucky to have had Brady make my AF team special, C Smith making my NRL team special, now just need someone to lead my SL team to glory and I can die happy :)

beave

Coach
Been a Pats fan since we got mullered by the Bears in SBXX. Many many lean years before the GOAT got an amazing one in a million chance at the starting spot and made it his own. Been blessed to have had such success with Tom leading the team, then he capped it by showing how good he really was by winning it with the bog avg Bucs. There can be no doubt he is the greatest QB of all time and to have had him play for my team just made it all the sweeter!

Been lucky to have had Brady make my AF team special, C Smith making my NRL team special, now just need someone to lead my SL team to glory and I can die happy :)

Bog average Bucs bahaha.

If we were bog average last year, what does that make the rest of the league? He just showed he didn't need Bellichick and probably should have made the move somewhere else's couple of years earlier.

nick87

Coach
Christ... he's going to f**king come back isnt he?

Wonder where... the niners seem like the best spot for him in terms of trying to win another ring
Maybe a final season with the Broncos? Or Raiders with Josh McD?

18to87

First Grade
Christ... he's going to f**king come back isnt he?

Wonder where... the niners seem like the best spot for him in terms of trying to win another ring
Maybe a final season with the Broncos? Or Raiders with Josh McD?
Arians has denied a rift, but the Raiders would be an interesting spot!