What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tomikins confirmed today?

jaseg

Juniors
Perhaps...

Townsend in the Vulcans (obviously - he doesn't look near ready enough to be a first team player, but a solid backup and development option), Fish on the wing, Tomkins at fullback, TL&SJ starting halves, Friend at hooker, Locke on the bench (either as an impact running rake, covering the backs and/or slotting into the halves with TL moving to dummy half).

I really believe Locke would make a very good 6. His best attacking football often comes playing at second receiver, he played there as a young'un and IMO his defence is up to playing up in the line. He would probably need some time though..

Fast Eddie

First Grade
I really believe Locke would make a very good 6. His best attacking football often comes playing at second receiver, he played there as a young'un and IMO his defence is up to playing up in the line. He would probably need some time though..

Really? I've always thought that where the big gap is between him and the top fullbacks, his work at creating play coming in at 2nd receiver or later n the backline.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
I thought that signing Tomkins would mean locke or Tomkins to 6, Leuluai to 9 and we would release friend. When Friend signed on I took that as a "Oh, sam isn't coming now".

I don't know how we will fit him unless Someone goes.

Well maybe put at that ....they didnt really need him (friend)
But he proved he is still got another year in him.

And they got him at a steal...bargain price.
They couldnt turn him down.

They might still have friend playiing vulcans.
Its not definant that he will be playing topside.

hitman82

Bench
Friend is not a lock-in for the NRL side. If Townsend proves himself, or Locke goes well at half in trials, or even if they use Tomkins in the halves... Leuluai could very well end up as our hooker.
TL goes well at half but at hooker would mean we have another kicking / playmaking option in the spine, and TL can level props on D where Friend (and I like Friend) tends to get dragged along.
If we do end up with a 9 Leuluai and 13 Mannering / Henry / Bukuya we are going to be a shitload more dominant in defense. ATM we are the easy-metres club of the NRL... and a huge part of this is our non-dominant lock+hooker.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Townsend isn't near NRL-ready, imo.

From the little I've seen I don't think he is far off. Gotta remember he only gets very limited/sporadic opportunities to play FG, which is pretty hard for a young half.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Well maybe put at that ....they didnt really need him (friend)
But he proved he is still got another year in him.

And they got him at a steal...bargain price.
They couldnt turn him down.

They might still have friend playiing vulcans.
Its not definant that he will be playing topside.

Yeah to me it looked like they realised early on they weren't going to keep him so made signings that suited that, and then it came clear how he really wanted to stay and could be kept on a cheap deal. I think he will probably end up starting for us again but I would much rather Leuluai at hooker. I think Friend has to be phased out.

jaseg

Juniors
Really? I've always thought that where the big gap is between him and the top fullbacks, his work at creating play coming in at 2nd receiver or later n the backline.

We are going to be very much opposed on this :) - I've always considered his biggest weaknesses being his lack of positioning on attack (to back up the play / sniff around the edges) and perhaps also taking the high ball under pressure. Locke didn't necessarily start his NRL career as a particularly good 2nd receiver, but tbh his game has moved in that direction.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Yeah we will have to agree to disagree on that because I just don't see it. I don't think it's the worst part of his game, I just think it stands out as a big reason that separates someone like Locke from the top 3-4 fullbacks.

I guess it may not be as a bigger issue when we have Tomkins chiming in from the back. Tomkins creating plays for outside backs a few passes wide will be invaluable. We just need to get him decent ball first. The likes of Hurrell and Vatuvei could have a field day outside of Tomkins.

Last edited:

vvvrulz

Coach
I've always considered his biggest weaknesses being his lack of positioning on attack (to back up the play / sniff around the edges) and perhaps also taking the high ball under pressure.

Strange, I regard fielding the high ball one of Locke's strengths. Agree on him not backing up on play though, you would think he would be charging behind Mateo all the time.

Diesel

Referee
When does Hayne's contract with Parra end? The Dogs seem keen on him so IF Locke goes would he only play for one year contracts?

shiznit

Coach
Hayne isn't going anywhere...

He's contracted until the end of 2015.

No get out clauses in his contract.

Personally, I think hopoate is a better chance of being at the dogs next year than hayne or Locke. The eels know full well that if they lose hayne they may as well shut their doors

shiznit

Coach
Personally, I think hopoate is a better chance of being at the dogs next year than hayne or Locke. The eels know full well that if they lose hayne they may as well shut their doors
Hoppa wont be going... His get out clause related to mooks.

Mooks left the club over a year ago and he's continued to receive payment from the club.

If he decided to use the get out clause after collecting a years payments that would be in incredibly bad faith.

I'm sure his agent will know this...

hitman82

Bench
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/ru...ns-is-quids-in-as-highest-paid-British-player
Tomkins’ move to New Zealand Warriors will pocket him more than £400,000 a year – before sponsorship deals.

The worst-kept secret in the game will finally be announced by Wigan early this week.

He has been linked with the Warriors all summer but the deal was only sewn up a month ago.

Salford owner Marwan Koukash tried to lure England fullback Tomkins, 24, to the Reds with a mega-bucks deal.

And several Australian clubs were also interested in snapping up Super League’s biggest star.

shiznit

Coach
Yeah... I was told by someone who's usually on the money that this is gonna be announced in the next 24-48hrs