What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tomikins confirmed today?

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Sad to see him go, but it's the best for everyone concerned.

We have Fish as back up for FB and Locke leaving will allow us to re-sign guys off contract as well as keep an extra slot open for the NYC outside backs who look to have some talent about them.

shiznit

Coach
Ugh already reading about how much better Locke is than Tomkins :lol:
At the moment Locke is better by virtue of having runs on the board.

Tomkins is unproven in the NRL. I'm not saying he won't be a success... But no one really knows yet.

What I will say is Thomas Leuluai was a premiership winning halfback in the ESL.... He ain't a halfbacks arsehole in the NRL.

You make your own mind up...

Fast Eddie

First Grade

Tomkins is unproven in the NRL. I'm not saying he won't be a success... But no one really knows yet.

What I will say is Thomas Leuluai was a premiership winning halfback in the ESL.... He ain't a halfbacks arsehole in the NRL.

I'm not getting into this argument again about just because a player plays in the NRL he is automatically a better player.

And I already have made up mind up based on watching they guy play and his skillset.

Last edited:

shiznit

Coach
I'm not getting into this argument again about just because a player plays in the NRL he is automatically a better player.

And I already have made up mind up based on watching they guy play and his skillset.
Who's arguing?

I'm just stating FACTS....

Kevin Locke has played in the NRL... Sam Tomkins hasn't.

Kevin Locke has spent his career playing in a tougher competition week to week.

Its not fair to compare them until he Tomkins gets settled in the NRL.

It's like comparing Cedric Jackson of the NZ breakers in the NBL with Kyrie Irving of the Cleveland Cavaliers in the NBA.

Jackson was the MVP in the NBL... Absolutely dominant... And Irving would be somewhere between 7th-10th in the NBA

But you just can't compare them

Completely different leagues... Completely different levels.

Last edited:

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Have you even watched the ESL??

Comparing them to the ANBL is generous...

I sat through Salford v Catalan a couple of months ago...

That was more like the NZNBL...

Nah I haven't watched it at all, the last couple of months I've been talking up Tomkins without actually watching him play. But from what I've heard Tomkins only plays well against the worst teams int he ESL and has been terrible in internationals against the best players from down here. Were you saying Tolman was better than Graham? Asotasi better than Burgess? Heignton better than Ellis?

I'm done with this. Hitman keep fighting the good fight when it comes to Tomkins!

Last edited:

shiznit

Coach
Nah I haven't watched it at all, the last couple of months I've been talking up Tomkins without actually watching him play.
You say that in jest... But that wouldn't surprise me...

But from what I've heard Tomkins only plays well against the worst teams int he ESL and has been terrible in internationals against the best players from down here.
All of that both positive and negative is irrelevant at this stage... We can't really judge him until he gets settled in the NRL.

Were you saying Tolman was better than Graham? Asotasi better than Burgess? Heignton better than Ellis?
All those guys have proved themselves in the NRL... Tomkins hasn't.

I'm done with this. Hitman keep fighting the good fight when it comes to Tomkins!
:lol:

That's funny... you love trolling in the Parra forums... and can't handle some serious questions in your own teams forum.

For the record... I think the warriors have done the right thing here... I think the gamble on Tomkins is worth the risk...

But some people here need to acknowledge that this is somewhat of a gamble... And there is a risk that Locke could thrive at the dogs and Tomkins could flop at the Warriors.

Instead of just rubbishing Locke as a defence mechanism because they are scared the club will look stupid if the gamble doesn't pay off

Personally I hope both guys go really well...

jaseg

Juniors
We still have Fish, that's a fair hedge. I would've preferred to keep Locke, I like him, but push comes to shove Tomkins looks like the better player and we weren't going to spend that money elsewhere (because we can't; no-one of that calibre seems to want to come to NZ).

Feddie's point is (I believe) - people knew Sam Burgess & Gareth Ellis were going to be awesome before they arrived... and they were. They didn't need time to adjust, they were already top drawer. Because that top class IS available in the ESL, just only at the very top - and Tomkins is the best over there. He is a top drawer player and will do very well here.. and saying Locke is proven and Tomkins isn't is a weird argument in my mind since Locke has only really had 1 top season (which wasn't either of the last 2) at NRL level. And that's not Locke bashing; I really like him as a player, but Tomkins is simply better. Anyone who can't see that either hasn't seen him play (much or at all) or is blind.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
You say that in jest... But that wouldn't surprise me...

All of that both positive and negative is irrelevant at this stage... We can't really judge him until he gets settled in the NRL.

All those guys have proved themselves in the NRL... Tomkins hasn't.

:lol:

That's funny... you love trolling in the Parra forums... and can't handle some serious questions in your own teams forum.

For the record... I think the warriors have done the right thing here... I think the gamble on Tomkins is worth the risk...

But some people here need to acknowledge that this is somewhat of a gamble... And there is a risk that Locke could thrive at the dogs and Tomkins could flop at the Warriors.

Instead of just rubbishing Locke as a defence mechanism because they are scared the club will look stupid if the gamble doesn't pay off

Personally I hope both guys go really well...

Ok I can't help myself.

1. As Jase already cleared up you completely didn't grasp my point in comparing those players (unsurprisingly)

2. Who is rubbishing Locke? By saying a world class player in my mind is better than him is rubbishing him? Get the f**k outta here

3. Refusal to answer 'some serious questions'? Whats serious questions? I believe Tomkins is a better player and well worth the money or gamble, you think Locke is purely based on the competitions they play in. Thats your opinion, a stupid nonsensical small minded one, but your opinion none the less. What questions am I missing?

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Let's take this back a step.
Are we any closer to having this confirmed despite the Heralds article?
Still just media beat up so far.

PS Still think we will get him, but just want it confirmed already!

vvvrulz

Coach
I think we can bank on the fact that he is coming, otherwise it would be a very embarrassing fail on the warriors management.

The time has come to stop speculating about whether Tomkins will cut it at the NRL or not, because we are about to find out. Bringing him in was a gamble (to some degree even if small), but now that he is a done deal lets look forward to seeing what he can do for us next year. This argument is pointless now.

vvvrulz

Coach
And to be honest I am not *that* disappointed we are losing Locke, the guy has talent no doubt as we saw in 2010/2011 but he isn't playing at that level now. Not sure whether its a mental or physical thing, but if Tomkins really is as good as what its made out to be, then we don't need Locke.

shiznit

Coach
Ok I can't help myself.

1. As Jase already cleared up you completely didn't grasp my point in comparing those players (unsurprisingly)

2. Who is rubbishing Locke? By saying a world class player in my mind is better than him is rubbishing him? Get the f**k outta here

3. Refusal to answer 'some serious questions'? Whats serious questions? I believe Tomkins is a better player and well worth the money or gamble, you think Locke is purely based on the competitions they play in. Thats your opinion, a stupid nonsensical small minded one, but your opinion none the less. What questions am I missing?
I get what your saying...

You feel that a world class player in the ESL is a world class player in the NRL.

While I generally do agree with that... I also acknowledge that there is a risk involved as it's impossible to REALLY say that until they play in the top competition.

I'm not saying that either of them are better.. I'm saying one of them HAS made a career for themselves in the toughest competition in the world and the other has played in an inferior competition.

Is any of that not true?

Last edited:

Fast Eddie

First Grade
I get what your saying...

You feel that a world class player in the ESL is a world class player in the NRL.

While I generally do agree with that... I also acknowledge that there is a risk involved as it's impossible to REALLY say that until they play in the top competition.

I'm not saying that either of them are better.. I'm saying one of them HAS made a career for themselves in the toughest competition in the world and the other has played in an inferior competition.

Is any of that not true?