What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonight's Game

Johns Magic

Referee
antonius said:
Some stupid errors really cost us, and though I don't usually have a shot at refs, I thought some of his rulings were very one sided, the Dureau penalty was an absolute joke, and the Eels seemed to be getting a lot of piggy back penalties out of their end, with no consistancy in that area back to us. I agree Smiths use of Patterson is a mystery to me, he is far better than the starting backrowers, and Royal is a definate week link up front, he had a poor game IMO. Buderus was a standout. We deserved the win the missed try at the start, and Kidleys wayward pass in the second half are two moments that standout, along with that bloody penalty against Dureau that resulted in a try. Very unlucky I thought. We are travelling a lot better than I thought we would so far. Can't agree on the Kidley pass to Mc Karma, it was a sh!t pass.

I think Gidley threw a sh*t pass because McManus over-ran it and put pressure on him. McManus does it a lot. People jump and shout that he doesn't get passed the ball enough by his centres, but he brings it upon himself by having no depth.

Coopah_Knights

Juniors
personally i think the fact we can take the predicted runners up this yr to golden point at parra stadium is good. suks we fell short by a point.

Karmawave

Bench
I was disappointed that the boys didn't continue to test out Grothe's tendency to come in off his wing while in defence.

They did so early with great success, but seemed to back off later in the game.

Gaba

First Grade
Watching the knights last night, havent change my opinion they will finish in the bottom 4, they were lucky they played parramatta whose only attack is thier winger Hayne, and thier fullback and finch. Eels are one of the boring teams in attack in the nrl.

Newcastle will strugle against the better attacking sides, and i cant really see newcastle attack being much of a threat against the better sides either.

In saying that Newcastle could come close in winning some games if sides , take them easy

Karmawave

Bench
Johns Magic said:
I think Gidley threw a sh*t pass because McManus over-ran it and put pressure on him. McManus does it a lot. People jump and shout that he doesn't get passed the ball enough by his centres, but he brings it upon himself by having no depth.

Absolutely 100% spot on.

Same applied to Naiqama's forward pass. The blame can't be laid anywhere but on McManus and his lack of depth in support.

I thought McManus had a poor game overall last night.

While ever we have Gidley doing the work of a forward taking one out hit ups off our own line, you know Wes and Mac aren't doing their job.

Pika

Bench
Its a fine line we tread at marker and in the ruck.

At round three, we are still testing the limits.

We have improved our defence in the middle off the back of excellent marker speed and dominating the ruck.

We are not even close to our potential in this regard.

Coming into this round we were the best defencive team in the competition, a far cry from last season.

In regards to penalties, we cant have our cake and eat it too.... but we will be better each round.

As for the game, we had it, and lost it, but we showed some massive ticker to come back from a 60-40% possession first half to finish strong.

Great heart, and you cant teach that. Ball handling and discipline can be fine tuned and improved.

strewth_mate

Bench
but there was NOTHING wrong with the effort and there wasn't one guy out there who should hang there head in shame.

My own comments weren't intended to be interpreted as such - it's just that no matter the circumstances, losing is tricky to swallow ;-)

Was it about 3 tries that Parra scored directly off the back of penalties we conceded deep in their half? Hopefully this doesn't occur too often, as we just can't afford that. Plus I always hate it when good defensive efforts still show 24 points against on the scoreboard, it screws with our stats...

strewth_mate

Bench
Also, a generic Kidley comment - we are very lucky to have a player with such obvious dedication and enthusiasm in our team. Rarely seems to be a game where he puts anything less than everything into whatever he does. In a strange way he's reminding me more of Peden these days in terms of his attitude, and every club needs someone like that tbh.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
I haven't read all of the things that have been said already, so apologies if I'm repeating others.

First of all, I was working last night, so I didn't see the first half, so I can't really comment on the penalty against Scotty which turned out to be the turning point in the game. But by all reports it was a disgraceful call. The second half that I saw was a top eight team. Not too many teams will keep Parra tryless at Parra Stadium in a half of footy this year, which is precisely what we did last night.

Buderus was outstanding in the second half, and Kidley keeps on going from strength to strength. Paterson was good off the bench and the partnership between Mullo and Scotty will continue to improve. I hope Smithy doesn't get rid of Scotty for next week.

There were some dodgy calls, yes, but in all fairness, we've had our fair share in the first two weeks. Unfortunately, what goes around comes around. Hopefully the loss won't harm the boys confidence too much and they can go over to New Zealand next week and get the points.

Bicey_18

Bench
Gaba said:
Watching the knights last night, havent change my opinion they will finish in the bottom 4, they were lucky they played parramatta whose only attack is thier winger Hayne, and thier fullback and finch. Eels are one of the boring teams in attack in the nrl.

Newcastle will strugle against the better attacking sides, and i cant really see newcastle attack being much of a threat against the better sides either.

In saying that Newcastle could come close in winning some games if sides , take them easy

So where will the dragons finish then?

Jono078

Referee
I was at the club and happend to notice something on todays replay, IMO a case could be made for Gidley converting that 64th min try, it was close.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Thats what I thought tbh. When it happened live, I called it as a goal, only to see the touchies wave it away :?

strewth_mate

Bench
Not too many teams will keep Parra tryless at Parra Stadium in a half of footy this year, which is precisely what we did last night.

I forgot it was a tryless second half for them. Theirs in the first half came in the first 10 minutes, giving us a bad start, and in the final 10 before half time when it looked like we'd done well enough to be in front at the break. Quite frustrating.

Serc

First Grade
Yes I thought that conversion attempt might have been in before the touchies had their say too...

Just for the the sake of knowing - what would happen if they saw after the game on the video that the touchies farked up a conversion?

Jobdog

Live Update Team
My eyes weren't deceiving me. I'm talking to someone who was at the game, in line with said conversion attempt and they said that it actually went inside the left hand upright ...

Unfortunately, nothing can be done about it.

doggone

Juniors
Best game I have seen for a long time, had a bit of everything in it. Newcástle had a few chances to take the game. But they can take a bow, because the next one won't get away. Great performance from a well drilled side.
Buderus was awesome.

Apey

Staff member
Jono078 said:
I was at the club and happend to notice something on todays replay, IMO a case could be made for Gidley converting that 64th min try, it was close.

yeah I said it was in at the time too :? be interesting to see a picture of it, I actually thought it went over the top of the flag, does that count as in?

Latest posts