What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tony Archer = GF Ref

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Tony Archer has been named referee of Sunday's Grand Final between Melbourne and Manly at Telstra Stadium.

Archer becomes the 22nd person to referee a first grade premiership grand final. It is the first major refereeing appointment for Archer and he's excited by the achievement.

Referees coach Robert Finch has also announced that Steve Chiddy and Russell Turner will be sideline officials with Bill Harrigan and Phil Cooley in the video referees box.

http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=14854

Ridders

Coach
good on him, a worthy selection.

prolly helped him that all the other refs were all performing at a sub-standard level but meh, good luck to him. hopefully we won't be talking too much about him after Sunday night

Jono078

Referee
Well done.

Best ref by a mile last year and quite solid this year besides for early on where he was influenced heavily by the crowd.

MattJ

Juniors
There really wasnt anyone challenging him for the gig, congrats to Archer, you deserve the game.

woowoo

Juniors
Couldn't agree more with the appointment of Archer for the grand final. Has been the most consistent ref this season and this is just reward for his efforts.
Congratulations Tony Archer.

SSFC Hitman

Juniors
I say bring back Mogsheen Jadwat for the GF!!!

BTW Timmah any idea for the PL ref? Don't they usually use a first grade ref like maybe Hayne or one of the younger guys in Cummins.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I thought Archer was a bit ordinary, but good enough to get the nod. He's been consistent, and the most improved referee.

At least its not Simpkins.

3 GF's 3 different referees, how often does that happen?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
It happens when there's a dearth of good refs :fist:

None of them, even Archer, are consistent enough season to season. I held hopes for Clark but he's too pressured by home crowds. Simpkins has gone in a similar way.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Azkatro said:
In the immortal words of Paul Bowman... "F*CK OFF TONY!!!"

:lol:

I remember that, was that last year or the year before?

He copped a slap in the face and Archer said play on.

Lowdown

Juniors
Thanks Finch - no Simpkins. [ticks box]

However, I hold my breath that we'll be talking about a great game (win or lose) on Monday, and not the officiating like last year.