What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tony Archer goooooone

Life's Good

Coach
I really wonder how long people would be happy with say 30 or 40 penalties a game and turning it into rugby union.
I recall Bellamy in the post match press conference after the Sharks game(where Smith was binned)saying he didn’t have a problem with the penalty crackdown & teams would have to adapt. Whilst the early rounds had a tonne of penalties you could see the refs getting a bit more control & you were seeing a bit more of a balance in the games (Tigers beating Storm for example). The minute busted capillaries Rothfield sends a tweet we suddenly have ‘game in crisis’ with officialdom ruining the game. Greenberg sh*ts the bed & it’s over. It might have needed to the end of the year but I think the path was being set.
Archer, while a bit of a pillock, is just a scapegoat for Todd not being strong enough to stay the course & push back at the usual suspects in the media.

T-Boon

Coach
I recall Bellamy in the post match press conference after the Sharks game(where Smith was binned)saying he didn’t have a problem with the penalty crackdown & teams would have to adapt.

He was saying that publicly (as were many other coaches) but they were pulling their puppet strings privately. Every time A Johns or some other dead beat commentator got twisted in a note over it on the broadcast they were speaking for the coaches who employ them and contact them through the week.

simmo05

Bench
A coach, cant remember which one, actually said they will not change their teams cheating tactics because the nrl would eventually cave. Guess what happened? What promised to be the most interesting season for ages after the first 10 rounds, turned into the same dogshit we get every year

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
A coach, cant remember which one, actually said they will not change their teams cheating tactics because the nrl would eventually cave. Guess what happened? What promised to be the most interesting season for ages after the first 10 rounds, turned into the same dogshit we get every year
Spot on. Comp was wide open then it became fairly evident it was Storm or Roosters from halfway through.

Spot On

Coach
Where's the thread with all the whinging from LU posters about the crack down and how farked it was??? Personally it was great to see the refs begin to take control of the game and over the players.

Alas, too many didn't have the stomach for it and shat their pants, handing control of the officiating back to the coaches and players.

Ch 9 dickwad commentators just applied too much pressure for Teflon Toddy.

Weak.

Timmah

Staff member
Paul Kent has already turned rabid and sunk the teeth into Annesley in his column in tomorrow's Tele. Pathetic rubbish.

TheFrog

Coach
Has that actually happened? And not just one instance, an actual pattern, a substantial number.
The most in a Panthers game was 25, in round 6. There were 6 occasions when there were in excess of 20 penalties in the first 11 rounds in our games, and only one after that. What did happen quite a lot was that one side would be caned in the first half followed by the other in the second (most often us first), ie evening up the count. From memory this happened in the Titans match (r6, 25 penalties) and the Tigers match (r11, 24 penalties). Both these games ended with close penalty counts after they'd been lopsided early. On other occasions there would be a barrage of penalties in the first half followed by the whistle being put away. This happened in the final round vs Storm when the penalties were 11-2 Storm (with 2 sin binnings) after half an hour, ending 12-4. I only mention our games because I remember them, and also because we had more penalties in our games than any other team.

This is the sort of thing I find infuriating. Lopsided penalty counts being evened up later in the contest, or the whistle being put away altogether. Also the refusal to give penalties late in games when the score is close which of course gets exploited.

What is needed, IMHO, is consistency, not only between teams and games but from minute 1 to minute 80 as well.

Last edited:

Springs09

Juniors
This is the sort of thing I find infuriating. Lopsided penalty counts being evened up later in the contest, or the whistle being put away altogether. Also the refusal to give penalties late in games when the score is close which of course gets exploited.

That was a big problem last year and later this year. Earlier in the year there were a few instances where games were decided by last minute penalty goals and everyone in the media blew up about it. 'Games should be decided by players' and 'we don't want to see games decided by penalty goals' and other moronic statements. The Tigers one against Brisbane was the most notable - mainly because it was a wrong decision. But others, like the Jake Granville offside penalty against Souths, were justified and commentators still talked shit about it - the same commentators and media who have criticised referees for never blowing penalties at end of games or in golden point for the last 10 years.

Timmah

Staff member
The most in a Panthers game was 25, in round 6. There were 6 occasions when there were in excess of 20 penalties in the first 11 rounds in our games, and only one after that. What did happen quite a lot was that one side would be caned in the first half followed by the other in the second (most often us first), ie evening up the count. From memory this happened in the Titans match (r6, 25 penalties) and the Tigers match (r11, 24 penalties). Both these games ended with close penalty counts after they'd been lopsided early. On other occasions there would be a barrage of penalties in the first half followed by the whistle being put away. This happened in the final round vs Storm when the penalties were 11-2 Storm (with 2 sin binnings) after half an hour, ending 12-4. I only mention our games because I remember them, and also because we had more penalties in our games than any other team.

What is needed, IMHO, is consistency, not only between teams and games but from minute 1 to minute 80 as well.
Sounds like you're expecting humans to be perfect.

Imagine if you applied the same standards to your players as you do to the match officials.

TheFrog

Coach
Imagine if you applied the same standards to your players as you do to the match officials.
As I've said before, the refs are only doing what they are told. Some of them don't like it any more than I do. Note Matt Checcin is no longer an NRL ref.This is what refs can expect if they don't toe the line.

This is coming from the top. Damned if I know what it was meant to achieve, but it didn't achieve anything apart from disgruntled fans and the same old teams playing the decider. And yes, I do realise they had never met before in the decider, but that was an anomaly. They are the two sides who made the decider most often. So what the crackdown achieved was the same sides as usual in the decider, only both of them this time.

Timmah

Staff member
As I've said before, the refs are only doing what they are told. Some of them don't like it any more than I do. Note Matt Checcin is no longer an NRL ref.This is what refs can expect if they don't toe the line.

This is coming from the top. Damned if I know what it was meant to achieve, but it didn't achieve anything apart from disgruntled fans and the same old teams playing the decider. And yes, I do realise they had never met before in the decider, but that was an anomaly. They are the two sides who made the decider most often. So what the crackdown achieved was the same sides as usual in the decider, only both of them this time.
LOL, directly the opposite is true, as per most of the discussion in this thread which you wilfully ignore in order to regurgitate the same utter tripe that Rothfield, Kent et al spew forward.

The competition was wide open until the crackdown died mid-season, and once it died off, that's when the Storm and Roosters ramped up and the rest faded away.

TheFrog

Coach
LOL, directly the opposite is true, as per most of the discussion in this thread which you wilfully ignore in order to regurgitate the same utter tripe that Rothfield, Kent et al spew forward.

The competition was wide open until the crackdown died mid-season, and once it died off, that's when the Storm and Roosters ramped up and the rest faded away.
Especially with the Roosters, I'd say that is a coincidence. They took quite a long time to gel, but were the best side at the business end. That doesn't mean they didn't win some games they didn't deserve to win along the way.

If I'm saying the same as Kent and Rothfield it is a coincidence too because I do not read the Telegraph.

Timmah

Staff member
Especially with the Roosters, I'd say that is a coincidence. They took quite a long time to gel, but were the best side at the business end. That doesn't mean they didn't win some games they didn't deserve to win along the way.

If I'm saying the same as Kent and Rothfield it is a coincidence too because I do not read the Telegraph.
You're borderline alleging corruption, its getting beyond ridiculous.

Latest posts