What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tony Archer goooooone

1 ref gone and only the rest left to go. Good riddance to these f**kwits, I would've sacked the lot of them for having the nerve to ask for 300k a year.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I don't think I did that. Refs do what they are instructed to do. Coaches do their jobs too, which is to win games however possible. What is needed is a means by which the baby isn't thrown out with the bathwater in enforcing the rules.
A completely meaningless metaphor that actually says nothing, congrats.
It's still there though!

Short of penalising every single tackle after a 3 second tackle clock with a siren you won't see a drastic change to 90s/early 2000s footy.
Nobody suggested that the penalty crackdown would simply eradicate wrestling - it was certainly one element.

What it was designed to do was to get back to enforcing the rules of the game, liking creeping outside backs and repeated cynical on-the-line infringements. In that sense, it was certainly working IMO. I enjoyed the footy more this year than in past years as a result.

TheFrog

Coach
A completely meaningless metaphor that actually says nothing, congrats.
I should have realised you wouldn't get it. They don't want to ruin the game they are trying to...well come to think of it I don't know what they are trying to do to the game, but whatever it is it isn't making the fanbase happy, and they're the ones who pay the bills. You chase them away you don't have a game. That is what is meant by throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
What it was designed to do was to get back to enforcing the rules of the game, liking creeping outside backs and repeated cynical on-the-line infringements. In that sense, it was certainly working IMO. I enjoyed the footy more this year than in past years as a result.

It was almost unwatchable and was farcically enforced. The inconsistency was still there and the repeated penalties and sin binnings were laughable as if they were trying to meet a quota.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
And I give you the roosters offside inside the 10 - deliberately giving up penalties to set their defence.
Every coach pushes the rules as far as they can; some just do it better than others.

That was something Phil Gould invented on Channel 9 as a way to influence the referee's.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I should have realised you wouldn't get it. They don't want to ruin the game they are trying to...well come to think of it I don't know what they are trying to do to the game, but whatever it is it isn't making the fanbase happy, and they're the ones who pay the bills. You chase them away you don't have a game. That is what is meant by throwing out the baby with the bathwater.
No, you're still peddling repetitive bullshit metaphor.

You're also speaking for everyone, which is just spewing the same bile Kent, Rothfield, Ikin et al put forward.

Because those clowns publish something and claim it's everyone's opinion, doesn't make it so. This thread alone should be evidence of that.

(and I'm not even disputing that Archer should've been moved on, I think it's the right call. but the penalty crackdown was absolutely the right thing to do and I don't believe it was a failure)

Dawesy76

Juniors
I was never a fan or Archers. But if they’re saying the penalty crack down was the reason he was flicked its pathetic. Every single match you hear fans bitching about penalties not given or ‘get em onside ref’ crap week in week out and when finally they do something about it, he gets sacked cause of it? What the?

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
I didn’t think tony would SURRENDER!!! (Glass breaks in the background) that easily.

One voice I’m never going to miss

siv

First Grade
I hope people who are heaping shit on him realise he's been moved on (along with Canavan) because of the penalty crackdown, something which a lot of people on here seemingly supported.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...n/news-story/45ed3e843c34f969afd3d4f096903e44

The 16 NRL clubs will be handed a document this week confirming the crippling effect of the refereeing crackdown on the 2018 season.

It reveals fans saw eight hours less ball-in-play action over the season, fewer tries and linebreaks, but a 200 per cent increase in penalty goals.

There was also a 10 per cent increase in the number of bunker referrals and a 17 per cent increase in the time it takes to adjudicate on a try referral.

The Daily Telegraph has obtained a copy of the confidential document which will be handed to the 16 club chief executives at their meeting at Moore Park headquarters this week.

The idea was to speed up the play-the-ball, keep the teams further apart and improve the attack.

The report shows it actually did nothing to enhance the spectacle. It actually had the opposite effect.

It is the major reason why long-time official Brian Canavan was axed as Head of Football and replaced by Graham Annesley.

There were 75 fewer tries than the previous season, fewer linebreaks and a 200 per cent increase in penalty goals. Some games were like boring rugby union penalty shootouts.

With less fatigue from all the stoppages there were also fewer missed tackles.

But were the clubs and players breaking the rules as written in the rule book ??

Or were we more interested in the TV product than enforcing the rules

siv

First Grade
The crackdown failed because it took 15 infringments to sent some merkin to the bin

They removed the old 3 infringenents 5 min in the Sin Bin rule

And replaced this year with 4 infringements or Slater falling over after a break being a 10 min in the Sin Bin offence

Fire

First Grade
It was almost unwatchable and was farcically enforced.
I agree.

I noticed the amount of penalties blown 10x more than I ever have noticed 'the wrestle'.

Does anyone actually care/really pay attention to wrestling?

I know when Saints run out all I give a shit about is having fun watching my team play and hoping they win.

- Big hits
- Line breaks
- Great defence
- Great set moves
- Individual brilliance

^ I notice those things when watching a neutral game - never noticed wrestling until they started blowing penalties.

TheFrog

Coach
You're also speaking for everyone, which is just spewing the same bile Kent, Rothfield, Ikin et al put forward.
Clearly you like seeing 20+ penalties a game, and teams penalised stupid in the first half only to even things up in the second. Infringements not penalised in the latter stages of games if a penalty would change the result, notwithstanding that the infringements themselves do exactly that. Even in the finals this was happening. This is not my idea of how a professional sporting competition should be run. If this is what the journos you've mentioned (and you forgot Phil Gould) are saying, then I agree with them 100%.

And what is "spewing bile" if its not a metaphor.