What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tony currie or anthony mundine - you decide

nqcowboy87

Bench
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...rarchy-is-racist/story-e6frexnr-1225878949660

Currie: NSW heirarchy is racist

By Peter Badel From: The Sunday Mail (Qld) June 13, 2010 12:03AM

QUEENSLAND legend Tony Currie has made the explosive claim that a racist philosophy is behind the snubbing of Aboriginal talent by NSW hierarchy.

The stunning accusation from Currie came as NSW assistant coach Andrew Johns last night resigned in disgrace for calling Queensland centre Greg Inglis a "black c***" during a team bonding session _ prompting Blues part-Aboriginal winger Timana Tahu to walk out on the squad on Friday night.

A devastated Johns last night apologised to Tahu and a furious Inglis, who has lit the fuse for an Origin war by saying game two this Wednesday night at Suncorp Stadium is now "personal".

Inglis said on Channel Nine last night: "We (he and Tahu) have known each other from way back since we were 15.

"This is a shock to me since I found out. If that is the way it was, this is going to be personal."

The incredible chain of events represents the most controversial chapter in State of Origin's 30-year history.

And Currie poured fuel on the racial inferno last night by declaring the NSWRL has for decades overlooked the cream of Aboriginal talent.

Asked if NRL Aboriginal players feel there are racist elements with NSW, Currie said: “My god there is a feeling about that, it’s not just well known, it’s not just a feeling with the Koori down south, it’s a fact.

"Nathan Merritt (Souths winger) has continually been overlooked despite being the leading tryscorer, Anthony Mundine was at the peak of his powers for years and got a handful of appearances.

"Aborigines in NSW have had their token appearances. They have a different philosophy to Queensland. If Preston Campbell was a Queenslander, he would have played State of Origin.

"Our black magic does not fit in with the philosophy of the NSW hierarchy."

Currie said Blues legend Laurie Daley _ now a state selector _ was one of the few to be recognised.

"Well he was an out and out champion, he was hard to ignore," he said.

"But apart from him most guys have had token appearances. It is now time for Laurie as a NSW selector to take a stand and wipe this out. Enough is enough. We’re supposed to be a multi-cultural game. We’re over it. It’s time as a game we eradicate this completely.

"I thought we’d come a long way in rugby league, but let’s face it ... in the 30 years of Origin history, NSW does not have a good record supporting Aboriginal talent like Queensland does.

"It doesn’t matter if there is a black man present or not, it is racial vilification. You can’t say sorry after the event, it has to be in you. Unfortunately, it’s an issue in the game and it’s still in society.

"Queensland embraces the philosophy of selecting Aboriginal, unfortunately NSW has not embraced it and they are hamstrung by it. They have people in high places making these comments and it can’t be taken away.

"It is there forever.

"That is abhorrent. He should have been more mindful, I can’t believe a person of his status would say that. I applaud Timana for taking a stand and it is NSW’s loss."

QRL boss Ross Livermore was disgusted by Johns' statement. "We don't need this in the game. I'm disappointed to hear this," he said.

ok, im not for any form of racism whatsoever, but this going a little overboard and the thing about black magic that has kinda racial overtones as well

RABK

Referee
Political correctness taking something out of context indeed gives racist propragandists a stage to reveal they themselves are the true racists.

Doga

Juniors
How would Tahu and Inglis have known each other as 15 year olds. Inglis is a Queenslander

Timmah6991

Juniors
Full article here. This is only a snippet. http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...enous-pride-20100522-w2vx.html?skin=text-only

A teenaged Greg Inglis - who stayed at the same Newcastle hostel as Tahu when he was 14 and played in the same Aboriginal knockout team - chose to represent Queensland on the advice of his Brisbane foster parents although he was raised in Bowraville. The decision was based on the widespread belief that Aboriginal athletes were not recognised in NSW as they were in Queensland.

Danish

Referee
How does Currie's argument about Mundine hold water when he was for the most part kept out of origin by a superior aboriginal player in Laurie Daley??

Blacklock, Campbell and to a lesser extent Jennings are far better examples of NSW selectors overlooking black footballers.

Big Mick

Referee
Refer's to himself having black magic....and then says its racist.

Leading tryscoring doesn't mean you should be an automatic selection Currie.

Merritt hasn't been picked because his defense is always suspect. He hasn't been picked because QLD have guys like Folau on the wing, who are about 2 feet taller than Merritt and weight about 25kg more. Bit of a mismatch?

Jennings is more of an ommission than bloody Merritt....but then again he isn't Aboriginal so noone is making a big deal about it....oh is that racist? - supporting someone of Tongan heritage over Aboriginal? Oh no...I may need to do culture courses to appreciate a diversity of culture in Australia.

As for that hack Mundine. Couldn't tackle, all he was, was a step...and a mouth. That's it. Daley was a better player, Fittler was a better player, if he could play more than one position and wasn't such a dickhead he might have played.

Personally I think all these players should stop playing the race card. They all bleed red - that's a universal colour. So get in there, fire the f**k up, harden the f**k up...and play the game with passion the way it is meant to be played. And if you play to a great standard then you'll be picked.

Then again, if you are a middle of the road player, you can always say its racist.

Last edited:

mave

Coach
Maybe the NSWRL should start selecting teams based on a quota sytstem a la South Africa?

macavity

Referee
pppfffftttt. Inglis is an aboriginal new south welshman and has played heaps of origin.....

coolumsharkie

Referee
Mundine wasn't as good as Barrett at the time so he obviously didnt get the gig, spat the dummy and called in the race card... That to me is racist.

If there are race issues amoungst some of the selectors decisions then they need to be removed.. Easier said than done.

"Are you a rasict Mr Mac" ?

Dazraider

Juniors
I always feel uncomfortable when someone saids something about a black or brown man but have to admit it is kind of funny just imagining Joey giving it to scott as it would of been all about passion and how good Inglis is.
People make remarks about white aussies and i never find it rascist but guess thats a whole lot of my type that dont get upset over some names.
they go back in the past and we get blamed even today for those white rascist people.
guess they will never get over that.

voltron

Juniors
i find playing the race card a bit weak
and then calling themselves "Black Magic" is just reverse racism
and most immigrants are heaps racist
ask any asian, their asian race is the most superior asian race etc etc
australians are better than poms and yanks etc

maybe the NSWRL guys have a preconceived notion of what an origin player is
and its characteristics which are found less in aboriginal players (maybe)
i dunno, but to call all NSWRL selectors racist for the past 30 years is a little rich
especially with daley on the board

but to guys who want to see racism will inevitably see it

big country

Juniors
Refer's to himself having black magic....and then says its racist.

Leading tryscoring doesn't mean you should be an automatic selection Currie.

Merritt hasn't been picked because his defense is always suspect. He hasn't been picked because QLD have guys like Folau on the wing, who are about 2 feet taller than Merritt and weight about 25kg more. Bit of a mismatch?

Jennings is more of an ommission than bloody Merritt....but then again he isn't Aboriginal so noone is making a big deal about it....oh is that racist? - supporting someone of Tongan heritage over Aboriginal? Oh no...I may need to do culture courses to appreciate a diversity of culture in Australia.

As for that hack Mundine. Couldn't tackle, all he was, was a step...and a mouth. That's it. Daley was a better player, Fittler was a better player, if he could play more than one position and wasn't such a dickhead he might have played.

Personally I think all these players should stop playing the race card. They all bleed red - that's a universal colour. So get in there, fire the f**k up, harden the f**k up...and play the game with passion the way it is meant to be played. And if you play to a great standard then you'll be picked.

Then again, if you are a middle of the road player, you can always say its racist.

haha - you must be watching much of Merritt to make a comment like that - not many tries have been scored against Souths on Merritts edge

Big Mick

Referee
Can anyone really say they've never ever said anything racist in their lives?

Really?

The fact is we are the most multicultural country in the world.

Its going to happen.

The amount of times I've been called a Dirty Mediterranean Descendant...or a Skippy "C" is ridiculous. Particularly on Sat Nights going out. Women cop it the most. But then if you say anything back...you get the whole "Why you being racist for?"

Personally Racism = Hypocrisy.

Big Mick

Referee
haha - you must be watching much of Merritt to make a comment like that - not many tries have been scored against Souths on Merritts edge

Maybe not this year...but I've watched Merritt plenty and see that he gets gets bulldozed a bit.

The fact is that would he be better than his opposite man in origin? No.

Sure this year he is better than others in defense, but his attack has gone off.

I wouldn't feel comfortable with him against Folau, just as I wasn't comfortable with Turner vs Folau.

coolumsharkie

Referee

He's made some shockers in D, I haven't really watched hid defense this year so much admittedly.. Who would he replace ?

Vic Mackey

Referee
Lol 'well he was an out and out champion and hard to ignore'

so in other words the others weren't good enough, thanks Tony you spastic

victim card much? Get over it you moron

blackwhite.gif

Dazzat

First Grade
This brings a whole new light on why Inglis is playing for Queensland. It makes it all pretty clear.

Latest posts