What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too Late Now, We're Suing The Storm

parano1a

Juniors
The Storm should sue Gallop for not making Nine honour their contract to show NRL games before midnight in Melbourne.

Evolution

Juniors
Its funny to me that the Storm are asking for the legal action to be delayed until next week, on the other side of the Grand Final, claiming that Sunday's match needs to be their sole focus, when they held a press conference earlier this week so Smith could tell us all he is the judiciary's scapegoat.

You can't have it both ways

Well Smith is suspended so he can do what he likes with his time.

The Storm did wait until after the Cronulla game before they hit out. They went over the top in the conference but they had just finished a game where some bad calls from the ref were made due to increased hysteria over tackles which was the focus of the media. It was also the main focus of the conference.

Maybe they should have waited until after the grand final and allow for more tackles like the Geyer one to be called in the mean time.

Evolution

Juniors
Its funny to me that the Storm are asking for the legal action to be delayed until next week, on the other side of the Grand Final, claiming that Sunday's match needs to be their sole focus, when they held a press conference earlier this week so Smith could tell us all he is the judiciary's scapegoat.

You can't have it both ways

Well Smith is suspended so he can do what he likes with his time.

The Storm did wait until after the Cronulla game before they hit out. They went over the top in the conference but they had just finished a game where some bad calls from the ref were made due to increased hysteria over tackles which was the focus of the media. It was also the main focus of the conference.

Maybe they should have waited until after the grand final and allow for more tackles like the Geyer one to be called in the mean time.

I find it funny that Gallop has grown some balls this last week but rolls over like a puppy when it comes to TV rights.

Meth

Staff member
My understanding was the Smith spoke at a press conference that the Melbourne Storm called

Evolution

Juniors
My understanding was the Smith spoke at a press conference that the Melbourne Storm called

Even if it were so it is not like he has a game to be focused on this week and as such can do some media to free up other players.

Meth

Staff member
Even if it were so it is not like he has a game to be focused on this week and as such can do some media to free up other players.

Doesn't wash

He is representing the Storm, therefore the point I made in post 111 stands

as is Melbourne's!!!! :crazy::crazy:

you lose Folau to us next year - no wonder he wanted out. I wouldn't want to be coached by a whinging, defaming, Origin whitewashing idiot like that. :lol:

pain.... its coming

Another pathetic "i'm on school holiday" post...the nappie brigade in full effect.:lol:

henrieté

Juniors
http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/th...1223013790997.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Three 'wise' men blinded by an emotional Bellyache

Glenn Jackson

October 4, 2000

JOHNNY CASH would have loved the NRL judiciary, the code's "boy named Sue".

Let's start with the facts, which is all you can do in a situation which has become so murky, mud is jealous. Cam Smith, the Melbourne captain, was charged with a contrary conduct offence and appeared at an NRL judiciary hearing. He was found guilty by three men.

Then the slinging of mud began.

Craig Bellamy, Melbourne's coach, exploded. His rant, delivered after the first of two games for which Smith was suspended, was biting and it was bitter. And its accuracy was questioned significantly.

Since then, the three men of the panel - Darrell Williams, Royce Ayliffe and Darren Britt - have opted, with the full support of the NRL chief executive David Gallop, to start legal action against the coach, as well as his chief executive, Brian Waldron. They have claimed their reputations have been tarnished, and will ask a real court of law to find as such.

Here's hoping, if it does get that far, a jury foreman does not utter the civil court equivalent of the words that Williams did on the night of the original hearing: guilty.

If they do, in the words of Bellamy, it stinks.

If we can take a breath, which no one has seemingly been able to do since that Wednesday night at NRL headquarters, let's consider what has occurred. A coach has lost his captain, and key player, for a preliminary final and, as it turned out, for the grand final.

He was angry and frustrated. He was irritated and he was certainly irrational, and his club was fined $50,000. He went too far, something he acknowledged the next day.

And the judiciary men bit back. Fair enough. They have the right to defend themselves, and they did so. But then came more threats, and more threats, and apology demands, and more threats.

"At the very, very least, unless we have a full and unreserved apology before the grand final and addressed to us via the same medium by which we were criticised - which is television - and talking only about their comments, will we even think about accepting that and moving on," Williams, a former Manly player, told The Australian.

"To date I have received nothing from Melbourne that satisfies my anger over what they've said. The betting thing was particularly hurtful because that questions my integrity, and I've said over the weekend I will not have my integrity questioned by those two clowns."

And through it all, Bellamy's comments have been recycled and replayed, exposing them to more people and, if the trio are to be believed about their reputations being tarnished, defaming them even more. Williams and Ayliffe, particularly, have repeated their threats. So do they sue themselves, given they have given more people access to the original accusations?

All because Bellamy has refused to apologise. Wonder why, given he is in the middle of a grand final preparation and would like to, you'd think, give his players the impression he supports them.

The judiciary has a difficult job; damned if you do, damned if you don't. Every decision will anger someone. That's the key. Bellamy was angry, and he indeed lost it.

Surely, though, the vast majority of the population is smart enough to realise that here was a frustrated coach who was taking out his frustrations. The judiciary panel isn't giving the rest of us much credit if they believe we all now think they are corrupt and on the take.

"I had one guy say, 'You guys are all corrupt' - Melbourne have caused that by saying I'm influenced by bookies, [that] I talk to bookies," Williams said; another day, another diatribe.

Here's a suggestion: don't listen to them. Shrug your shoulders. Pity them that they cannot think for themselves. Pat yourself on the back that you are thicker-skinned than an overcooked chicken. And remember that at the centre of all this is a game of rugby league.

People call people names. Wombats, flips and even clowns.

"If they [the Storm] lose perspective because they feel they've been slighted or hard done by, then it's just sour grapes and cry-baby stuff," Williams said.

Now replace the Storm with the NRL judiciary and reread the above sentence. To me, it is guilty of grade-five whingeing.

henrieté

Juniors
Is this the same bloke as the Darrell Williams who is suing Bellamy and Waldron?

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/kiwi-williams-says-manly-will-prevail/

Kiwi Williams says Manly will win

23 Sep 08 @ 06:17pm by JASON AVEDISSIAN

Manly fullback Brett Stewart will be hungry for more tries against the Warriors on Saturday night.

MANLY premiership winner Darrell Williams has put club loyalties ahead of his heart, believing the Sea Eagles have the game to “grind away” the Warriors.

Williams, a member of Manly’s 1987 grand final-winning side, said the Sea Eagles style of football was tailor-made to secure the club their first premiership in 12 years.
“Manly’s defence and the way they grind out games, is more suited to semi-final football than the Warriors,” Williams told The Manly Daily on Tuesday ahead of Saturday’s preliminary final between the Sea Eagles and Warriors at the Sydney Football Stadium.

“My heart and nationality lies with the Warriors, but my head goes with the Sea Eagles.
“Manly have been the form team all year, along with Melbourne, but Melbourne have shown they have some vulnerability.

“For me, Manly are the favourites and they have the game to win a grand final now.”
But the New Zealand Test selector believes the Warriors are improving and capable of upsetting his old club.

“The Warriors are showing things they haven’t shown for a while, that’s a new grit and discipline,” Williams said.

“They’re on a roll and every team in the competition is taking notice.
“They’re playing with good confidence and showed some really good signs coming back in the second half (against the Roosters on Friday).

“That wasn’t typical of them in the past, so it looks like they’ve got some new resolve which is a real positive.

“Their wins from eighth place give them self-belief.

“The Sea Eagles are in for a really tough night and it’s up to them to come and get the Warriors.”

But Warriors coach Ivan Cleary expressed caution at the task his team face on Saturday night.

“You look at Manly and you just can’t find weaknesses,” he said.

“They’ve played extremely well this season and we’ll need a huge effort in all areas if we’re to be in contention against them.”

Last edited:

Meth

Staff member
Is this the same bloke as the Darrell Williams who is suing Bellamy and Waldron??

Yes

I don't think his action has anything to do with the fact Manly are set to play the Storm, if that's what you're getting at

henrieté

Juniors
Yes

I don't think his action has anything to do with the fact Manly are set to play the Storm, if that's what you're getting at

Perhaps you don't think it and maybe I don't think it either. But thousands of others looking at the time frame of the Cam Smith charges, the Williams comment about Manly winning the GF and Melbourne showing 'vulnerability', and when Cam Smith was found guilty, may.

As a judiciary member Williams should never have made the comment in the first place never mind during this time frame.

elbusto

Coach
Perhaps you don't think it and maybe I don't think it either. But thousands of others looking at the time frame of the Cam Smith charges, the Williams comment about Manly winning the GF and Melbourne showing 'vulnerability', and when Cam Smith was found guilty, may.

As a judiciary member Williams should never have made the comment in the first place never mind during this time frame.
absolutely - this will look good in Court if and when it gets there! Williams has made a terrible error of judgement.

Evolution

Juniors
absolutely - this will look good in Court if and when it gets there! Williams has made a terrible error of judgement.

And he is worried about the Storm questioning his integrity when he can make people question it all by himself.

Last edited:

j0nesy

Bench
All of this has gone too far...

It probably started with Brown publicly casting dispersions on the NRL's lack of action over wrestling, although in reality most people know he was actually having a go at the Melbourne Storm's tactics. It was then followed by Brian Waldron publicly stating that he was going to sue Nathan Brown, which never eventuated - shaky grounds methinks.

Next there's a lot of media hype over the grapple tackle, a tackle that has been plaguing our game for several seasons is suddenly made an issue again, with a couple of NRL coaches taking pot shots at the Storm.

Roll on the finals series and the NRL match review committee finally decides to take action over the matter, by sighting Cameron Smith and Jeremy Smith. Ricky Stuart decides, in his wisdom, to public discuss a matter before the NRL judicary. Cameron Smith is suspendended for two matches missing the grandfinal, Jeremy Smith is suspended for one match.

Melbourne go on to flog Cronulla, with one highly questionable penalty given agains Matt Geyer for a "grapple". Craig Bellamy and Brian Waldron publicy slam the NRL, the MRC and the judicary, with Bellamy claiming that bookies have inside information about what is going at the NRL judicay. The NRL fine Bellamy $50,000.

Darell Williams publicly states that he is going to sue Craig Bellamy and Brian Waldron. The Melbourne Storm then hold a press conference and make a half assed attempt at an apology, which ends up with Smith putting his foot in it. Darrell Williams continues his media campaign against the Storm, stating again and again that he intends to sue, perhaps jepardising his 'case', which may or may not have existed to begin with...

Guys can we just play footy on Sunday?

innsaneink

Referee
http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/th...1223013790997.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Three 'wise' men blinded by an emotional Bellyache

Glenn Jackson

October 4, 2000

JOHNNY CASH would have loved the NRL judiciary, the code's "boy named Sue".

Let's start with the facts, which is all you can do in a situation which has become so murky, mud is jealous. Cam Smith, the Melbourne captain, was charged with a contrary conduct offence and appeared at an NRL judiciary hearing. He was found guilty by three men.

Then the slinging of mud began.

Craig Bellamy, Melbourne's coach, exploded. His rant, delivered after the first of two games for which Smith was suspended, was biting and it was bitter. And its accuracy was questioned significantly.

Since then, the three men of the panel - Darrell Williams, Royce Ayliffe and Darren Britt - have opted, with the full support of the NRL chief executive David Gallop, to start legal action against the coach, as well as his chief executive, Brian Waldron. They have claimed their reputations have been tarnished, and will ask a real court of law to find as such.

Here's hoping, if it does get that far, a jury foreman does not utter the civil court equivalent of the words that Williams did on the night of the original hearing: guilty.

If they do, in the words of Bellamy, it stinks.

If we can take a breath, which no one has seemingly been able to do since that Wednesday night at NRL headquarters, let's consider what has occurred. A coach has lost his captain, and key player, for a preliminary final and, as it turned out, for the grand final.

He was angry and frustrated. He was irritated and he was certainly irrational, and his club was fined $50,000. He went too far, something he acknowledged the next day.

And the judiciary men bit back. Fair enough. They have the right to defend themselves, and they did so. But then came more threats, and more threats, and apology demands, and more threats.

"At the very, very least, unless we have a full and unreserved apology before the grand final and addressed to us via the same medium by which we were criticised - which is television - and talking only about their comments, will we even think about accepting that and moving on," Williams, a former Manly player, told The Australian.

"To date I have received nothing from Melbourne that satisfies my anger over what they've said. The betting thing was particularly hurtful because that questions my integrity, and I've said over the weekend I will not have my integrity questioned by those two clowns."

And through it all, Bellamy's comments have been recycled and replayed, exposing them to more people and, if the trio are to be believed about their reputations being tarnished, defaming them even more. Williams and Ayliffe, particularly, have repeated their threats. So do they sue themselves, given they have given more people access to the original accusations?

All because Bellamy has refused to apologise. Wonder why, given he is in the middle of a grand final preparation and would like to, you'd think, give his players the impression he supports them.

The judiciary has a difficult job; damned if you do, damned if you don't. Every decision will anger someone. That's the key. Bellamy was angry, and he indeed lost it.

Surely, though, the vast majority of the population is smart enough to realise that here was a frustrated coach who was taking out his frustrations. The judiciary panel isn't giving the rest of us much credit if they believe we all now think they are corrupt and on the take.

"I had one guy say, 'You guys are all corrupt' - Melbourne have caused that by saying I'm influenced by bookies, [that] I talk to bookies," Williams said; another day, another diatribe.

Here's a suggestion: don't listen to them. Shrug your shoulders. Pity them that they cannot think for themselves. Pat yourself on the back that you are thicker-skinned than an overcooked chicken. And remember that at the centre of all this is a game of rugby league.

People call people names. Wombats, flips and even clowns.

"If they [the Storm] lose perspective because they feel they've been slighted or hard done by, then it's just sour grapes and cry-baby stuff," Williams said.

Now replace the Storm with the NRL judiciary and reread the above sentence. To me, it is guilty of grade-five whingeing.

I'm sure he doesnt listen to them, but the fact he hears them is the point one is making when defending ones integrity and reputation.
The fact these clowns have listened to Bellamy and made judgement is enough for Williams to make a stand, and good on him.
Wombats flips and clowns is one thing...cheats and corrupt is a whole different ball game...some may be at ease with others walking all over them, Williams clearly isnt.
Some here seem to liken this to a drunken insult in a pub from one nuffy to another, where in fact its a club CEO and head coach of the premier team in a national competition accusing, - through the media - the judicial admin of the same national game of corrupt practises.
Big difference.
Its a matter of principle.

Glenn Jackson clearly doesnt have any

henrieté

Juniors
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/12/11/1039379884734.html
Judiciary threatens walkout if NRL ends defamation funding

By Brad Walter and Roy Masters
December 12 2002

The National Rugby League's entire seven-man judiciary has threatened to resign en-masse over the NRL's decision to stop funding legal action by some panel members against NSW Origin coach Phil Gould.

Judiciary commissioner Jim Hall, chairman Greg Woods, QC, and the five-man panel of former players Royce Ayliffe, Ian Roberts, Darrell Williams, Mal Cochrane and Jeff Hardy made the threat in a letter sent to NRL chairman John Chalk last Friday.

They are furious with the NRL's decision not to fund their pursuit of damages in the wake of a Supreme Court ruling in September that Gould had defamed Hall, Ayliffe, Roberts and Williams.

The action was triggered by Gould's criticism of the tribunal's decision to impose a six-match suspension on Dragons captain Craig Smith last year made in comments on Macquarie radio's 2GB and in his column in The Sun-Herald, published by John Fairfax, which also publishes the Herald.

A new hearing would determine whether the judiciary representatives are entitled to damages but the NRL is not prepared to continue funding the action.

cat=sport&ctype=story&Params.richmedia=yes&subcat=league&site=smh&adspace=300x250
");document.write(" [SIZE=-1]advertisement[/SIZE]</div>"); } } // -->
NRL chief executive David Gallop had hoped an apology from Gould to the judiciary members would end the matter. However, the judiciary members are adamant they want to seek financial compensation.

"We told the plaintiffs during grand final week, when the matter was in court, that once the defendant offered a full and unreserved apology it was then our view that the necessity for the league to fund the proceedings was removed," Gallop said.

"Having said that, we respect their private rights to continue the litigation, but we don't believe it is appropriate for the league to fund the proceedings beyond that point."

Gallop said he had not seen the letter, which contains all seven members' signatures, but was aware of its contents.

However, he said funding matters were the responsibility of the NRL's joint shareholders, News Ltd and the Australian Rugby League, not the board.
"In any event, the NRL partners have recently re-affirmed that the matter is now a private matter if they [the judiciary members] wish to pursue it for payment of damages," he said.

"The game will always act to protect the reputation and integrity of its tribunals and tribunal members but there must be a point when it becomes a private issue for them to determine the extent to which damages should be paid to them.

"Our decision in relation to funding the proceedings should not in any way be interpreted as giving credibility to the offending comments by Phil Gould.
"[But] if it had been an individual who was bound to the NRL rules, then we would have taken action against the individual or the club under the rules.

It didn't, so court action was necessary, but it couldn't be unlimited."
Asked if he believed the NRL needed to find a new judiciary for next season, Gallop said: "I'd be disappointed if they choose to adopt that course."

But Hall indicated yesterday that the seven tribunal members were prepared to carry through with their threat. "We've asked them to re-consider their position on funding to us and we'll re-consider our position in relation to them," Hall said. "He [Gallop] says we should take an apology. But they never told us that they would cease funding at that stage. We though that they were committed until the end."

Meanwhile, Gallop expressed surprise at Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett's criticism of plans to introduce a golden point rule next season in drawn matches.

Bennett was unable to attend the NRL's annual conference last month, but Gallop said that other Broncos officials had approved the introduction of up to 10 minutes of extra time.

"It got 100 per cent support at the annual conference but unfor- tunately Wayne wasn't there to participate in the debate," he said.

I have selected some quotes from Darrell Williams over the last week in interviews that he has done regarding taking legal action. I can't find any direct quotes or interviews from Royce Ayliffe or Darren Britt.

The threat to sue was it would appear started on 27th of September and made by Williams to Mascord.
Storm erupts over fine

By Steve Mascord September 28, 2008 12:00am
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/nrl/comments/0,27064,24411983-11088,00.html

NRL judiciary members were last night considering legal action against Melbourne Storm after the grand finalists were hit with an unprecedented $50,000 fine for bringing the game into disrepute.

The damage is done Bellamy, says Gallop

Posted Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:24pm AEST
Updated Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:43pm AEST
ABC NEWS
www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/09/29/2377031.htm - 21k
David Gallop says Craig Bellamy's comments are hard to take back. (Getty Images: Matt King)

NRL chief executive David Gallop says Craig Bellamy's apology to the judiciary does not make up for his outlandish comments on the suspension of Storm captain Cam Smith.

Bellamy said he knew that Smith had no chance of beating a grapple tackle charge last week after he saw the betting markets.

He later apologised for suggesting the decision to ban Smith for two matches was made before last Wednesday night's judiciary hearing.

But Mr Gallop says the judiciary panel members are right to be upset about Bellamy's comments.

NRL judiciary panelist recommends taking legal action against Storm

By Steve Mascord | October 01, 2008 12:00am Herald Sun

www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24428333-5001023,00.html

JUDICIARY members have lost patience with Melbourne and panelist Darrell Williams will today recommend they launch immediate legal action against the grand finalists.

Williams put off a meeting with fellow tribunal members Royce Ayliffe and Darren Britt yesterday because he was told the Storm had scheduled an announcement.

"I'll be seeking to resolve this through the courts and will instigate that immediately," Williams told the Daily Telegraph last night.

Williams said he was also unimpressed Storm's captain Cooper Cronk had since said players were "right behind" Bellamy.

"That's an attitude through the whole club that I don't like," he said. "Things will happen from now.

Too little, too late for Melbourne Storm over apology

Brent Read and Stuart Honeysett | October 03, 2008

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24437819-2722,00.html

"While they may be trying to shield their players from it, it's still hanging around," Williams said.

Williams rejects call to delay legal action

BY STEVE JANCETIC

3/10/2008 12:00:00 AM

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/new...jects-call-to-delay-legal-action/1324411.aspx

But Williams dismissed the proposition.

''I am not in the mood to sit down and wait for them to get over their grand final campaign,'' Williams told SBS.

Initially judiciary member Williams claimed he wanted an apology from the Storm before Sunday's grand final, but on Wednesday said he had run out of patience and yesterday officially lodged the claim.

innsaneink

Referee
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/12/11/1039379884734.html
Judiciary threatens walkout if NRL ends defamation funding

By Brad Walter and Roy Masters
December 12 2002

The National Rugby League's entire seven-man judiciary has threatened to resign en-masse over the NRL's decision to stop funding legal action by some panel members against NSW Origin coach Phil Gould.

Judiciary commissioner Jim Hall, chairman Greg Woods, QC, and the five-man panel of former players Royce Ayliffe, Ian Roberts, Darrell Williams, Mal Cochrane and Jeff Hardy made the threat in a letter sent to NRL chairman John Chalk last Friday.

They are furious with the NRL's decision not to fund their pursuit of damages in the wake of a Supreme Court ruling in September that Gould had defamed Hall, Ayliffe, Roberts and Williams.

The action was triggered by Gould's criticism of the tribunal's decision to impose a six-match suspension on Dragons captain Craig Smith last year made in comments on Macquarie radio's 2GB and in his column in The Sun-Herald, published by John Fairfax, which also publishes the Herald.

A new hearing would determine whether the judiciary representatives are entitled to damages but the NRL is not prepared to continue funding the action.

cat=sport&ctype=story&Params.richmedia=yes&subcat=league&site=smh&adspace=300x250
");document.write(" [SIZE=-1]advertisement[/SIZE]</div>"); } } // -->
NRL chief executive David Gallop had hoped an apology from Gould to the judiciary members would end the matter. However, the judiciary members are adamant they want to seek financial compensation.

"We told the plaintiffs during grand final week, when the matter was in court, that once the defendant offered a full and unreserved apology it was then our view that the necessity for the league to fund the proceedings was removed," Gallop said.

"Having said that, we respect their private rights to continue the litigation, but we don't believe it is appropriate for the league to fund the proceedings beyond that point."

Gallop said he had not seen the letter, which contains all seven members' signatures, but was aware of its contents.

However, he said funding matters were the responsibility of the NRL's joint shareholders, News Ltd and the Australian Rugby League, not the board.
"In any event, the NRL partners have recently re-affirmed that the matter is now a private matter if they [the judiciary members] wish to pursue it for payment of damages," he said.

"The game will always act to protect the reputation and integrity of its tribunals and tribunal members but there must be a point when it becomes a private issue for them to determine the extent to which damages should be paid to them.

"Our decision in relation to funding the proceedings should not in any way be interpreted as giving credibility to the offending comments by Phil Gould.
"[But] if it had been an individual who was bound to the NRL rules, then we would have taken action against the individual or the club under the rules.

It didn't, so court action was necessary, but it couldn't be unlimited."
Asked if he believed the NRL needed to find a new judiciary for next season, Gallop said: "I'd be disappointed if they choose to adopt that course."

But Hall indicated yesterday that the seven tribunal members were prepared to carry through with their threat. "We've asked them to re-consider their position on funding to us and we'll re-consider our position in relation to them," Hall said. "He [Gallop] says we should take an apology. But they never told us that they would cease funding at that stage. We though that they were committed until the end."

Meanwhile, Gallop expressed surprise at Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett's criticism of plans to introduce a golden point rule next season in drawn matches.

Bennett was unable to attend the NRL's annual conference last month, but Gallop said that other Broncos officials had approved the introduction of up to 10 minutes of extra time.

"It got 100 per cent support at the annual conference but unfor- tunately Wayne wasn't there to participate in the debate," he said.

I have selected some quotes from Darrell Williams over the last week in interviews that he has done regarding taking legal action. I can't find any direct quotes or interviews from Royce Ayliffe or Darren Britt.

The threat to sue was it would appear started on 27th of September and made by Williams to Mascord.
Storm erupts over fine

By Steve Mascord September 28, 2008 12:00am
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/nrl/comments/0,27064,24411983-11088,00.html

NRL judiciary members were last night considering legal action against Melbourne Storm after the grand finalists were hit with an unprecedented $50,000 fine for bringing the game into disrepute.

The damage is done Bellamy, says Gallop

Posted Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:24pm AEST
Updated Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:43pm AEST
ABC NEWS
www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/09/29/2377031.htm - 21k
David Gallop says Craig Bellamy's comments are hard to take back. (Getty Images: Matt King)

NRL chief executive David Gallop says Craig Bellamy's apology to the judiciary does not make up for his outlandish comments on the suspension of Storm captain Cam Smith.

Bellamy said he knew that Smith had no chance of beating a grapple tackle charge last week after he saw the betting markets.

He later apologised for suggesting the decision to ban Smith for two matches was made before last Wednesday night's judiciary hearing.

But Mr Gallop says the judiciary panel members are right to be upset about Bellamy's comments.

NRL judiciary panelist recommends taking legal action against Storm

By Steve Mascord | October 01, 2008 12:00am Herald Sun

www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24428333-5001023,00.html

JUDICIARY members have lost patience with Melbourne and panelist Darrell Williams will today recommend they launch immediate legal action against the grand finalists.

Williams put off a meeting with fellow tribunal members Royce Ayliffe and Darren Britt yesterday because he was told the Storm had scheduled an announcement.

"I'll be seeking to resolve this through the courts and will instigate that immediately," Williams told the Daily Telegraph last night.

Williams said he was also unimpressed Storm's captain Cooper Cronk had since said players were "right behind" Bellamy.

"That's an attitude through the whole club that I don't like," he said. "Things will happen from now.

Too little, too late for Melbourne Storm over apology

Brent Read and Stuart Honeysett | October 03, 2008

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24437819-2722,00.html

"While they may be trying to shield their players from it, it's still hanging around," Williams said.

Williams rejects call to delay legal action

BY STEVE JANCETIC

3/10/2008 12:00:00 AM

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/new...jects-call-to-delay-legal-action/1324411.aspx

But Williams dismissed the proposition.

''I am not in the mood to sit down and wait for them to get over their grand final campaign,'' Williams told SBS.

Initially judiciary member Williams claimed he wanted an apology from the Storm before Sunday's grand final, but on Wednesday said he had run out of patience and yesterday officially lodged the claim.

....and your point...?