What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too small, slow: verdict on Sonny Bill

nqboy

First Grade
Too small, slow: verdict on Sonny Bill

http://www.rugbyheaven.smh.com.au/articles/2005/02/12/1108061925807.html

Wallabies coach Eddie Jones and the All Blacks have slammed the door on gun Bulldogs second-rower Sonny Bill Williams playing rugby union.

Williams's management has said it will test the water in rugby union as the Bulldogs scramble to find the funds to secure their most important signature.

But Jones has poured cold water on the idea, dismissing the boom 19-year-old as a potential rugby superstar at a testimonial dinner for former NSW cricketer Richard Chee Quee on Wednesday.

"Apart from the fact he's a 'cuzzy bro' [New Zealander], he's not fast enough to play No.7 and he's not big enough to play No.8," Jones replied to a question from compere and former Bulldog Graeme Hughes.

Jones confirmed his views when contacted by The Sun-Herald.

"I don't think you could find a position for him in rugby," Jones said. "He doesn't have the body type. There's no doubt he is a great player. I'd say he was one of the best footballers, athletically, across all the codes in this country.

"It's nice to fantasise about it, but as a No.7, you need someone with the agility of a George Smith or Phil Waugh. And as a No.8, he just doesn't have the size."

Williams last played rugby union as a 17-year-old. He grew up in Auckland, attended a rugby college and played rugby during the week and league at weekends.

The All Blacks have been rumoured to be interested in him before, and speculation surfaced again in the past week.

But the New Zealand Rugby Union has hotly disputed any contact. "We have not been in contact with any rugby league players," NZRU deputy chief executive Steve Tew said. An All Blacks source went further, claiming New Zealand rugby was growing accustomed to rugby league player managers using the black jumper as a bargaining tool.

"We seem to get one of these questions a couple of times every month," the source said. "Whether it's Big Willie [Mason] or Sonny Bill. We get a good laugh out of it because we're not interested."

Despite the lack of interest from the Wallabies and All Blacks, Chris Orr, from Pacific Sports, which manages Williams, said rugby remained an option.

"We won't be showing our cards until we see theirs," he said. "Whether that's the ARU, the All Blacks, a Super 12 team, I'm not sure.

"When we sit down with Sonny Bill, that will be one of the realistic options we investigate."

Waratahs coach Ewen McKenzie would not be drawn into speculation about Williams's rugby potential.

"I wouldn't want to inflate his price on the market," he said.

Williams is entering the final year of his contract with the Bulldogs. He showed an adept turn of foot in his debut NRL season last year. But, standing at 191 centimetres and weighing 102 kilograms, he would be better suited to No.8 in rugby, provided he added some extra size.

"League forwards generally have a tough time making the crossover to rugby," Jones said. "I'd have to watch him very closely if I was was to consider bringing him over."

Orr said he was considering sending a DVD of Williams to NFL teams in the US. "We might send one to the Denver Broncos," he said.

t-ba

Post Whore
:lol: .

This nation seriously needs a third source of print media. I can't stand Fairfax or News Corp.

DIEHARD

----
LRC said:
I hate rugby...but they are probably right...good if they are.

Well if you hate them, start by calling them Union not Rugby.

It gives them the shits. You compliment them by calling them rugby.

Azkatro

First Grade
The ARU don't want him because they can't have him. I'd pay more attention to what the Kiwis think of him.

drake

First Grade
I personally think he is more suited to league than union anyway. His size and speed make him a pefect 2nd rower, whereas in Union he needs to have his pants shoved up his jacksie to play 2nd row. As to him being too slow to be a flanker, bullshit, he's just not suited to scrabbling along the ground.
His shoulder charges are plain illegal in union.
:LOL: at the "cuzzy bro" comment by Eddie.
Choice!

Balmain_Boy

George Smith and Phil Waugh faster and more agile than Sonny Bill?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ahhh excuse me.

Tap Twist Snap

Juniors
Shows the Union guys don't have a brain between them. They would be too scared to see how bad he would make their players look.

rugbynotsoccer

Juniors
Be open minded league tards

Sonny always comes off the bench. Maybe for Nz team he doesn't but he plays pretty ordinary in the last half

Phil waugh, george smith are excellent at the break downs. George is every where even helps covers the breaks while Phil always supporting the forward runners and charge downs.

Balmain_Boy

Hey they might be more skilled UNION forwards. But there is no way in hell they're quicker than him. SB's quick enough to play centre in League.

wittyfan

Referee
Pffft. Eddie Jones is just playing silly mind games. SBW would be awesome in both League and Union.

taipan

Referee
SBW is a true athlete thats probably why he is not suited to union.
With all the breaks and time in play in union, Smith and Waugh get more rest than a hobo on a park bench. ;-)