What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too small, slow: verdict on Sonny Bill

Moffo

Referee
"League forwards generally have a tough time making the crossover to rugby," Jones said. "I'd have to watch him very closely if I was was to consider bringing him over."

What a wanker.

True Jealously. They know that SBW doesn't want to play rah rah so they are slagging him off

In the words of Brenty...Pathetic

rugged

Juniors
Firstly, Jones can afford to say it as he knows that SBW would only play for a NZ super 12 team, not an Australian one. Secondly, he is no doubt sick of all these league managers trying to get a better price for their players by playing the union card.

Thirdly, of course he is just plain wrong but probably said it for the above reasons.

ouwet

Bench
Sonny Bill Williams is the fastest player over 40m at the Bulldogs! And second fastest over 100m.
YES HIS TOO SLOW :?

Balmain_Boy

I'd have to watch him very closely if I was was to consider bringing him over.

The way he says that implies if he wanted to bring him over it would be a forgone conclusion he'd accept. The reality is Sonny rejected his school's calls to play Union whilst growing up, and as such it's unlikely he'd consider making the switch so early in his career - if ever.

Besides, Union is shit.

Te Kaha

First Grade
Balmain_Boy said:
I'd have to watch him very closely if I was was to consider bringing him over.

The way he says that implies if he wanted to bring him over it would be a forgone conclusion he'd accept. The reality is Sonny rejected his school's calls to play Union whilst growing up, and as such it's unlikely he'd consider making the switch so early in his career - if ever.

Besides, Union is sh*t.

What???? from the same article above

Williams last played rugby union as a 17-year-old. He grew up in Auckland, attended a rugby college and played rugby during the week and league at weekends.

Balmain_Boy

Hmm. That's interesting. I am certain I read a quote from Sonny Bill about his school wanting himself and Thomas Leuluai to play Union not League. Perhaps they wanted him to concentrate on union alone?

:-k

Balmain_Boy

My mistake.

There is a lot of pride. When I was growing up, I aspired to play in the black and white of New Zealand. When you put it on, it's a whole buzz. You look at the guys beside you and you know they are going to give it their all.

I played union for school but both my mum and my old man's family grew up in a league background and rugby (union) is too much kicking for me, mate!

A lot of the island boys like to get two hands on the footie and just have a crack.

It must have been that they wanted him to play union only I suppose.

Moffo

Referee
Who cares though, the man is a moron and that's the only thing to come out of that article

Eddie Jones, you love the cock!

tiger_nick

Bench
Does anybody else find it funny they are talking about a league player at a union night?

Does anybody else find it funny this is the only article Ive seen from the night?

Does anybody else find it funny the only way union can get a headline is if it has something to do with league?

They are pathetic. Can you imgaine someone asking Wayne Bennet at a season launch how Phil Waugh would go in a Broncos jersey?

strong_latte

Juniors
SBW is a freak in League, but union is a very different game... I personally reckong he'd be a ripper at number 8 if he put on a tad more bulk, but he'd never be able to shoulder charge again and thats half his draw... He'd also need to get a bit fitter, because while the backs often get a rest during the stoppages of Union, the forwards have to keep going! It's actually very tiring!
Either way he won't go to union IMO. The AB's have more than enough players who are better suited to every position in their team... He'd never be as good as Richie McCaw as a break away and he'd be hard pressed to push Jerry "granite" Collins out of the No.8 jersey...

No, the only thing I'm worried about is this:
nqboy said:
Orr said he was considering sending a DVD of Williams to NFL teams in the US. "We might send one to the Denver Broncos," he said.
I'd hate to lose a great RL up and comer like SBW to the soul less, commercial driven bordom fest that is the NFL. He'd carve up in the NFL because he has stamina that lasts him more than 2 minutes and he can play attacking and defensive footy.

strong_latte

Juniors
tiger_nick said:
Does anybody else find it funny they are talking about a league player at a union night?

Does anybody else find it funny this is the only article Ive seen from the night?

Does anybody else find it funny the only way union can get a headline is if it has something to do with league?

They are pathetic. Can you imgaine someone asking Wayne Bennet at a season launch how Phil Waugh would go in a Broncos jersey?

Ahhh well some of Leagues greatest players have actually come over from union mate... Ever hear of a bloke named ricky stuart?

strong_latte

Juniors
Anyway, why the f**k are you all so hostile to Union anyway??? Union is not a threat to league in australia PERIOD! It's about as much a threat as the NFL as things stand now, and you lot all some to love that shit game! Seriously, you'll whinge about union being boring because of stoppages but support a game that is played around commercials and never continues for more than a play at a time!

Union is a great game, not as good to watch as league IMO, but still a great game!

Broncodroid

Juniors
A read this article to attempt to try and justify their logic...I couldn't and walked off, had a laugh and proceeded to read the funny pages written by Rebecca Wilson in the Telegraph.

Encourage the Rugby admin and fans supporting this BS claim, we want to keep SBW in League. In jest, agree with the rugby faithful, encourage them to look elsewere, perhaps they could look at Josh Perry? :lol:

rugged

Juniors
To be fair to union, they are no doubt sick of all the questions stupid journalists keep asking them about league players too, hence the stupid answer by Eddie Jones, and as I said before they are also no doubt sick of league players managers jerking them around and claiming that union is interested in their player.

t-ba

Post Whore
rugged said:
To be fair to union, they are no doubt sick of all the questions stupid journalists keep asking them about league players too, hence the stupid answer by Eddie Jones, and as I said before they are also no doubt sick of league players managers jerking them around and claiming that union is interested in their player.

Maybe they should stop trying to buy players...and stop writing about RL in thier columns! (Though Wendy is the main offender in the latter regard...We've disowned him!).

RU is not blameless in this business. They really do bring it on themselves. Are we only meant to talk about Code converters at the start of the SL season and the SoO?

strong_latte

Juniors
t-ba said:
RU is not blameless in this business. They really do bring it on themselves. Are we only meant to talk about Code converters at the start of the SL season and the SoO?

The only way RU bring it on themselves is by having the potential to offer players with international status more money than League can... and if you think thats union's fault then your looking at this only as a league fan with no objectivity...

Moffo said:
"League forwards generally have a tough time making the crossover to rugby," Jones said. "I'd have to watch him very closely if I was was to consider bringing him over."

What a wanker.

True Jealously. They know that SBW doesn't want to play rah rah so they are slagging him off

No... They know that Union could offer SBW more money than League and that that can help his price in RL... They also know that the All Blacks currently have the best forward pack in world rugby and they don't any need help from league...

shiznit

Coach
who really cares what eddie jones thinks.
the only opinion's id be wanting from rugby union is mr henry's.
personally i think he could be a number 8/lock. similar to Brad Thorn.
but hell, although id love to see SBW doing the haka in the middle of a packed eden park for the ab's.
i think the young pup loves the kiwi's and kiwi rugby league.
good on him i say.
the world is his oyster.

strong_latte

Juniors
shiznit said:
who really cares what eddie jones thinks.
the only opinion's id be wanting from rugby union is mr henry's.
personally i think he could be a number 8/lock. similar to Brad Thorn.
but hell, although id love to see SBW doing the haka in the middle of a packed eden park for the ab's.
i think the young pup loves the kiwi's and kiwi rugby league.
good on him i say.
the world is his oyster.

Do you reckon he could push Jerry Collins out of Number 8 though? He'd never be able to shoulder charge again if he went to union and that would make him lose heaps of appeal.